Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has been a topic in here before but i can't seem to find the answer to my question again.

My question is how are you guys fixing the problem of snow melting under the seat and running down the tunnel?

Thanks for the help!

;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
you couldn't find an answer because no one has come up with a complete fix.
It's a tough one, but luckily tunnel ice will never leave you stranded ^_^ :p

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some guys were talking sealing the tunnel with caulk.

I really couldn't follow what they were trying to say.

thanks

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks f5sweden that is exactly what i was looking for.

tom f7

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I don't think the above posted link fixes this problem, does it Rob??? Seems to me like it's probably coming from snow that's melting on TOP of the exposed rear heat exchanger between the seat and the tail light, which then flows under the seat and down the sides of the tunnel and the running boards??? That's my guess so far anyway! -- Roy

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
I think I may have found the answer. I am going to try it this weekend and will post pics if it does work

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rob, Ed found the answer it works great. still silicon in the same area as you did then take that thick silver duck tape and go over that. tested it out yesterday in Vermont. No more ice!!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
GF7PE, please keep us posted. Our nice wide running boards don't do us much good if they're all iced up. Thanks! -- Roy

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've got 760 miles on and haven't noticed a problem. Are you guys riding alot of powder? Or maybe because I've been riding southern NH so more slower trails, rare to reach 75.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's my take. I had a very good seal around the exchanger but the rivits were not seal. So I used black RTV to seal the rivits and the big gap in the front. No need to remove the factory seal. Then you need to seal up the back of the seat. I run a strip of 1"x1/2" weather strip under the rear of the seat. Note the tunnel shape is not the same as the seat bottom and there are some very large gaps where snow can collect, melt, drain and ice up. I have done this and not tested it, but I am sure it will reduce some of the problem. Hope the sled does not need that snow to cool the big 700.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by NHF7@Feb 8 2003, 08:32 AM
Rob, Ed found the answer it works great. still silicon in the same area as you did then take that thick silver duck tape and go over that. tested it out yesterday in Vermont. No more ice!!
thanks i'll try the tape :)
as an update, I still get some ice, but nowhere near as much as I did before doing the fix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts