Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my seat off the F7 to do the caulk for the rear cooler, and noticed there are small stress cracks on the tunnel where it is creased and beds upward to the rear. It is right above the running board supports, under the the seat middle, and there is a a small cutout where they bend the tunnel in the press. These cracks where ~.5" long on each side of the tunnel. I'm thinking I am getting a new tunnel under warranty, because this thing won't last 3 yrs like that, and warranty is only good for a year. Arctic cat is losing some $$$ on my sled this year. :angry: I think it is BS. I ride moguls, but not that hard!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me, I know what a crack looks like! I may need to drill a hole to stop the propagation of them, but that may weaken the tunnel even more! :angry:

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
RedteamF7,
ALL of the 02 sno pros have this problem. The tunnel will only crack as far as the ribs then stop. I was told this by the race dept. They said it never caused any problems. Therefore I would say there is no way cat will cover it under warranty. I think this must happen when the sled is landed on its tail. The suspension bolt is actually ahead of the bend of the tunnel.
Cat S.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is not caised by landing on tail... It is caused by hard hits and landings, At the point where the tunnel bends up the rest of the wieght of cooler and light want to bend the tunnel back down straight,this causes cracks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I listed they same problem about 500Mi. ago under another topic I have also been checking the cracks and they have not got any bigger. This is definately a weak area that cat should look at. I wonder what the tunnel will look like after 2 or 3 seasons. "Ride em like you stole em"

·
Registered
3 Posts
i think cat should recall all F5s and F7s and give your money back and have a good look at the F6s before shipping them out to the dealers.

·
Registered
485 Posts
:angry: O.k., here's my scoop. My tunnel is indeed cracked on the right side exactly in the same area we are talking about. Am I happy about it ? NO, would you be on a brand new 10,000 dollar (cndn) machine? This isn't whining no matter what you think. What did I do about it? drilled a 1/32" hole at the end of the crack and put the cover up tape back over it. If you have any miles at all on your machine I'd be willing to bet if you removed the tape you would find the crack. I don't know if it's serious or not. I.M.H.O. I'm going to live with this since replacing the tunnel will likely weaken the chassis with poor riveting more than the tiny crack in this area. I like this sled and would indeed buy another. There only going to get better.... :wub:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dear Beth

You can buy my 03' Red Team Arctic F-7 right now if you want to give me my purchase price back and if you really feel like seeing if you can stop the sled from blowing up twice in under 500 miles , plus have the time to find all the little things wrong with this sled that i see in mine and others here in this website. Oh and don't forget you need to spend time trying to figure out how to keep the front end from pushing and the inside ski from lifting on about every corner you go through. I should have stuck with the ZR 800 or 900 , i think if you will buy it from me i will secure one of these far more reliable and far less risky sleds so that next year when i'm on my 7 day vacation in Quebec that i'm not renting a sled after the 1st day.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Cracked tunnels! That doesn't sound good. Checked mine, good to go.

You guys that have found cracks do you have any idea how they may of happened? I am not saying it's your fault but, do you ride hard, catch alot of air and ride alot off trail riding?

I like to ride my machine hard and have put this thing through some punishment and still together. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
13,947 Posts
If you want to get a firecat to stop pushing get your lazy ass of the back of the seat and actually ride it instead of pretending its a living room couch. I weigh 225 and have a sno pro with the limiter straps all the way out, rear springs on #2 coupler on #1, 6" of carbide, and 153 1.45" megabites (which is the supposed to make it imposible to steer) and it turns like its on rails if you ride it, if you just sit on it like an old man it will go straight unless you are on the brakes, it was built and marketed to be an agressive sled, and as such it must be ridden hard. I have 700 miles, and other than a blown belt and adding oil the sled has been flawless.

Krom

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've ridden some moguls at home here and a little on the hill, but nothing like 3 footers. My doo never had this problem , and I rode that harder in rougher stuff. I am not impressed with the craftmanship or reliability of this sled. I am on my 4th, I say Again 4TH pipe and different styock silencer. The sled is no doubt fast and fun, but the bs problems are getting old. the cracked tunnel may be the straw that breaks the camel's back! :angry:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm reading this post and people are asking if you have ridden it hard. Isn't the "F" series a copy of the sno cross sled that takes more abuse than any of us could dish out? The people that have crack's in the tunnel, what did you ride before and was it the same type of riding. Regardless of what you rode before, I bet it was the same type of riding and you didn't crack the tunnel.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Originally posted by ptt@Feb 6 2003, 03:23 PM
I'm reading this post and people are asking if you have ridden it hard. Isn't the "F" series a copy of the sno cross sled that takes more abuse than any of us could dish out? The people that have crack's in the tunnel, what did you ride before and was it the same type of riding. Regardless of what you rode before, I bet it was the same type of riding and you didn't crack the tunnel.
PTT,

You have a good point! But if you are landing on the tail this could be a problem. I have friends that have done this and have creased the tunnel. Also landing to hard on the front can crack the tunnel by the front heat exchanger. The ZRT's did this alot.

The sno cross guys reinforce the tunnels. Big air and hard landings can cause damage.

Ride them like you own them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts