Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing that my sliders (hyfax) are wearing very quickly at the front of the skid frame just behind the drivers. I realize that is where the most wear will occur but the wear at this point is very excessive!! Shortening the limiter strap would help this wouldn't it ? the track seems to have lots of slack ( I never have adjusted it and I feel that if it's not ratcheting your o.k.) Any body have thought or ideas ? I been hearing so much conflicting information that I'm hesitant to shorten the straps to help this issue but on the other hand some more ski pressure might help in the conering department. Thanks in advance!! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
shortening the straps should decrease slider wear, as you are decreasing the track angle and putting more weight on the skis. If you are seeing slider wear either your track is too tight or you are riding in no-snow conditions. I've got almost 2300 miles on a snopro with no visible wear to the sliders.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think your track may be too loose check to make sure your deflection is correct should be 1 1/4 to 1 1/2.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Originally posted by Finner@Jan 17 2003, 05:29 PM
I think your track may be too loose check to make sure your deflection is correct should be 1 1/4 to 1 1/2.
A loose track should NOT increase hyfax wear. ;)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
SHORTEN YOUR STRAPS AND CHECK THE ALINEMENT AND TENSION ON YOUR TRACK

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
SHORTEN YOUR STRAPS AND CHECK THE ALINEMENT AND TENSION ON YOUR TRACK

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm finding the same thing. Snow conditions are acceptable.
I got 1700miles out of a set of hyfax
on my ZR600.
Any body have experience with switching these out. Do they go
through the track?

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Jan 16 2003, 03:46 PM
shortening the straps should decrease slider wear, as you are decreasing the track angle and putting more weight on the skis. If you are seeing slider wear either your track is too tight or you are riding in no-snow conditions. I've got almost 2300 miles on a snopro with no visible wear to the sliders.
Man, you ride in some Ideal conditions Rob! I could only wish for those conditions. Mine seem to only last 500-600 miles every year. I usually go through a set of carbides every trip or so.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nick,
It's a SNOWmobile! 1 trip through a pair of carbides is brutal! These things last all year! And I'm not always riding on ideal conditions!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think Cat screws up on the tracks on the f's. If you look at them closely, you'll see how much rubber surface on the track there is in between the track clips. looking at my sled it appears the rubber is hard on the hi-fax in the front curve of the rail because of the attack angle. If you shorten your limiters its going to help alot, but the way this track is configured, I dont think that there is going to be anyway to get the same hi-fax life out of the f's as the zr's unless cat comes out with some sort of optional wheel kit for them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was having the same problems w/ my F7 standard, I went thru my first set of slides at 300 miles ( wearing in the same area as yours.) & have made a few adjustments that worked for me. :)
First adjustment moved the rear couplers to the 1 (i also checked my track deflection & this was fine) position & this reduced the wear some, 2nd adjustment, I loosened the rear shock spring about a 1/4 of an inch from the bottom & adjusted my limiter straps to match the snopro (I have the 1.375 " lug track) & now have put 600 additional miles on the 2nd set of hyfax w/ no additional wear. ;)

·
Registered
580 Posts
My ZL does the same thing, I cranked up the limiter straps which helps but with a .75 track the back end gets loose, may have to stud or put a one inch track to compensate.

·
Registered
269 Posts
on my second set.replaced them at about 600 miles. mostly due to low snow conditions on connecter roads.also on second set of carbides. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I am on my second pair of hyfaxs granted low snow conditions and on ice I tried loosing the limiter strap but then you loose some traction hyfaxs are cheap so I put it back to factory settings

1 - 16 of 16 Posts