Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen 4 firecats with the tunnel cracked, including my own, and I would like to know if there is a updated tunnel to put on. I don't want to waste my time putting another one of these pieces of junk on. I would appreciate if anyone knows anything about , if you could let me know. I have heard that the Irondog racers allready had the new and updated tunnels for there sleds. :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
485 Posts
:wacko: Mines cracked too, I'm afraid to let the dealer replace ( don't know if it's warranty ), I believe the workmanship in the riveting at the dealer wouldn't be the same as factory. If it isn't warranty then my dealer knows about and it would affect my trade in. Damned if you do, damned if you dont. I drilled a tiny hole at the end of the crack and put that lame tape back over it .Ignorance is bliss, at 3600 miles now and it'll be traded at the end of the season. I like enough things about the firecat that i'll order another, but only if they can convince me that it will be as reliable as the sunrise... :eek:

·
Registered
174 Posts
How much and how hard would it be to take the sled in and have the crack welded?

Simple solution. Am I the only one thinking around here?

No, you shouldn't have to do it, but it beats whining about it, replacing the tunnel and getting no where.

·
Registered
485 Posts
:angry: Should I weld it and send the bill to who? This would look very impressive at trade in time ( a patched over welded tunnel ) I'll let the mother split in half then let cat deal with it . In an earlier Posting someone and i can't remember who said that the engineers knew that this was an issue and that the crack would not spread beyond a certain point. I'm sorry but that just doesn't cut it with me. One can tolerate a certain amount of poor fit and finish or cosmetic flaws but this is structural ! Call this whining if you want, I call this unacceptable.

·
Registered
485 Posts
:eek: Hey Spence, may you and everyone else hear this loud and clear, I LOVE MY FIRECAT. Too many issuses to make this years model a keeper though imho. Even with a second year?? warranty i've ran up enough miles to kiss 'old paint' goodbye.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I keep forgetting that everything else in the world is made perfect and only the Firecat has problems.

Please......

Back under my rock.

P.S. The guy buying your sled will be aware of the cracks in the tunnel. At least you won't look like a idiot if you fix it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
:eek: Whoa there guys!! Have any of you removed the tape at the tunnel bend? I'm willing to bet that at least 1/3 of the tunnels out there have a crack. YOU WON'T SEE IT UNTIL YOU TAKE THE TAPE OFF. I replaced the tape because it was peeling off and then discovered the crack. Oh by the way Jamie my last two trade- ins were stripped and sold as parts; too many miles . Still got good trade in money but have to pay full retail so I suppose it's just a wash.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by got snow@Feb 23 2003, 01:00 PM
:angry: Should I weld it and send the bill to who? This would look very impressive at trade in time ( a patched over welded tunnel ) I'll let the mother split in half then let cat deal with it . In an earlier Posting someone and i can't remember who said that the engineers knew that this was an issue and that the crack would not spread beyond a certain point. I'm sorry but that just doesn't cut it with me. One can tolerate a certain amount of poor fit and finish or cosmetic flaws but this is structural ! Call this whining if you want, I call this unacceptable.
I can't see why customer service wouldn't address paying the bill considering the welding bill would be less than a new tunnel. I would think that somebody who has thier sled fixed to the best of thier ability would also show that the same thoughts are put forth on the rest of the maintainance done to it.

I would walk away from somebody who knew it was cracked and did nothing about it.

JMHO.

·
Registered
485 Posts
:eek: In all honesty the crack hasn't gotten any larger in the last 2000??? (not really sure ) miles since I first noticed it, so I've let it slide. Don't get me wrong here, it still bothers me but it is not getting any worse. I don't really wish to make much more of issue out of it but only to bring attention to an issue. I respect your opinion and I hope you can see my point of view that a visibly welded tunnel would send a potential buyer of my used sled packing to greener pastures. If Cat could improve this on the 2004 model (by perhaps not creasing the aluminum so sharpley and I'm only speculating this as the cause ( I'm not an engineer, thank God )so much the better. And in my defense if you read my previous statements you will find I did deal with the issue by drilling the end of the crack. Not as good as welding , for sure but call it damage control if you will.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you have ever welded over a crack you will usually find the crack will reappear right through the weld or right beside it . The only fix is to lay a second overlapping patch over top as others have done with the sno pros.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
i had my whole chassis replaced and i took a look at the old one and there is no cracks even after hard trail riding. under the tape there is a a relief notch cut into the chassis, i hope thats not what you think is a crack . if there is a small opening its supposed to be there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
can someone say NEUROTIC please. Get over it, your sled is all cracked up. I'll give ya 100 bucks for it. But I want your arctic cat coupon with the sled :D :D :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
:eek: wicked king , look under the sled at the rear of the sled there are two relief cuts on the sides of the tunnel take a flash light (never mind that reflection of that f8 your stairing at) and look at those cuts close sometines you can see the cracks running from there (thanks for the info)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts