Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....I did what I said I'd never do. I have never strayed away from a Polaris belt in the past, but for the price, I had to try one.

Polaris dealer wants $98 for a 1075 belt. I picked up a Carlisle Ultimax III for $80. I measured them up and can't find any distinguishable difference. Belt width is pretty much identical. Belt length does not appear any different either. When I installed it in the clutch I did not have to change secondary height either in comparison to a new Polaris 1075 belt either.

You can tell by feel that the Ultimax is a harder compound than the Polaris. I have never run one before and it is currently sitting on my clutch gaurd as a spare since my current belt does not require changing at this time.

Just wondering what to expect when I do end up running it.....longer break in, less RPMS? etc...etc..

·
Registered
435 Posts
I put one on my 99 xc700 and it lasted about 3 hours. A guy we ride with has an arctic cat 600 and was dying to ride my sled. So I let him on a lake, (figured he could use a smile), Any how, He was holding it wide open and that was the end of the belt. It exploded. I just run the polaris belts. I was sold when the original belt lasted 3 seasons and I burn't it up pulling fire wood out of the woods with the sled.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I just picked up my 800 XCR this spring, I got to take it out for the first time just a few days ago. The previous owner (300lbs + dude) said the sled was rock solid at 8500 RPM's. I noticed the belt that was on it when I bought it was not in the greatest shape, so I replaced it with that same belt you are talking about (Ultimax3) before I went out on that first ride.

I am seeing 8800-9000 RPM's....not sure if it is the new belt, or the 100 less pounds of meat hanging onto the throttle.....

Anyway, I'll post if I see any problems next time out.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I just picked up my 800 XCR this spring, I got to take it out for the first time just a few days ago. The previous owner (300lbs + dude) said the sled was rock solid at 8500 RPM's. I noticed the belt that was on it when I bought it was not in the greatest shape, so I replaced it with that same belt you are talking about (Ultimax3) before I went out on that first ride.

I am seeing 8800-9000 RPM's....not sure if it is the new belt, or the 100 less pounds of meat hanging onto the throttle.....

Anyway, I'll post if I see any problems next time out.[/b]
i run ultimax 3 here with no problems. easily put over 2000 miles on each one i have ran.

and you should check what peak RPM is on your sled, with you being 100lbs lighter, you are correct about RPM's higher with that much lighter weight on it.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I have ran them on all my sleds now for several years. Going way back to the Ultimax 2's, they have been very good IMHO. Very long belt life. I have had well over 3,000 miles on them, never had a blown one.
If people are seeing major RPM increases, it may be from not cleaning the belts first? They do seem very "greasy" when new, so I wash them in a sink full of hot water and dish soap first. I've seen very little increase in RPM's. If you do have a set-up with belt slippage, and clutches running hot, it might be worse with an Ultimax 3 than a stock belt.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Also have ran them for years. You will have higher RPMs. Good belt but they don't launch like the stock softy belt. A little more heat tolerant. As mentioned wash the gooey mold release compound off it before use. I always put new ones through the dishwasher when the wife isn't around...........

·
Registered
264 Posts
You will usually see 300 or more rpm due to the hardness off the belt. If you have a bog outta the hole , a ultimax is a good fix for it. Used to see a increase of 6 to 700 on my 650's with the ultimax.............LOL! Hows the xcr working so far six?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You will usually see 300 or more rpm due to the hardness off the belt. If you have a bog outta the hole , a ultimax is a good fix for it. Used to see a increase of 6 to 700 on my 650's with the ultimax.............LOL! Hows the xcr working so far six?[/b]
Good info! That's likely the reason my XCR is over revving. Instead of buying heavier clutch weights I just bought a brand new 1075 on ebay for 50 bucks. Looks like the ultimax is now a spare.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will usually see 300 or more rpm due to the hardness off the belt. If you have a bog outta the hole , a ultimax is a good fix for it. Used to see a increase of 6 to 700 on my 650's with the ultimax.............LOL! Hows the xcr working so far six?[/b]
Hey TG,

The XCR is runnin' great. Probably the best it's run for a while. Hmm...that 300 RPM increase is not great news. Kind of shitty actually. I don't understand why the Polaris belts are so fuggin' expensinve. They went up about $5 from last year to this year. I know....I know....a guy should bitch about stuff like this cause its the cost of recreation, but man, I'm gettin' a sore back from always bending over and grabbin' my ankles if ya know what I mean. :banghead:

I wasn't sure on the Ultimax belt, but I thought I'd give it a try. If anything, if it don't work or I get a large increase in RPMs, I'll just leave it as a spare belt on the clutch gaurd and stick with a Polaris belt.

Ps: sent ya an email.... :div20:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have ran them back to back against the radar gun at competition and saw no difference. other than the harder belt will slip a little on take off when you have absolute traction and are a little agressive. I have 4 like new poos and one like new daco on the floor. this is the fist sled to never blow a belt for me!!! I would like to think I have enough belts for well over 5 years. maybe 20 years with winters like this. lol

compared to the older poo belts for the smaller sleds the daycos were a lot longer lasting. like for the piped xlt's and ultras. you could blow a poo belt in a good day. the daycos really were an improvement then. now they are just less money.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have ran them back to back against the radar gun at competition and saw no difference. other than the harder belt will slip a little on take off when you have absolute traction and are a little agressive. I have 4 like new poos and one like new daco on the floor. this is the fist sled to never blow a belt for me!!! I would like to think I have enough belts for well over 5 years. maybe 20 years with winters like this. lol

compared to the older poo belts for the smaller sleds the daycos were a lot longer lasting. like for the piped xlt's and ultras. you could blow a poo belt in a good day. the daycos really were an improvement then. now they are just less money.[/b]
I guess with the harder compound and the belt slippage, it would depend greatly on your current setup? If you have very aggressive helix with lax springs, I guess it would definately accentuate the problem of causing the overrev due to belt slippage..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey six, I run them on my race sleds with pretty good results. If your setup is really marginal for belt slippage, they will slip a little more. Then again, if your that marginal, you're going to have problems anyway so correct the clutching. Don't be afraid of them, I've never experienced any RPM difference between them and Polaris.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
for the price difference I will be buying the high hp aaen belts. they are less than half price of polaris belt. but have never blown a belt or burnt one bad enough to be an issue I hope I can go years without needing a new one.

t

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.