Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my setup...C&A's and the 3 wheel kit... I would have to say it handles about 90+% as good as a zr in the flats...much less inside ski lift..way less body english to turn also...

I give 2 thumbs up...so far.

·
Registered
614 Posts
How is it to adjust the track? Harder, easier. Don't the outter wheels cover up the adjusting nut that is accessed on the side? Or, has it been replaced. TIA

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, just hold the wrench on the inside of the skid..not bad...they suck to begin with :lol:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I think they should come with them from the factory, i could care less about a few pounds if the sled will handle better!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like the high degree of rider input. This is why I prefer our Fircats over our Rev, as a smaller rider I can throw the Firecats around and they react to slight input. Makes the fun factor very high for me.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Originally posted by The Outdoor Shop@Mar 10 2003, 09:18 PM
With my setup...C&A's and the 3 wheel kit... I would have to say it handles about 90+% as good as a zr in the flats...much less inside ski lift..way less body english to turn also...

I give 2 thumbs up...so far.
So,if it was 90+% as good as a zr now,what % did you consider it before the kit was installed?

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
70-75..it handled fine..but now you don't HAVE to work as hard.. But of course the harder you try to ride it , the better it rides..different than a zr..but now on fast smooth trails, its more forgiving..though I only installed it because people kept asking me how they worked...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Dan,

I've got the 3 wheel kit as well and love it. I also added a 5/8" Swaybar and that really helped as well. Try that and I thnik you'll find the missing 10%.

·
Registered
780 Posts
3 rd wheel runs in the middle, with 2 outside the rails, with the 4 wheel kit, 2 are in stock position, 2 are added outside the rails.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Since ski stance, not track width is the determening factor on stability, I would say it is a big waste of money. Better off putting it towards other accessories in my opinion!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I don't think that ski width is the only determining factor for stability. When you are on the power with the skis is the air what do you think the skis are doing for stability? The track width/ridigness definitely contributes to the stability IMO.

·
Registered
252 Posts
zl5600,
I heard this ski stance quote from the marketing/sales manager at the central New York sled show last fall. I sounded good to me at the time, but he also said that the sled wasn't anymore tippier than a ZR and didn't push. I believe almost all Firecat owners, especially ones coming off Zr's will dispute. So you're saying that a 20" wide track Bearcat is just as stable as a Firecat. I don't think so, I realize they are totally different sleds, but I still belive the example illustrates my point.

catfish

·
Registered
780 Posts
What the 3 wheel kit really helps with is to reduce the tendency for the rear end to snap into oversteer on entry into high speed corners(like when your running roads). Without the wheel kit it felt like the rear end was rolling over onto itself. With it this feeling was eliminated allowing me to push it much harder.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have ridden with the 5/8 sway bar for 7 years now. It is the only way to ride. It makes cornering so much flatter. Little more ski chatter on the ice but well worth it..........

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
I guess what I am saying is that 3/4 inch (on each side) will not make that much of a difference. Rear suspension set up is the real key to flat cornering. Spring settings and limiter strap settings that is. You do not have much more track overhang with out the wheels on the outside of the track. I think the 10 tooth drivers and having more track on the ground is alot of the trouble, or a better word should be different feeling. The sled was designed for more rider input which should translate into a more fun sled to ride, instead of just sitting there. Just an opinion. Only limited time on a firecat, but thought it was worlds ahead of my well set up zl 600. Could run circles around it and inside of it.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Dan, how do you like the C&A Pro Skis for trail use? I was thinking about them but thought they might be too aggressive on groomed trails.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by zl5600@Mar 11 2003, 12:22 PM
Since ski stance, not track width is the determening factor on stability, I would say it is a big waste of money. Better off putting it towards other accessories in my opinion!
Not only is the track 3/4" narrower on each side, the skid fram rails are also closer together. These variables in conjunction with the lack of outside wheels contributes to the sled being more tippy. The track also has the ability to "bite" into the corner unsuspectingly when you are in a turn and this contributes to tipping. With the wheel kit, it will cut down on this and give some more stability to the outer section of the track. The front suspension gives and allows the sled to "roll" over, so ski stance really doesn't play a role. Common sense tells us that the ZR chassis has the same ski stance, but a wider track and skid frame, so....

I would buy the sway bar idea also.

Good input here.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
I don't buy it. The one I rode railed in the corners. No more ski lift than my zl. Best handling sled I have ever been on!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts