Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sled still has a problem running on 1 cylinder, today I took a compression test and both cylinders to my suprise both read 110 on the compression gauge, is that what a 97 ZR 440 is spossed to have? I figure that there cant be a problem with a piston or rings if both sides are the same. Now as to the one cylinder runnin problem, the PTO piston WILL NOT suck any gas up! I put a new plug in there a little while back, rode the thing around and it looked shiny and new when I pulled it back out while the MAG side is burnin nicely with a light tan color. I pulled the carbs apart twice now. The first time the bowl was empty and the needle was stickin a little bit so we pulled that apart again today but this time there was gas in it. I dont think its a carb issue now. We pulled the reed cage on the PTO side, the thing looked like it just came from the factory! No problems there. Both plugs seem to fire great when we check em so I dont think there is an ignition problem! I just dont understand the thing. I think I need to hit the fuel pump next . . . . :wacko: ! This is sooo discouraging because we have such BEAUTIFUL snow conditions here in Western Mass I just wanna get the thing runnin to roost some snow before winter is over <_<

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check you fuel lines into the carbs...is there fuel moving into them.....pump could be dirty...seen a pump lean a sled out and cooked her. I have the same sled and I'm replacing a jackshaft on it...also found a cooling hose rubbing under the shaft...poke my finger though it!! this morning Your problem sounds like fuel...check all hoses...sometimes they get soft and mushy...and shut off fuel feeds. How many her on it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its got a single fuel cut off, you are definatly right greenskin its definatly a fuel problem. There seems to be a little fuel in the line heading to the problem carb, but maybe its not enough. Im gonna have to say like one of the fuel outlets in the fuel pump has some crap in it blockin it, hopefully I can get this ditch pickle runnin tommorow :mellow:

·
Registered
539 Posts
ck. your fuel pump pressureshould be 3lbs. at idle,5lbs. at3000rpms and 7lbs. at 6000rpms,fuel pumps should be rebuilt every other year, it only costs about $4.50 for a kit.also ck. your pto crank seal,i have seen cylinders not drawing fuel due to bad crank seal,i have seen crank seals go after only 3 seasons.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks 600, Ill rebuild the fuel pump. The PTO seal in it right now is BRAND new, just put in this past weekend, I hope I got it in there right!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts