Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'd like to say that I'm very happy that I stumbled across this site, I've spent the last 3 days pretty much reading every single topic in here, and wow, you guys are some crazy smart cookies so I figure I'd look for some expert opinions here.

Ok first off, I've been out of snowmobiling now for about 8 years, the last sled I had was a *cough* 92 Polaris 500... I'm looking to get back into sledding again and would really like to join the Cat club.... I've been to the dealers and before I read all this stuff I had narrowed my decission down to a 04 ZR900 (old new stock) or a 05 F7...The guy quoted me about the same price for both. I was leaning towards the ZR only because most of the guys I would be riding with are Doo heads and I figured I'd go big just to show'em up.... I had been so excited about the idea that I haven't been sleeping at night just thinking about it, that is until I started reading the posts in here about the DD prob, kinda blew the wind outta my sails. Anyway I don't know what to do, all I want is to buy a stocker and keep it stock maybe a pipe and some VERY MINOR clutching cuz I don't have the $$$ to fund any sort of major build. All my buddies just run stock as well but I don't want to get spanked riding a 900 and watch my buddies 700 REV go by.

So my question is this STOCK 04 ZR or STOCK F7...Keep in mind I don't want to do any major mods. Or do I look at another manufacturer??

Thanks guys

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hey welcome to the site,

well, if your ok with the idea of going right onto a 900cc snowmobile without riding bigger than a 500cc ever, and not riding one period for 8 years ill tell you what i know.

the DD that your are reading about is the diamond drive system that arctic cat came out with for the perfomance snowmobiles and mountain sleds. in 2004 no snowmobiles had them because they came out with them in 2005, so the F7 your thinking of does have one. Personally i have heard nothing (complaining) about them.

but, the ZR 900 will get you passed a lot of sleds, but let me just compare HP on the 2, for the 2004 ZR 900 (150 HP) for the 2005 F7 (140 HP) there is only 10 HP differance in 200cc's. stock and stock im pretty sure the F7 (dont know about the 2005's) will take anything out of the hole. but the ZR 900 would get a lot on top end. im not sure about trhe 2005's because of the DD and the clutching that everyone talks about.

if your thinking of trail riding a lot, the ZR 900 would probably out perform turned and stuff, the F7's are a little tippier than the ZR's due to the 13.5 inch track. but if your going to do a little of both (trail, ditch riding) definatly get the F7. a lot easier to handlemoving from side to side.

i hope i got everything that you wanted to hear about these. just ask if theres anything else.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input I am however confused on one issue, you mentioned that the DD system wasn't implimented until 05, but from what I've read in this forum it was implimented in all the 04 sleds, which is why everyone is saying not to go with an 04 because they used a different primary on the 04's to the 05's, and the benifit to the 05's is that an 06 clutch assemb. will fit on an 05 but not 04...crap now I'm really confused....

LOL, I know I should warm up on a smaller sled having not ridden in such a long time, well not to say I haven't ridden period, just haven't owned my own sled in a while, actually the last thing I rode (that wasn't mine) was my old boss's 99 ZRT 1208 (hooper kit). That was only in a straight line mind you. My thoughts on going bigger is just that for thr $$$ I have to spend I don't wanna buy a lesser sled for a year or 2 till I get bored of it and have to trade up plus $$ for bigger, maybe I'll have the will power not to squeeze it so hard for the first little while!!!

Anyway could someone clear up the whole DD question, when was it installed??

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I believe that the DD system was implemented for the model year 2005. I think that the only justified complaint was that reverse was not an option.

About the only way the F7 will be beat by any other stock sled will be in a long open stretch. I think that once you get the feel and dial in the sled, the F series is what you would want.

I do not think that any of your buddies will blow you away, no matter what size sled they are running, especially if you are running the trails.

·
Registered
927 Posts
yes the DD was only intoduced in the 2005 model sleds, the 2004's did not have them, i am almost 100% sure. and yes the clutch on the 2005's is a little scetchy, but the only isue with it is the top end loss, it doesnt shift in at the right time on the top gear to allow the sled to move freely threw HP, so it takes up a lot when it does change to get the sled moving at a high speed.

but im pretty sure the DD was intoduced in 2005 only, then on to 2006. but like scubasteve said, the F7 will pick up in bottom end what the 900 gets in top end, so if you want to win races in 500 feet go with the F7, if you want to run lakes go with the 900.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok... so to get this straight the 04's have a chain and sproket set up and the 05's and on have the DD??

Then why is everyone saying the 04's are slugs??

·
Registered
927 Posts
o ok, sorry, i just searched it and yeh they were on the 2004's also i guess. im sorry i didnt know they were before 2005.

but still as i said, get the 900 if you want to lake race, and the F7 for speed runs. depends on what you ride like. if it was me id get the F7 and i run lakes, the clutch might take away some top end but the pull off the line gets you ahead of everything for a long dstance.

·
Registered
445 Posts
2004 zr 900s came with the dd system.my buddy has one.works good just no top end to speak of.guess i cant say much cant get any topend out of the t with it set up the way i like it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
04 ZR 900 first year for dd. 05 F7 first year on F chassis :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Originally posted by scubasteve@Aug 25 2005, 10:50 AM
I believe that the DD system was implemented for the model year 2005.  I think that the only justified complaint was that reverse was not an option. 

About the only way the F7 will be beat by any other stock sled will be in a long open stretch.  I think that once you get the feel and dial in the sled, the F series is what you would want.

I do not think that any of your buddies will blow you away, no matter what size sled they are running, especially if you are running the trails.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=847338
[/quote]

Sorry for the misinformation, I guess. I thought that the DD was going onto the 05's first. My bad.

I believe that some of the ecu units for the 04's needed to be reprogrammed to have higher output, but obviously, I could be wrong on this, too.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Find the '04 F-7, or get an '05 F-7 EFI with REVERSE. The reverse mandates the chain and sprocket and avoids the DD.
For my money I'd avoid the DD sleds. And the ZR. The Zr is swell, but it isn't a Firecat. You should be able to find an F-7 R efi.
When you get the F-7, come back here for tuning advice.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats interesting, I never knew that if it has reverse it'll have sprocket and chain, I went on their web site and found that the only 05 F7 that has reverse is the carb SP...odd thanks for the info!

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Carbs are fine, and better in fact if you add a pipe (s)...Stock, it can be jetted way down safely, adding another 3 - 4 hp over what it was...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
carbs are old school...

get the EFI... much better than carbs IMO....

if i were you id be looking for a 05 ZR 900EFI SP :div20:

the 05 performed better than the 04 your dealer is trying to get rid of.... 04 is a good sled but 05 is better....

if you get the 05 you can probly get a 3 year warranty with it too!

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
I watched some 04 900's and 03-04 F7 race for about a mile on ice, the F7's blew the 900's with DD away none radared any better than 106- 108mph the F7's were running between 110 113mph, the 05 F7 is also hurting from DD, I would stick with the chain case, atleast untill they show improvement, like said above the R model still has chain this would be my choice, I also like the carb, but no carb model for 06 R's. Bigger secondary for 06 surposed to help top end, we will see.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by scubasteve@Aug 25 2005, 12:26 PM
Sorry for the misinformation, I guess.  I thought that the DD was going onto the 05's first.  My bad. 

I believe that some of the ecu units for the 04's needed to be reprogrammed to have higher output, but obviously, I could be wrong on this, too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=847509
[/quote]
ecus were to cure a low to midrange richness, usually at the expense of top end though

·
Registered
927 Posts
i really dont see why people fus over the DD when it only takes out a little top end MPH. its really no big deal. how many people buy a sled and want that extra mph when its up in the high of speed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts