Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a few questions about this lately so I thought I'd post this here.

I talked to Bill Rhader today at Polaris Racing Dept. about using a 2003 Pro-X 700 PERC kit on a 2003 Pro-X 800.

He looked up the timing advance difference for me between the Pro-X 700 and 800 CDI because I was wondering if I could use the 700 CDI on my 800 motor without getting it reprogrammed to 800 specs, while at the same time without losing any performance, or maybe actually gain a little performance. I was told by two people(one here on HCS and another on SnoWest) that the 700 has a little hotter timing than the 800, you will see this is not true.

Here are the timing specs:

2003 Pro-X 700:

1100-3000 RPM: 20*
4-5K RPM: 24*
5500-6500 RPM: 26*
7000 RPM: 16*
7500 RPM: 13*
7750 RPM: 12*
8000 RPM: 11*
8400 RPM 10*

2003 Pro-X 800:

2000-5000 RPM: 28*
5500-6500 RPM: 27*
7000 RPM: 16*
7500 RPM: 13*
7750 RPM: 15*
8000 RPM: 17*
8400 RPM: 12*

Obviously there is a big difference between the two timing charts. The 800 has more timing the whole way through the RPM curve. Bill said "I definitly would NOT reccomend running the 700 CDI on your motor(800)". For obvious reasons that the chart shows.

The Polaris Racing Dept. will reprogram 700 CDI's to 800 VES specs for $50. That includes the price of return shipping(from Polaris to your house). If you wish to do this you must ship the CDI to the following address:

Polaris Racing Dept.
ATTN: Bill Rahder
10303 Calumet Ave
Rothschild, WI 54474

You must send a check for $50 made out to "Polaris Racing" and include a return address for them to ship the CDI back to. They ship it UPS so do NOT put your PO Box address as the address for them to mail it back to. I told him I would put the check in an envelope. He said that would be fine. He also said to include your name and what you want done to the CDI. In my case, "Change CDI currently programmed to 2003 Pro-X 700 with PERC specs to 2003 Pro-X 800 specs with PERC". Be sure to include your name on the return shipping address and a phone number would probably be a good idea too in case there's any problems. Write that all down on a piece of paper and include that piece of paper with the check inside the envelope. Then put the envelope in the package that you're shipping the CDI in.

He said the best time to send it would be in the next two weeks before he is busy with the race team again.

If you have any questions you should give him a call at: (715) 355-5157.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
awsome info joel.. :stirthepot: i bet this will help many who are thinking of buying a perc kit for their Pro x´s

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
just another word of wisdom that i found out the hard way on. you cannot add perc to a non perc CDI. now i didnt send mine to Bill, but i had someone else do it and wanted them to add perc. ya no perc, but remapped timing. so now i have to get a perced CDI and have it done again.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I think about it, I know why you can't use a non-PERC CDI and get it reflashed for PERC. The extra wires that PERC requires are not on the non-PERC CDI's and Polaris probably doesn't want to deal with the hassle of taking them apart to solder them on. Not to mention the electronics board on the CDI might just be different.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Instead of starting a new topic I will ask here. I've already got my PERC wiring harness hooked up. But I need to send my 700 PERC CDI out to get reprogrammed for obvious reasons discussed in the first post. I want to run my 800 non PERC CDI this weekend. I assume I won't have any problems running the non perc CDI on the PERC harness? I can't think of any reason why it would cause a problem but just want to make sure.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
The perc cdi plug is different then a non. Won't plug in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
just switch the short wiring harness that attaches to the front of the cdi, then you will be able to use the non perc one.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good thinking, I will do that when I get home. Knowing me I would've replaced the whole main harness and then realized I could've done it like you said. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts