Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well i got out of the Phazer turbo and decided to do the big dog Apex.
Its a Mcxpress rear mount kit. 12-17 lbs of boost capabale of running 310hp!

Just got the turbo in today and should start in the next day or two on the actual build. I will take pitures throughout the build so you guys can see what it takes to put one these monster's together. I cant wait! Here's the beginning!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you get the low comp pistons too?[/b]
Nope. No sense in doing pistons if your not doing the rods too and that is just a little too much dough for me right now so i will just run avgas or race gas until i can afford the rods and pistons. Thes things cost a lot of money and my bank account just told me my money tree quite growing so i will do what i can for this year and more to follow next. :beerchug:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coming along nicely. Got the cams off, head and valves and inserted head shim and installed the charge tube. Tomorrow, install head and retard timing, put cams on, install turbo, put plastics on and fire it up. Well i might be getting ahead of my self but wishful thinking.

·
Registered
513 Posts
NICE...Nothing better than tearing apart a practicly new sled. Is part of that kit going in the tunnel? Or are you upgrading the track also? I have a feeling ths sled will rock. :ylsuper:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YOu have to raise the rear end to get the exhaust off in order to put the turbo on. Its the rear mount as you can see in the pics below. Should be riding tomorrow. Will see if i can get it finished up when there is still daylight.
Oil return [ump installation

Turbo location

new exhaust and charge tube

Almost there

Needs gas and plastics and a few button ups and away we go.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I WANT VIDS FO SURE YOU HAVE TO GET SOME VIDS . that one bad unit cant wait to see it in action. An i got a question what would you say was harder installing the turbo or doing an engine swap on the 440iq??

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I WANT VIDS FO SURE YOU HAVE TO GET SOME VIDS . that one bad unit cant wait to see it in action. An i got a question what would you say was harder installing the turbo or doing an engine swap on the 440iq??[/b]

well seeing as how it took him about one day for the turbo and multiple weeks for the 800 conversion im going to say the turbo looked pretty easy

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I WANT VIDS FO SURE YOU HAVE TO GET SOME VIDS . that one bad unit cant wait to see it in action. An i got a question what would you say was harder installing the turbo or doing an engine swap on the 440iq??[/b]
I think the turbo was much more involved and had finer tunning that had to be done like retarding the timing, head shim, clearances in the valves, all the oil lines, cutting the frame a little, charge tubes and so on. The work that had to be done was much more precise with it. Also the wiring was easy but hard, there is soo much its rediculous. That thing has sensors for everything and a backup sensor for that sensor it seemed like. However, instructions were fairly good and everything was there to install the kit which made it a breeze. Now i got to clutch the thing, but i only bounced off the rev limiter a few times so i think i am close.

For the IQ chassis, there was no instructions, i had to wait on tanks, pipes, motor strapes, had to make my own oil caddy, notch the frame, basically cut and paste the wiring system together to get it to work because it didnt match up at all and a few other things. It just took a while to do it because really i dont know of anyone else in the state that had made one into trail form like i did so help was hard to come by at the time, evern on the forums. There was alot of waiting for parts and also i was in school and played college basketball so that took most off my time. So i would say the Apex was just as hard but i had a guy that had done 3 other turbos help so he knew alot and made it go easier, both had challenges but learned alot in both, its a toss up.

Pics of the final product minus the hood.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You need a clear lexan hood to show that thing off ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts