Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to Radio Shack and picked up a pair of Motorola 2-way radios with the "VOX" (voice activated) feature on them. The radios came in a pair for $70.00 + Tax and a pair of VOX head sets for $20.00 ea. I tried them out on the four wheelers today and they operated perfectly. I will be using them up to the U.P. this March.

The ear loop/bud is universal for each ear and fits perfectly under the helmet; I attached the mic to the chin strap. The radio clips to your belt and you do not even realize it is there. This sure does beat the $200.00 - $300.00 price range for the helmet packages.

Oh, I forgot to mention...the radios also have a built in weather band too. For around $120.00 you have a very decent communication system! Just make sure you by the radios with "VOX" or "iVOX" capabilities on them.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Just as a caution, we tried a set with vox and the first sled to take off would activate his speaker and the other guy would just hear them untill they were out of range or stopped. We could not turn the sensitivity low enough, these were not Motorola (unsure of brand) and on two strokes.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Never thought about 2 stroke or 4 stroke differences but you have a good point. My midlands with VOX work great but then again I'm on a 4 stroke. The vibrate feature is nice also..

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
I just went to Radio Shack and picked up a pair of Motorola 2-way radios with the "VOX" (voice activated) feature on them. The radios came in a pair for $70.00 + Tax and a pair of VOX head sets for $20.00 ea. I tried them out on the four wheelers today and they operated perfectly. I will be using them up to the U.P. this March.

The ear loop/bud is universal for each ear and fits perfectly under the helmet; I attached the mic to the chin strap. The radio clips to your belt and you do not even realize it is there. This sure does beat the $200.00 - $300.00 price range for the helmet packages.

Oh, I forgot to mention...the radios also have a built in weather band too. For around $120.00 you have a very decent communication system! Just make sure you by the radios with "VOX" or "iVOX" capabilities on them.

Just my 2 cents.[/b]

Got a set with VOX gonna try that thanks for the info :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
can you get these radios with a push to talk button on the handle bars?[/b]
My group has used this set-up (web address below) using the Motorola Talkabouts (or equivalent) for the last 8 years or so. They are perfect for riding, but will produce a little feedback when you are within arms reach of each other. Otherwise, well worth the money. You can also find them at Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Dick's, etc.

https://www.rflimited.com/Site.asp?CID=3

·
Registered
331 Posts
can you guys list whuch setup you have? i'm really looking for something i can use with my wife.

I just want to make sure i get the right thing and those other communicators are really expensive!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts