Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting my '06 FST through it's paces and I can say it's been working really good.
Oil level hasn't increased one bit.
Cold starting has improved greatly.
And this baby has the power.
Gas Mileage is right around 17. And that's breaking trail with about inches of powder.

I couldn't be happier especially since the snow gods just dumped that 15 inches on us yesterday. AWESOME................

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've been putting my '06 FST through it's paces and I can say it's been working really good.
Oil level hasn't increased one bit.
Cold starting has improved greatly.
And this baby has the power.
Gas Mileage is right around 17. And that's breaking trail with about inches of powder.

I couldn't be happier especially since the snow gods just dumped that 15 inches on us yesterday. AWESOME................

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!![/b]
That is great news! I am glad somebody is having fun. I could actually mow my lawn today. Grass is green and seems to be growing. WTF :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have snow, put 110 miles on over the weekend. NO change in operating temp, still in the 155 range, mileage was 14.7.

Real-Steel, do you notice more popping out of the exhaust since the update? It happens on both of my switchbacks during deceleration.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,317 Posts
We have snow, put 110 miles on over the weekend. NO change in operating temp, still in the 155 range, mileage was 14.7.

Real-Steel, do you notice more popping out of the exhaust since the update? It happens on both of my switchbacks during deceleration.[/b]
The deceleration pop at lower speeds is common with the MY07 reflash. I am going to carry a few extra exhaust springs, in case one is broken during this stress.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Real-Steel, do you notice more popping out of the exhaust since the update? It happens on both of my switchbacks during deceleration.[/b]

There wouldn't be any change in the temp since the thermostat is not changed.

·
Registered
952 Posts
There wouldn't be any change in the temp since the thermostat is not changed.[/b]
You are correct Bluetoy. I think some of us are confusing oil temp with water temp. The temp on the dash is water temp. That should stay the same as before even though the oil temp is now warmer in the resevoir.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reflash and updates on 06 FST is questionable!!! Took my sled out on saturday and did 70 miles on 12 inches of fresh snow. My FST had lots of power, same as last year maybe a little more. Very hard pulling thru all that snow so did not check the gas mileage. The temp ran between 150-160. Did notice my temp gauge fluctuating down to 110-120 and creep back up to 150 during long hard accelleration in the deep stuff. On hard pack the temp seemed more consistent.
I also had a fresh oil change done before the trip and the oil level on the dipstick was at the half mark. I rechecked after the ride and the oil had risen way over the full mark!!! I did siphon some out all the way back to the add mark on the dipstick. The oil did indeed smell gas!!! I'm wondering if my fluctuating temp would cause my engine to run '' too rich '' at times??? I will keep an eye on my temp gauge and oil issue.
Anybody else seen these fluctuating engine temp :dunno:

·
Registered
39 Posts
rb-fst....experienced the fluctuating temp issue this past weekend, the temps were fluctuating a lot,the temp never did reach normal temp, seemd to bob around between 105-130... engine light was on,but has since disappeared,along with the fluctuating temps...this is first time for that.,..have had the 07 reflash and do not notice any increase in operating temp...still run around mid 150's to low 160's...that is with rad removed(have run like that since new, no problem with overheating)...seems like very little increase in oil level, but oil does seem to have a gasy smell to it....have u found a dealer in mb that is well experienced with the FST...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Did you measure how much oil you took out? Also just for a base line, did you check the level after a mile of running?

If you got the reprogram, did you get the oil restictor put in place in the rad? If you sled ran well last year finding an additional 5 or 10 hp isn't going to be easy.

Keep us posted on this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
rb-fst....experienced the fluctuating temp issue this past weekend, the temps were fluctuating a lot,the temp never did reach normal temp, seemd to bob around between 105-130... engine light was on,but has since disappeared,along with the fluctuating temps...this is first time for that.,..have had the 07 reflash and do not notice any increase in operating temp...still run around mid 150's to low 160's...that is with rad removed(have run like that since new, no problem with overheating)...seems like very little increase in oil level, but oil does seem to have a gasy smell to it....have u found a dealer in mb that is well experienced with the FST...[/b]
littlejoe........... My dealer in MB has only sold 2 06FST's. He has updated mine and will be doing his own shortly. He is well informed about the Polaris Bulletins on the FST's BUT only has 2 06 sleds for feedback!!! Don't get me wrong, he's a very good and honest dealer but I think his experience with FST's is limited. He told me to keep him up to date with the reflash. I did not phone him yet on my fluctuating temps and oil level.
My engine light was never on.
Hope this helps :cn:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you measure how much oil you took out? Also just for a base line, did you check the level after a mile of running?

If you got the reprogram, did you get the oil restictor put in place in the rad? If you sled ran well last year finding an additional 5 or 10 hp isn't going to be easy.

Keep us posted on this.[/b]

Smokeless1................. I did not measure how much oil I took out but it's probably half a litre. It's at the ADD mark now instead of halfway mark. Did not run the sled for a mile but did let it idle in the shop till the temp reached 160. This is when I rechecked the level. [ halfway mark ] Yes the oil restrictor was put in place.

My dealer went thru all Polaris updates for my FST :div20:

Hope this helps :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,317 Posts
rb-fst....experienced the fluctuating temp issue this past weekend, the temps were fluctuating a lot,the temp never did reach normal temp, seemd to bob around between 105-130... engine light was on,but has since disappeared,along with the fluctuating temps...this is first time for that.,..have had the 07 reflash and do not notice any increase in operating temp...still run around mid 150's to low 160's...that is with rad removed(have run like that since new, no problem with overheating)...seems like very little increase in oil level, but oil does seem to have a gasy smell to it....have u found a dealer in mb that is well experienced with the FST...[/b]
I am confused after reading your post.

Is your sled running 105-130 or mid 150s?

Also... from the factory all these FST sleds have the 5135328 restrictor in the coolant line going thru the oil cooler.

The MY06 update included a SLEEVE that forces the coolant to quickly go straight thru the oil cooler, as opposed to branching out thru the passages in the oil cooler.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Reflash and updates on 06 FST is questionable!!! Took my sled out on saturday and did 70 miles on 12 inches of fresh snow. My FST had lots of power, same as last year maybe a little more. Very hard pulling thru all that snow so did not check the gas mileage. The temp ran between 150-160. Did notice my temp gauge fluctuating down to 110-120 and creep back up to 150 during long hard accelleration in the deep stuff. On hard pack the temp seemed more consistent.
I also had a fresh oil change done before the trip and the oil level on the dipstick was at the half mark. I rechecked after the ride and the oil had risen way over the full mark!!! I did siphon some out all the way back to the add mark on the dipstick. The oil did indeed smell gas!!! I'm wondering if my fluctuating temp would cause my engine to run '' too rich '' at times??? I will keep an eye on my temp gauge and oil issue.
Anybody else seen these fluctuating engine temp :dunno:[/b]

RB

With the temp running down to as low as 110 after warm up, seems that either the sending unit is bad, or the thermostat is staying stuck open. These sleds want to be running much warmer up to 180-185 range and since by design they are being jammed with fuel, adding even more fuel to the mix because the engine believes it is still in the warm-up mode, is only going to feed the too much fuel issue and I believe will continue to get fuel in the oil. You are under warrantee, so take it back. If it is not the sending unit giving you false readings to the gauge, then tell the dealer to dig down into the bowels and change out the thermostat. Those who have taken matters into their own hands and put the $5 autoparts thermostat in, have stopped the fuel in the oil issue.

In MY opinion, Polaris is trying everything they can to get the oil temp up without the increase in coolant temp. But it is clear to me that getting the coolant temp up by putting in the 180 degree thermostat will pretty much stop the gas in the oil issue because it boils it off. Side benefit from the hotter thermo will be even better fuel mileage, as we will no doubt see once some snow drops across the midwest and people get a chance to run these sleds with the factory updates.

Once the sled gets hotter most of the poor fuel economy and fuel in the oil will go away. But we have yet to see over a few weeks how the factory fix is going....since few have had much riding time to find out. Please keep us informed as to what your dealer figures out and how he handles it. Your dealer sounds like he wants to get this fixed for you and that is a good sign. Please keep us up to date on what happens. Good luck.

·
Registered
952 Posts
rb-fst....experienced the fluctuating temp issue this past weekend, the temps were fluctuating a lot,the temp never did reach normal temp, seemd to bob around between 105-130... engine light was on,but has since disappeared,along with the fluctuating temps[/b]
One way to tell if it is the sending unit is by the readings. If they are jumping by 20 deg in a second, it is probably the unit. If the temps only move a couple to 5 degrees each update then I would lean towards the thermo. Last year I had to replace the sending unit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had this very same problem last year. This summer polaris changed my motor and since then.............with the one flippin time I've had a change to ride it................the temps are stable. I believe it was air causing it in mine, the dealer was in there alot last year. The new motor was a core so they had to transfer all the accesorries to the new motor so it's the same sending unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One way to tell if it is the sending unit is by the readings. If they are jumping by 20 deg in a second, it is probably the unit. If the temps only move a couple to 5 degrees each update then I would lean towards the thermo. Last year I had to replace the sending unit.[/b]

Snowbeeler...................... My temp readings are jumping by 20 deg in a second.....seems like a bad unit or air in the system as '' Flash 700 '' mentioned.....I'll have my dealer change the sending unit and bleed the system. I remember last year it also did it once or twice late in the season. Thanks :div20:

Thanks guys for your replies :beerchug:

I'll keep you guys posted on the results!!! :div20:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Snowbeeler...................... My temp readings are jumping by 20 deg in a second.....seems like a bad unit or air in the system as '' Flash 700 '' mentioned.....I'll have my dealer change the sending unit and bleed the system. I remember last year it also did it once or twice late in the season. Thanks :div20:

Thanks guys for your replies :beerchug:

I'll keep you guys posted on the results!!! :div20:[/b]
Bleeding might very well be the issue here. I know when the new ECU flash, shield, and sleeve were done my old dealer had to unhook some hoses and use clamps so that they didn't leak antifreeze all over......although some did on mine. I wonder if some air is getting in there because of this??

Also, remember there is a Team Tip from last year that i recall on proper bleeding of the coolant system. That sounds like a very good possibility and a good first check before taking back to dealer if your like me and your dealer is 1 hour away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
excursionpsd...sorry for the confusion...normal operating temps usually run at mid 150's to low 160's, but when the erratic temp issue occured the temp never did go past 130, and the readings were jumping by 10-15 deg in seconds...sounds like it might have been a stuck thermastat???....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Took the 06 SB out to Lake for its first ride since the updates,not much snow,BUT the next day(Sun) we got 30 cm here in Manitoba, so you can bet the short track is now parked, any how the temp reached 192 as I was trying to get threw a very long strech of swamp with no snow at 2-3mph, I was just waiting for something to happen, but reached a lake with some snow and it went back down to 155 and stayed till hit the next trail but I would say all the updates are fine I did notice a very dim red light on the brake light indicator but disappeared when the sled was running longer and Iam not sure what this is, otherwise its could to be back on the long track. :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts