Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1980 Polaris Indy TX-L 340 and put it back togethher and got it running it runs not bad then i got told it might still have a race engine in it but i was wandering what hp it was from stock and any other info on it like carbs and stuff thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
About 56 hp. It had to meet the 56hp rule to race cross country. 38mm carbs, sneaky power for its size.

What is the model number on the engine tag and/or waterpump housing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats great thanks so you have more info on it if i find the numbers on the water pump how would i find out if it has been raced and what has been done to the engine becasue my buddy and boss have 1977 cats panterra 5000 and it cleans them out for power thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on the txl my lights are dim when it is running but if i let it sit and idle for a bit it will go as its should but as soon as i rev iit up they go dim what could this be a regulator or ground or whats please help and what kind of performance stuff can i get nd where i was wanting like tuned pipes and a performance electrical system for the spark plugs like big coils or something so it will have lots of spark to go thanks for the help

·
Registered
19 Posts
It may be hard to find pipes for an older sled like this but you may see if Aaen has any around. I have used his pipes on a lot of sleds and they have always made good power, the sound is pretty nice as well.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
no need to change the ignition system, it puts out plenty of spark to handle anything you do to it. as stated, Aaen is about the only one that would have pipes for it, you can also try SLP as a long shot. they may have some laying around in the wharehouse. the carbs are standard 38mm roundslide Mikunis. i used to get good luck jetting to 35 pilots and 240 mains with mine. i also lowered the float level. the book says to flip the carb upside down and set the float arm to parallel with the carb body. i raised the float arm (when looking at the carb upside down) to the same angle as the carb sits in the machine. you will notice that the carbs tip down ward from inlet to out let when installed. that same angle is the one you need to arm to be when the carb is upside down. basically it is about 1/16" up at the float arm tips from parallel. this keeps the floats from over feeding the pilot jets and flooding you out (running rich) at idle speeds. also try some B modified weights and red primary spring with the straight 36 degree helix and grey secondary spring. i also geared mine to 19-39. the set-up worked very well for most conditions.

·
Registered
406 Posts
U-Con, I just bought a '78 TX440 FA 2 weeks ago, can anyone tell me what the hp is rating for that? From what I hear, '78 440 F/A was a bit higher hp than the previous '76 - '77 440s. Also, whats the peak revs should it be with stock pipe? Any information(s) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. WL :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.