Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Event if we could turbo the f7s which im not sure of, i dont think you would like the way it would run. The turbo spools up from exhaust pressure, then a waist gate releases the pressure. Any ways with turbos it not like they are always on so if you goign around the turn and the turbo isnt on then half way through the turn it kicks in, most likly you will end up in some ditch with the sled on top of you

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sledhead88- www.aerocharger.com/snow&atv.htm They only show a Thundercat on their site, but if their site is like many others they don't have a up to date site listing everything. I'm sure someone could come up with one for the F cat. If you use a small enough turbine and compressor there isn't much lag, if any at all. That is how they put turbos on vehicles from the factory (cars I mean). A small turbo will have good throttle response, and a larger one will make more peak hp. That is why the import guys sometimes replace a stock twin turbo setup with a huge single for dragracing. There are turbo snowmobiles and motorcycles out there that are perfectly trail/street rideable. By the way- a turbo is always 'on'. If the turbo wasn't spinning there would be a major restriction of airflow. You are thinking of what happens with a large turbo. The larger turbos take a second to 'spool up' and this causes slow throttle response. The wastegate is mainly used to bypass a small amount of exhaust gas past the turbine. This is needed when the turbo is near making max boost and there is excess exhaust gas pressure. Turbo response is affected by throttle position. The only reason it would give a violent reaction halfway through a turn such as SnoStalker suggests is if you let off the throttle and then open it up again. The turbo would 'stall' from the throttle being closed and intake air backing up. When you got on the throttle again, the turbo would have to come from nearly no rpm's to a few 10,000 rpm's in almost no time. This is where a large turbo would show slow throttle response, but a properly engineered system would shine. I do agree with dave cat 7 about a supercharger giving more linear power delivery, but that is mainly for engines that are used a low rpm's such a a street v8. When you think about a snowmobile clutch not engaging until around 5000 rpm in most performance snowmobiles, then a turbo makes good sense. By the time you are at 5000 rpm the turbo should be making decent boost with a good flow of exhaust gases to back it up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What motorcycles are you speaking of the last steet bike that was a turbo that I can remember was the GPZ 750 turbo and they stopped selling those because of the problems with people crashing them?

·
Registered
320 Posts
There are only cars with stock turbos currently. I was referring to aftermarket turbo systems for motorcycles and snowmobiles.

"That is how they put turbos on vehicles from the factory (cars I mean)."

·
Registered
336 Posts
:huh: Personally, I think the F7 stands in it's class alone. Mine is stock, and it kicks ass. I debated putting a WhoopAss kit on, but I think that I'm going to leave her stock. I'm not big into racing though...only where there are no trees!! I'm satisfied with the stock performance. If you turbo charge it, hang on tight!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts