Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I have to say how pleased I am to have discovered this forum. This is my first post although I have been following conversation for sometime. I drive a 2002 zl800efi ss and I would like your comments on two questions. First- I've read that some people have had some shock failure (electronic ) and when this happens the suspension behaves like a typical ZL suspension with Ride FX shocks. Is there any measurable method of determining if the SS suspension is doing what it was designed to do or are you required to remember how it was initially and make comparison? Second- Has anyone thought about or done a conversion from the 121 inch track to 136 inch track with the SS suspension? How do you think this change might affect how the suspension works? Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My understanding of the SS suspension from what I've read on Amsnow is that it defaults to the softest valving if the electronics fail. How you could know if this is your situation must be in the "seat of the pants" feel. Ride it, then disconnect the wiring and ride it again to determine if there is any difference.
Don't forget that the SS system uses ACT shocks which must be serviced periodically, just like the other non-SS ACT or Fox equipped CAT's. The seals and oil in the SS shocks will deteriorate just the same as those other shocks and keep in mind that the initial build quality of the ACT shocks has always been suspect.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Hey Tic call the guys over at Deycore they rebuild shocks. They had mentioned on one of these boards of problems with the SS shocks and had a way to fix it. Theres a guy around here his name is something like 800ss or ss800. He long tracked his to 144 with a 2 inch he seemed to like it. Had to throw in some more cooling to run on the roads

1 - 3 of 3 Posts