Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much difference d&d twin pipes will be on my dad's 01 zr 800?

i have a set of used ones we found that we can prolly get fo cheap

·
Registered
930 Posts
D&D claims 155-158 hp with their twin pipes on the 800. Keep in mind, twin pipes are not necessarily just a bolt on and go item...clutching and jetting needs to be matched and then there is the noise issue as well...Marc

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a set on my '02 ZR 800 and we got them to run with no burndowns. You need to be sure that you have the jetting and carb needles set properly or you could burn down a piston and cylinder under the right conditions. Trust me I have done it. These pipes are for the guy who is a tuner. Do your home work and be sure you understand what is required to use them. If you want more performance without the reliability issues try a single pipe with air box mods and a clutch kit. Oh, by the way the twins are quieter than the single I run now. It's the can that makes the noise difference. Arnie

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by acampney@Dec 9 2002, 12:57 PM
Oh, by the way the twins are quieter than the single I run now. It's the can that makes the noise difference. Arnie
Good catch...I was thinking the entire system...Marc

·
Registered
242 Posts
My Buddy bought a 2001 ZR 800 same time as I did. He bought the D&D kit. (twin pipes, reeds, airbox, timing key) and the D&D clutch kit. I kept miine stock. He burned down his motor the first year because D&D gave him the wrong jets. Last year he had to fuss with his clutching constantly and still couldn't get it right. It does sound good but when we raced, we were either even or I took him. I don't think D&D got it right that year. May be better now. I think if I was spending the $$$$ I would look elsewhere.

Just my 2¢

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my 600 has pipes reeds chip and its clutched, but with the quiet can silencer its sound almost stock, probably a little louder. My dad is runnung a D&D power pack (something like that) silencer so noice is already very high, as for D&D i think they seem to be much better than my black magic junk, we arn't afraid to mess with the jets, or clutches, i just wanted to know how big the increase really was. by the way he is already clutched by D&D...

thanks for the info guys, for 100-200 buck i think the pipes will be pretty good

-mike

·
Registered
956 Posts
Buy a single unless all you do is lake race? twins are very hard to clutch small power band with the single your clutching can be off some and still run good because of wide power band.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The speedwerx single pipe seems to work the best .They will tell you what to jet the sled to and also have a good clutch kit .The web site is www.speedwerx.com . This is a good all around setup for racing and trail riding.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
We sold a few SW single on 8's 9's and I did a 1010 SW kit with ine too..They work good and I have all the clutch specs...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he doesn't need a pipe or pipes its just he can get a good deal for knowing the people...D&D twin pipes

- mike...

FIRST RIDE THE 27TH-1st....colebrooks and vermont :D

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
ooops. I would say to the real ?, I seem to dislike twin pipes on the 8-1000 twin set-ups. They are finicky and are not even close to be as nice and torquey on the trail...my opinion...

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
i have a speedwerx single pipe ceramic coated and silencer and reeds, spacers,gears,420 jets,clutch kit, air box and it runs great. i would take the single speedwerx over d and d or psi anyday. my friend has psi and they are loud and they have no power, the d and d coating is flacking on his twins and he spent about 950 for pipes and silencers

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I just got MyZR700 with D&D twins running.
BTW it is Quieter than the srock with the MBRP silencer.
And you are right. The power band is narrow and higher on mine at least. Clutching it wasn't too bad.
BUT the setup is a bit steep for trails. On mine I am running 4700 engage and 8100 tops.
Jetting wasn't too bad either. Follow D&D's step to start. BUT watch you wash and plugs. I ended up tow steps down fron their recommend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts