Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
20,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over on amsnow earlier, and found Greg has replied to a question on the mapping.

Here's the topic:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GLS help reprogamed ECU
keithf7 on 2/1/2003 1:22:00 PM

What is AC doing when they reprogram ECU after a burn down. see ecu reprogram in forums thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gls on 2/1/2003 2:13:00 PM

Keithf7.
The seizures are coolant temp/oil related. The ECU has a high coolant temp corection map for fuel. This map adds an increased percentage of fuel based on coolant temp in the engine. We are are lowering the temp at which the system adds fuel. This added fuel begins when the hot light comes on. There is no change to fuel or timing at normal operating temps or RPM's. We are also finding a very large tolerance in oil pump delivery at low TVO. Typically the oil pump arm can be shortened (turned in) 2-3 turns by turning the threaded portion of the arm. I have seen up to 5 turns available until it bottoms out. This can mean a large difference in fuel oil ratio at low throttle. Were studying these and many other things as they relate to seizures on some sleds but yet so many don't. Were working very hard on this situation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I'd put this out there for those of you who don't have access to the pay side at amsnow.

Chris

·
Administrator
20,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is in the "typical" category from my previous Cats. If anything, I may consider turning it down a notch. But my feeling is, richer is safer .... and I'm not exactly going through oil like it's out of style. Dave Cat, you sound like the minority of the Cat riders with a "lean" setup. Did you do some tweaking on your own?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
no, have not touched it, marks line up, but i use about 1/2 as much oil as my buddys green f-7 sno-pro.
i would rather buy the oil than wait for cylinder and piston!!
i used less than a quart in almost 200 miles, thats 1/2 as much as my old zr 800 c.cntry.
may pick my dealers mechanics brain on this one,
am i using too little or is my bud's using too much, i don't know? :unsure: :blink:

·
Administrator
20,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow ... if you're using less than a quart in 200 miles I'd say your running a little lean. Have you checked your plugs yet? I'm adding about a quart every 130-150 miles, and that's close to what I used to have to do on my old ZR (not quite as rich as that sled though).

I would probably turn yours up a notch, and definitely would talk with the dealer to see what they say.

Anyone else out there know what kind of oil consumption they're going through?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
plugs look good, light brown, a little lighter than previous sleds, just figured the efi was the difference
what gets me is, if the oil marks line up on both sleds they should consume close to the same!
we ride the same way right with each other, i'm either wide open or close to it out of every corner, thats probaly saved the engine if anything

·
Administrator
20,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep ridin' it like you stole it man!! :lol:

I'd be interested to hear what your dealer says, so keep me in mind if/when you talk with him.

Later!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
you got it, i'm sure he will say turn it up and use the oil!
1- he sells oil!
2- he does'nt have any cylinders or pistons in stock

and i buy a new sled from him every year, he already told me if my f-7 goes south, he would give me a zr 900 to ride

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
we were in houghto,mi last week! all of us plus some rookies, so you can imagine the fun! put on another 600 miles with no probs. i wish you were closer, the girls in houghton are beautiful, its a college town
keep in touch!
want to come back to ny in march, if i do we will stay at the `edge motel, by trailside!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts