Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting new bushings and upper and lower bearings in the sled today and pulled the top a-arm off the sled on one side's spindle and noticed there are no washers on either side of the spindle where the bearing goes through. Other spindle side has the washers so figured i'd better grab some for this side. (Stupid previous owners and their hack job shit!)

Anyways:

part #Washer-7/16 Sae,Stf,Thru-Hrd-Y, 7556212.

so look it up and they're a damn fortune at $8 a piece. What's so special on these washers that i can't just go and grab some 7/16" washers at home depot??

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
putting new bushings and upper and lower bearings in the sled today and pulled the top a-arm off the sled on one side's spindle and noticed there are no washers on either side of the spindle where the bearing goes through. Other spindle side has the washers so figured i'd better grab some for this side. (Stupid previous owners and their hack job shit!)

Anyways:

so look it up and they're a damn fortune at $8 a piece. What's so special on these washers that i can't just go and grab some 7/16" washers at home depot??

I believe they are stainless, but still wouldn’t be $8.

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man, will look for 7/16" stainless. Good grief, don't mind paying a bit more to support my dealer, but wtf! they also look to be the same washers that they use for the accessory tether switch.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Not stainless.
See:
https://www.google.com/search?q=part+#Washer-7/16+Sae,Stf,Thru-Hrd-Y,+7556212.&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjv252_6PXoAhWFBc0KHcFADK0Q_AUoAnoECAsQAg&biw=317&bih=434#imgrc=hNiidtRB254ocM

Thru hardened washers are typically irridited yellow, like grade 8 washers are.
Washers with the same id can have different od’s. So measure what you have and hit the net.

Your search terms should start with thru hardened washer.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not stainless.
See:
https://www.google.com/search?q=part+#Washer-7/16+Sae,Stf,Thru-Hrd-Y,+7556212.&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjv252_6PXoAhWFBc0KHcFADK0Q_AUoAnoECAsQAg&biw=317&bih=434#imgrc=hNiidtRB254ocM

Thru hardened washers are typically irridited yellow, like grade 8 washers are.
Washers with the same id can have different od’s. So measure what you have and hit the net.

Your search terms should start with thru hardened washer.

Hope that helps.
yes, they have a yellow hue. So, you're saying that i can't use a grade 8 washer in this application?

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i bought some grade 5 washers that are a larger OD but same 7/16" ID. Figuring that something is better than nothing considering there was nothing there one the one side for who knows how long from the PO. I know i've driven it 2000 miles so far and nothing has broken with the two washers not being there.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
yes, they have a yellow hue. So, you're saying that i can't use a grade 8 washer in this application?
I believe grade 8 washers are thru hardened, so yeh, you can use them.

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess i'm not understanding why they have to be grade 8 hardness. the washers are only acting as a bushing on top and bottom of the top of the spindle from what i can see. And i can't find any grade 8 7/16" ID washers here anywhere without having to buy 100 of them from Fastenal, lol

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k, found some through hardened 7/16" at Grainger. My company has an account with them so i can get 25 of these washers for $2.59. Only issue is that they are 3/32" thickness, so they are thicker than OEM, but i think these should work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts