Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look I know this topic has been beat to death but how much of a pain is it to put an 04 pro-x 440 to trail duty.I have found a good deal on one.....

1) I have heard that the seat has to be pushed back a bit when adding a big tank.
Does it move it so much that it causes it to be terribly uncomfortable??

2)I have also heard on this site of water pump gear issues. Is there a fix besides tearing the motor down and changing the gear to 03 spec??? I thought someone mentioned a drip bottle of some sort?? My ultimate plan would be to add a 600 or 800 motor at some point but it might be a little while.

3)Are the bars so far forward that you cant comfortably trail ride it??
I ride hard standing up some of the time but certainly not all the time.
I had an 03 pro-x 440 with a 600 motor, and I loved the way the bar position was on that. How much further ahead is the bar on the 04??

thanks for the help guys
Tyler

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Ty, get in touch w/NHRev, he'll be able to tell ya all you need to know. The only thing im sure of is that the bars are like 4-5" further ahead than the 03's, the steering shaft is on the front side of the recoil, instead of stuff behind...

·
Registered
160 Posts
You do have to change the seat postion to put a larger tank on, tank does not fit perfect, there are tabs on either side that stick out duw to steering geometry of the 440's chassis.

You can change the head so that you can run high test fuel instead of race fuel.

Water Pump gear.......

You can change the gear to the '03 model. I sent my motor back to Polaris and had them fix it after mine had the problem.

They changed every moving part in the engine and built a new case for it. In the case they made an enclosure around the water pump gear and filled it with cahincase fluid so that the gear is constantly lubricated and can't get hot (which causes the problem). There is a drip bottle atached now to make sure that the fluid level in the case never gets low.

The sled in race form is a blast to ride, much like riding a dirt bike. Suspension is really stiff, although it lands like a big pillow from heights that I wouldn't put a normal sled.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The seat does not get pushed back so far its uncomfortable with the bigger tank. It only goes back about 2" I'd say. I loosened up my handle bar riser and rolled the bars back a little bit to make it comfortable while seated. Of course on this sled you'll be standing most of the time anyways, so seat comfort isn't really an issue. Mine was just for sitting while stopped. The big tank can be a bit of a problem to some though. The steering hoop is so narrow the tank doesn't fit into it like it does on standard pro x's, so there are "ears" that hang out over the tunnel a little on each side against the console. I found it to be no problem, my legs just rested against the ears while standing no problem.

As for the gears. Basically you've been told your two chocies, drip line or swap to '03 gears. I know nothing of the work or cost involved in a drip line. Going to the '03 gears will cost you the price of the gears ($200), crank disassembly and reassembly to install center gear ($105 or so), and a new mechanical seal to be pressed into/onto pump shaft/case assembly ($20 seal, machinst doing crank installed for me). And these prices are if you take the motor down to the crank yourself.

Handlebar position is perfect, no problems trail riding at all. All in all sled is a blast to ride in the tight trails. In a perfect world I'd have a bigger sled for trail riding and one of these to beat around on. In reality I'll take the pro x2 I currently have to be my one sled.

If time and money are no object I'd build one of these sleds up and throw a 600 small block in with a 660 kit. It'd be untouchable on the trails. :div20:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like it wont be such a good deal if I have to put all this money into it.
Water pump gear fix- sounds like around $400
Big tank- $ 100-300
92 octane head kit $135-150

Maybe I should consider some other options
thanks
Tyler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts