Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I just went by an hour ago and not even a site of tracks on road in to it and a huge snow bank at the road w/ more snow on the way. I doubt there will be any parking or entrance to the pond this year, unless a big loader clears the way.
IS THERE A PLOWED TRACK THERE YET?[/b]

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
As someone who rode the lakes the other day just down the street (drew lake, stumpfield) I can say you would have to be insane to drive a vehicle of any type on the lake and not be moving 40 miles an hour or more. I think there is ice under there somewhere, but it is covered by at least a foot of slush/water...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Sorry guys - I haven't been paying attention. Turkey in junk for ice racing. Unless this warm spell melts all the snow and then it gets cold before it snows again, I don't think it will be any good this year. I was on the ice when it was -10* Thursday night. After I dug thru the 18" of snow, I found 4" of slush. We rode it a lot this weekend (staying off of the track area) and brought up tons of slush. The ice under the slush is very good - I don't know how thick it is at the boat launch, but it's 12+ inches north of the 89 bridge.

I plowed the entrance tonight, but you're gonna get stuck driving down to the pond (ask me how I know). I will not plow the ice any time soon as it will do no good and beat the **** out of my truck.

Is there any good racing ice in NH? How's Back lake?

I think it's time to put the asphalt tracks back on and head to Atco!

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Sorry guys - I haven't been paying attention. Turkey in junk for ice racing. Unless this warm spell melts all the snow and then it gets cold before it snows again, I don't think it will be any good this year. I was on the ice when it was -10* Thursday night. After I dug thru the 18" of snow, I found 4" of slush. We rode it a lot this weekend (staying off of the track area) and brought up tons of slush. The ice under the slush is very good - I don't know how thick it is at the boat launch, but it's 12+ inches north of the 89 bridge.

I plowed the entrance tonight, but you're gonna get stuck driving down to the pond (ask me how I know). I will not plow the ice any time soon as it will do no good and beat the **** out of my truck.

Is there any good racing ice in NH? How's Back lake?

I think it's time to put the asphalt tracks back on and head to Atco![/b]
thanks for the update.
im going to gess this warm weather will take it down pretty good with the rain as well, so maybe it will work out for next month. we'll see

·
Registered
978 Posts
Most of the snow is gone from the pond this morning. The track area is glare ice. I don't know how thick it is in the parking area, but I suspect we'll be in good shape for ice racing this weekend.

I drove my explorer down to the pond from the road last night - the snow in the short road to the pond is deep, but I didn't get stuck too bad. Some traffic should pack it down and make it a non-issue.

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Most of the snow is gone from the pond this morning. The track area is glare ice. I don't know how thick it is in the parking area, but I suspect we'll be in good shape for ice racing this weekend.

I drove my explorer down to the pond from the road last night - the snow in the short road to the pond is deep, but I didn't get stuck too bad. Some traffic should pack it down and make it a non-issue.[/b]
so its looking good?
what day sat or sun or both

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
drove by today on my way back from work. doesn't look to bad over by the 89 bridge. thinking i might head over saturday to check it out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
drove by today on my way back from work. doesn't look to bad over by the 89 bridge. thinking i might head over saturday to check it out.[/b]
is there enough ice to park on th elake??????if so ill be there

·
Registered
978 Posts
I know there is a foot out past the I-89 bridge, but I don't have an ice auger, so I can't tell you how thick it is in the cove. Does somebody have an auger that they can bring?

Possibly one of the ice fishermen will let me use an auger for a few minutes if I get out there early enough. If so, I'll post the measurement in the AM

·
Registered
978 Posts
I just drove down in with my explorer and got quite stuck in the deep wet snow on the road - again, more traffic will fix that (as will the sub-freezing temps tonite).

The edges of the ice have slush, but there is no standing water on the racing surface, and it doesn't look slushy out there because the snow was gone before the rain.

I'll run down on my sled at 7am to see if I can find somebody to loan me an auger. I'll also see if the slush has firmed up. I'll also make a bunch of runs up and down the access road to pack it down. Then I'll report conditions around 8:30am. The current temp at the pond is 34*. I'll post what time it goes below 32 so we know how many hours of sub-freezing temps we have.

·
Registered
978 Posts
32 and falling at 9pm. We should have 12+ hours of sub-freezing temps.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I use a 1" hole drill bit with an extension then use anything with a hook(coat hanger) to feel for the bottom of ice. It always worked well for me, JUST MAKE SURE you do more than one test hole. You could be drilling an air bubble or a randomly thick section of ice ect..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts