Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I my 2004 F6 EFI all last season with an ODS kit.

I've had the secondary spring in the middle hole. I do agressive trail riding, and

somehow always find myslef racing people. I've got 136 studs and someother stuff.

What happens if I put the spring in the 2nd hole? Shifts out faster for racing, but what are the down sides? fuel milage, traction, not good for trails, throtle respone?

What if I tighten it up in the 4th hole? more traction, shifts out slower, fuel milage?

If someone could help me out on what are the effects of this, It would be apreciated.

JDN

·
Registered
451 Posts
your right.. if u tighten the spring you will gain throttle response and backshift however it wont shift as fast so for dragracing i would recommened u to loosen the spring.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
secondary spring tension affects peak rpm and gives you slight adjustment for this. tighten spring more RPM loosen less RPM..about 100 RPM a hole. I would shoot for 7700 -7800 peak rpm and creeping up to 7900-8000 on a long haul out on the lake.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh i think im gonna trail ride with it in the 2nd posistion. If I dont like it I can always move it back.

What about fuel millage?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I will speak in terms of looser or tighter, because I do not know if the left most hole is 1 or 5. The left most hole is the loosest.
I have experiemented greatly with various springs with 'wrap'. Its hard to say what the ODS spring will do...every spring is different. Keep in mind that some springs just can't be run too tight. For instance, I found the AC green can never be run tigher than middle hole; even if RPMs are correct, the sled just does not perform.
The looser the wrap, the LATER the shift. I always try to run a particular spring as loose as possible, and still have decent backshift. I will sacrafice a little backshift for 'straightline' performance. When you get great traction, wrap as loose as possible. As your traction gets worse, you need to wrap tighter so that if you shift during spinning, your motor can recover. Just like a car, the sooner you can shift your snowmobile into higher gear, the faster it will go. Of course, the motor has to be in the proper RPM range.
Tightenening will help backshift and snappiness in the trail; in theory it will cause worse gas milage as well, but I don't know if you would actually see a differnce.
The best advice is to play around with your spring. For trail, just see what feels best. For drag racing, line up with someone and run each time after a change.

·
Registered
200 Posts
sorry to sound dumb...but i am new to clutching can someone explain or show a picture of thes holes that you run the spring in....do you have to disasemble the whole clutch to make these changes

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Always ran my 440 in the second. Got about 12mpg. One day ran it in the 3rd just to see. 9mpg !!!!!!! And alot less acc. !!!

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
in the easier holes, it will shift quicker so lower rpm.. and get better fuel mileage, but will be sluggish and have a possibility of belt slip/suck.. this is all dependent on rider weight, sled rolling resistance, and gearing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts