Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did 90 miles today in the area from Barnes Corners to Highmarket. Snow base is greater towards the southern part of the hill. Originally dropped at the Little John Lot but just as I was ready three guys came through and told me the Mad River Club gate was closed. So I packed up and dropped farther north. What we need now more than snow is COLD There are lots of water holes. Flat Rock Road was by far the worst.

Passed a Pisten Bully on Number Nine Road...it was heading south when I was going north so I got to briefly ride some freshly groomed snow. Barnes Corners Sno Pals needs to get out and groom...unfortunately at the groomer barn there is maybe 4 inches...yet Forks, Cullpepper, Horace Forward are all ready to be groomed. Mile Strip is a bit thin. Like I said snow is deeper (as of now) as you go south. These lake effect snow bands are very narrow. There was no snow in Adams at 7pm tonight, yet Pulaski and Central Square have some snow.
This photo is at parking lot at the intersection of Cullpepper and Salmon River Road

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how did i know you would be riding saber? when you headed back up?[/b]
Hey WFO how are you?

Working in Camden in the morning on Thursday so the sled's coming along...probably ride Friday too...

Here's the other Talbots Corners shot

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's Forks at McDonald...sorry about the freakin camera strap

Someone just PMed me about where to drop...I'll say this until the Mad River Gates are open on Salmon River Road you are looking at a lot of road riding if you drop at Winona, Little John, Blount Mills area... with this warm weather the plowed asphalt roads are bare. Gravel base roads (i.e. plowed part of Salmon River) are not a problem

·
Registered
70 Posts
What exit is that off of 81. If the lower areas like Central square, Pulaski get what channel 9 is syaing about 16" where would you unload. Have you road the lower areas before? or If Cato gets it, I might ride up there.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice! so up by flat rock was crappy...what about near c'ville,up the hill to crowfoot hill rd[/b]

I didn't get to C'ville...but it was nice down towards Highmarket and I heard Redfield was geting a lot of snow...but again you are going to see a lot of water if you are not on a high quality seasonal road. Hell I bet Camp 2 Road is nothing but water holes....in reality it should be named "Camp 2 Creek" anyway. Flat Rock road, if you have ever traveled it in the summer, is not a high quality road when compared to say Horace Forward truck trail or Number Nine Road. There are sections of Flat Rock Road that were like swamps this afternoon....wettest I have ever seen it

WE NEED COLD TEMPS BADLY

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What exit is that off of 81. If the lower areas like Central square, Pulaski get what channel 9 is syaing about 16" where would you unload. Have you road the lower areas before? or If Cato gets it, I might ride up there.[/b]
I'd stay clear of the lower areas....best riding is going to be seasonal roads..."trails" are going to be one waterhole after another...the ground in the woods is very very far from frozen, and the more snow we get without cold temps the warmer the ground will stay...the snow works as an insulator keeping the gropund warm. we need temps in the 0-10 range not in the 24-32 range

·
Registered
137 Posts
well we;'ve waited long enough.Going up wed.Have off for 1 week hope to ride for a while have fun..see ya
looking to unload in c ville as we have a camp in redfield being the reports from redfield were not that good.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
great posts and pics. see any action at grist mill? i'm thinking about dropping there thursday.[/b]
Driving up there was NO SNOW at the Gristmill. On the way home I stopped in Parish for a slice at the Mobil Station...there was maybe 2-3 inches of wet slop. But the way these bands are shifting, for all I know Parish could have 2 feet by the end of tomorrow.

It was strange to drive through Adams tonight and see no snow at all

·
Registered
39 Posts
Grooming is beginning as I type. Grooming Rector Road to Montague. Then heading up Flat Rock towards Graves/Houseville Gulf intersection and then circling back. Hopefully these "swamps" on Flat Rock will not create any problems with equipment. Wed. night looks to be cool, may help freeze up trails and begin base building. Will keep you posted. www.valleysnowtravelers.org

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Grooming is beginning as I type. Grooming Rector Road to Montague. Then heading up Flat Rock towards Graves/Houseville Gulf intersection and then circling back. Hopefully these "swamps" on Flat Rock will not create any problems with equipment. Wed. night looks to be cool, may help freeze up trails and begin base building. Will keep you posted. www.valleysnowtravelers.org [/b]
RevRider thanks for taking care of the trails and for the post......I'd love to be at the groomer barn when the guy grooming Flat Rock Comes in. What is the temp up there right now?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have 20 degrees in Lowville. Will be colder on the hill. How big/deep are the wet holes on Flat Rock? At what time was this?[/b]
My guess is I rode Flat Rock around 4:30 and again around 5:45 I'd say. There are wet areas as long as 20-30+yards, depth hard to tell maybe as deep as 8-12 inches. Does that help you out? And of course the wet areas are really sloppy...water mixed in with big chunks of snow....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts