Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it pretty much a guessing game when it comes to the waterpump seals on the big cat triples when buying them used? How can you tell if the coolant is getting into the countershaft. I found a lower mile (Under 4000) ZRT800 and would hate to drag it home and find out bearings in the counter balance shaft are toast. Assuming most guys are doing the waterpump rebuild right away after buying them?

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
4,351 Posts
There is a weep hole on them. That's your tell. If it starts to "weep" out then it's done. Problem is that most don't look at it. Otherwise a summer repair on a T-cat especially is smart at 2000mi I understand. What kind of mileage is on yours ?

·
Registered
997 Posts
For the cost of the water pump rebuild and the cost of another engine, do the water pump. Be sure to buy the rubber washer that goes under the 10mm bolt. It can seep and not go out the weep hole and still get into the bearings. It migrates very slowly. Seen a few that did that, ......believe it, or not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The 600 doesn't have the issues like the big block triples, My biggest concern on the 800 is the O-ring seal around the housing is a big issue. It will dry out and crack and cause an air leak right into the balance shaft bearing and suck air in and it will keep the oil away from that bearing and then it kills it, then the bearing goes out, takes the wp with it and then dumps antifreeze into the crankcase through the balance shaft area at a high rate, and anti freeze is not a good lubricant then it starts burning the antifreeze and smoking and then it shoots a rod out of the block and breaks the case. Then its all over... ask me how i know!!! So, I never put a big block in with out doing a complete water pump rebuild and I also replace those damn phillips head bolts with allen head stainless ones thank hold the pump together.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. I've been looking for a 600 since they are very common around here. Most have changed hands many times and the condition has gone down hill. Every once in a while an 800 or t-cat pops up usually kept in better condition. There still seems to be tons of guys in my area buying them (triples) the zrt800 I was going to look at sold in a week. There are no lakes around here at all so I'm quite puzzled why everyone is enamored with them. We have got 2 big storms that rolled through so I'm guessing people are buying them because of the price point.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Is it pretty much a guessing game when it comes to the waterpump seals on the big cat triples when buying them used? How can you tell if the coolant is getting into the countershaft. I found a lower mile (Under 4000) ZRT800 and would hate to drag it home and find out bearings in the counter balance shaft are toast. Assuming most guys are doing the waterpump rebuild right away after buying them?
Kind of a crap shoot there...you may not always see a leak, but if you are using anti-freeze and there is no obvious leak, it may be leaking internally...keep a close watch on coolant reservoir...if there are no signs of leaks anywhere, i would run it keeping a watch on it... in my experience though, i find that if these sleds sit for long periods without starting, is hard on water pumps... i always start my triples in off season, and have had very good luck....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts