Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Yes that dB test from totally yamaha. Very nice test. But under load is where you see a stock mod. Is. Much quieter than sq.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
how does the free flowing of an exhaust affect the knock and therefore the knock light....in the picture you show a gauge light and a separate light...so its possible to have both warnings?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
how does the free flowing of an exhaust affect the knock and therefore the knock light....in the picture you show a gauge light and a separate light...so its possible to have both warnings?
Freer flowing exhaust Should help get those nasty free radicals out to the combustion chamber thus helping to delay the onset of pre-ignition which leads to detonation.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My super quiet on my winder is quieter than my super quiet on my zuk. It's a littler different sound too so maybe just cause it sounds better. No drone issues last year for 1100 miles or problems with dnr here in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There are multiple warnings. Temp light in dash, low octane code if you trigger the protection (heavier knock), low temp flashing in digital dash. And in the TD flasher (GAP) you can see it in the top of the icons as well as in the log. You can even log the exact knock signal and the computer timing retard action.

Also the easiest to see will be our well knock TD knock light that mounts externally.

A freeflow exhaust typically reduces the chances of knock IF the tune is not too lean

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My super quiet on my winder is quieter than my super quiet on my zuk. It's a littler different sound too so maybe just cause it sounds better. No drone issues last year for 1100 miles or problems with dnr here in Wisconsin.
Thanks for the testamonial. I also think they aren't loud. :bc:

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Twinrats496 question on the other post copied here:
"
1) Does the factory 998 have a knock sensor?
2) Does the factory ECM use the knock signal to protect the engine?
3) If it has a sensor and uses it (if not why does it have a sensor then?) what is the protection procedure?"

1- Yes
2- It does, but it's not effective
3- It seems like it's just incomplete. They ran out of time to finish it or was not happy with the detection. It's essentially is very limited in what protection it offers and detection almost non existent.

It is a very complex operation. We are working independently (myself and another engineer) + the GAP team and their main engineer and Hurricane is providing testing on his side too. We all contribute to the knock light signal as a team right now.

Of course each shop will have to fine tune the knock detection sequence in their own way.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts

I listened to a test of it and others recently and it was by far the mildest sounding...and your report reconfirms my thoughts...

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Twinrats496 question on the other post copied here:
"
1) Does the factory 998 have a knock sensor?
2) Does the factory ECM use the knock signal to protect the engine?
3) If it has a sensor and uses it (if not why does it have a sensor then?) what is the protection procedure?"

1- Yes
2- It does, but it's not effective
3- It seems like it's just incomplete. They ran out of time to finish it or was not happy with the detection. It's essentially is very limited in what protection it offers and detection almost non existent.

It is a very complex operation. We are working independently (myself and another engineer) + the GAP team and their main engineer and Hurricane is providing testing on his side too. We all contribute to the knock light signal as a team right now.

Of course each shop will have to fine tune the knock detection sequence in their own way.

Thats awesome....

21 - 32 of 32 Posts