Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The grand total now is 4 primary clutches and one secondary clutch and 14 belts in 380 miles. And get this, I went into the shop last week to check on my sled. They told me I needed to call the local Arctic Cat warranty guy in charge of all warranty claims throughout Alaska. This guy told me he was no longer going to warranty my sled. After a half hour yelling match, I think he finally saw things my way. This is inconceviable that they would even try something as low as this on a sled I have owned for 4 months. I tried to tell the guy that my sled was a lemon and he was trying to tell me it wasn't, that HE has to classify it as a lemon. I have had it with Arctic Cat. This is my first and last Cat I will ever buy. The warranty guy even had the nerve to tell me it was my fault that the sled was burning down clutches. Don't get me wrong I like the sled when it is running. Which in my case in only about 10% of the time and it seemes to me that, although the shop has been really helpful, no one actually know whats wrong with it and they are just throwing parts at it. The first gearing change was to a 1.9 ratio. It burnt a clutch up that weekend. Now it is at a 2.1 ratio. They have changed the weights and went to a white gold spring in hopes that all this would solve the problem of burning clutches. I have not paid for any of these aftermarket parts that they have put on. I can't tell you how helpful my dealer has been in trying to fix my sled in a very timely manner. The mechanics at the shop have never seen a sled take so many clutches in such a short period of time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That sucks! Every manufacturer has and does build lemons, and it sounds like you have one! Too bad that you feel that you have to give up on AC. But, from reading what you have in your garage, I can understand where you are coming from. (The overall quality built of your Honda and Yamaha's)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a skidoo doing that once, it turned out the runout on the crank was way off. Trued crank and problem solved I'm sure they checked that already though. good luck and let us know what it is when you figure it out...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sounds to me that even though your dealer is being very helpful, they have no clue what they are doing. Its like they keep changing the faulty Firestone Tires and replacing them with faulty Firestone tires. Doesn't sound like it is the clutch that is causing the problem, but something else causing the clutch to burn up, don't you think?? ditchpickle may be on the right track.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Originally posted by ditchpickle@Jan 26 2003, 03:11 PM
I had a skidoo doing that once, it turned out the runout on the crank was way off. Trued crank and problem solved I'm sure they checked that already though. good luck and let us know what it is when you figure it out...
Had this same problem on two sleds that I have worked on. I would think that if a dealer replaces the same part for the same problem more than twice the the need to be looking else where and not trying to alter the set up that no other sled has a problem with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer checked the runout and said it was fine. They said that the motor was aligned properly. The clutching is, on the primary, white gold spring, 68 gram polaris weights, and the gearing ratio is now 2.1. They were talking aobut putting a straight helix on instead of the deul angle helix that is currently on it, thinking that might help. But they have not done that yet.

Thad

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
Is the clutch sticking closed?? I missed all this...what exactly happens to the clutch..they did also check center distance offset etc....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the primary clutch is getting so hot that it is melting down. My first two got so hot that they turned blue. They checked the runout, the clutch alignment and the motor position and it was all good. They thought it might be my gearing so they changed the gearing to a 1.9 ratio but it burnt yet another clutch my very next ride. They then went to a 2.1 ratio. I have not had a chance to ride it with the new gearing. They thought it might be where I am riding (up in the mountians) but there are a lot of other f7's out riding in the same place I am with their stock clutches and gearing and not having the problems that I am.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts