Hardcore Sledder banner

Used Axys Chassis Sled Advice

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  orville-x 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get back in to riding more and want to buy a used machine.
I've had Yamahas and Ski-doos in the past but was impressed with the Axys chassis rental I rode last year (base switchback 144").
I liked the ergos as well as any sled I had ridden in the past, but of course that basic shock package was what it was.

I need some advice on what to look for in a used Polaris as I don't know the product line as well as the Ski-doo.
In yellow-land I would be looking for a 600 or 800 Renagade 137".
I'd like a good rebuildable shock package and a known-reliable 2 Stroke no-carb engine.
What Polaris models should I be looking to? What specific model/engine years should I try to avoid (first year issues, bad year issues)?

Thanks for any advice!

#2 ·
The first thing to think about is what kind of riding you intend to do and what expectations do you have for the sled. Have a preference for track length? A 600 is a reliable, strong-running engine, but is it fast enough to suit you and the type of riding you want to do? As far as years to avoid, I'll suggest to be wary of "first year" anything, though neither the 600 or 800 really had years where there were problems to the extent that you "never" want to buy one. The first year 800 HO had a few performance gremlins (some sleds more than others), but every year after that got better.

#3 ·
Thanks. I've been riding most of my life, just had some bad luck with a couple sleds that drove me to sell out and just rent once a year.
A 600 would be enough for me but what I find most of are 800s on the used market, so may end up with an 800.
Which year was the first year for the 800 HO? Any other common engine first years take place since 2015?
As for track length, I am open to 129 through 144 I guess, 1.25" through 1.5" lug.
I'd like a decent shock package that can take some abuse because when the trails get bumpy, we keep riding.

#5 ·
The engine question was already answered, so I'll skip that. There isn't anything wrong with the 800, but some of them do get ridden hard. The '18 models and up are the most "up to date" related to all the changes that have been made over the years. There are also some maintenance items you need to be prepared to do once you start getting into the 5-6K mile range. Are you set on a conventional tunnel sled like the Indy or the SB Assault vs the Rush/Switchback style? Depending on the type of riding you do, one may suit you better than the other. The Rush isn't the best choice off-trail, but many argue it is a better choice for trail riding. Both have good shock packages, so either will work that way. Some people just can't get past the look of the Rush, though. The Rush has been build a few more years than the Indy, so there will be more of them out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.