Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Indy Adventure 850 137"
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with the Florence/Camden area? I have a question. Im interested in purchasing a small cabin but it's not on the snowmobile trail. I was hoping that maybe I could get to it through the Mad River Forest state park. The cabin is basically dead center in this pic, where it reads Florence Hill rd. Can someone tell me how I can possibly get to the trail from the property without trailering?
Thanks
Ecoregion Map World Line Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,729 Posts
No legal way obviously. But I'm sure there will be others with sleds around you. Talk it over with your new neighbors and figure it out. I'm sure "johnny" has a path through the woods somewhere. That's how it's done usually.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm thinking you're way too far from the trails to make that work.
I'll PM you with a person in TC Riders to call.
If no "renegade trails", then maybe you can park it at a club members property.
Not for nothing, but if you're buying the camp for solitude and hunting, cool. But me personally, I wouldn't be buying it JUST for sledding. I'd thought about it in the past, but now with the short winters, I'd rather trailer from Syracuse to chase the snow.

Reactions: Trail Ryder

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking you're way too far from the trails to make that work.
I'll PM you with a person in TC Riders to call.
If no "renegade trails", then maybe you can park it at a club members property.
Not for nothing, but if you're buying the camp for solitude and hunting, cool. But me personally, I wouldn't be buying it JUST for sledding. I'd thought about it in the past, but now with the short winters, I'd rather trailer from Syracuse to chase the snow.
Yeah, I'm definitely weighing all the pros and cons. The wife and I would enjoy it in the summer as well, fishing and relaxing. But for me it's really about snowmobiling.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely weighing all the pros and cons. The wife and I would enjoy it in the summer as well, fishing and relaxing. But for me it's really about snowmobiling.
Maybe pass on this one and grab one on or very close to the trail. They always pop up and with the recession we're in, many more play properties and vacation homes will be listed for sale. Patience will get you what you want.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe pass on this one and grab one on or very close to the trail. They always pop up and with the recession we're in, many more play properties and vacation homes will be listed for sale. Patience will get you what you want.
True. There's also a few issues regarding winter access and not having a plow, as it is on a seasonal road. There's actually about 20 reasons to not do it. Aside from those it's perfect! Lol

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
There are bunches of places for sale that have decent access in those or surrounding areas. Keep your eye open. Have any idea what your price range is ? We are thinking of selling ours and maybe buying something in Florida. No covid inflation up charging. But it’s not a cheap place. Off grid but built just like a house 2 story with loft. Shower , toilet etc real septic system , on demand hot water , drilled well , storage shed , generator house , wood shed , 5 acres with state land access, lawn , 2 beds up in loft , seperate bedroom downstairs , full kitchen. Wood heat and propane heat in some areas. , all wired just like a house full lights etc , inside is 99 percent knotty pine. Wrap around porch. Screen in. It’s pretty damn nice. Upper story build on 4 ft knee wall so lots of headroom. , inside of camp is approx 24 wide by 33-35 long. Loft is about 12x24 . Open area looking out into camp is about 12x24 with approx 3o ft. Peak.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are bunches of places for sale that have decent access in those or surrounding areas. Keep your eye open. Have any idea what your price range is ? We are thinking of selling ours and maybe buying something in Florida. No covid inflation up charging. But it’s not a cheap place. Off grid but built just like a house 2 story with loft. Shower , toilet etc real septic system , on demand hot water , drilled well , storage shed , generator house , wood shed , 5 acres with state land access, lawn , 2 beds up in loft , seperate bedroom downstairs , full kitchen. Wood heat and propane heat in some areas. , all wired just like a house full lights etc , inside is 99 percent knotty pine. Wrap around porch. Screen in. It’s pretty damn nice. Upper story build on 4 ft knee wall so lots of headroom. , inside of camp is approx 24 wide by 33-35 long. Loft is about 12x24 . Open area looking out into camp is about 12x24 with approx 3o ft. Peak.
Sounds like you have an awesome place! I'm thinking way more basic though. Under 50k.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
i always wondered if living near trail would lead to sleds in the yard from following tracks.
We were on a curve the, sleds that came onto the yard, ditch, stone wall were all to rider error. We did have several people through the years stop in and ask directions... One guy asked if it was the bar he was looking for and thought I was lying to him.

·
Registered
319 Posts
We were on a curve the, sleds that came onto the yard, ditch, stone wall were all to rider error. We did have several people through the years stop in and ask directions... One guy asked if it was the bar he was looking for and thought I was lying to him.
Maybe the bourbon in your hand confused the less than 60-watt individual.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i always wondered if living near trail would lead to sleds in the yard from following tracks.
Yes. Our camp is off grid 1.5 miles in an unplowed rd. 2 miles of private feeder trail to get to C7a and people follow our tracks all the time. Last year I put a sign up where our feeder goes in telling people it’s a dead end private feeder. A couple got hellified stuck 2 years ago on the feeder which was 3 ish feet deep ungroomed. Gotta know how and where to hit or you’re buried!

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
I used to leave right out my back yard. But I have to admit after awhile it looked like a real trail that went to a road that leads to developments etc. so yes I always had people in my yard looking confused. Lol. So I started going down road 100 ft and dipping into same Field so no more trail into my back yard. I’m sure a sign that said not a trail would work also for me. But I know others use my path to gain acres also so I like to keep it condensed to a small area in the interest of it not being blocked off. Which legally they probably couldnt do anyway as town owns a strip through it for access and power lines etc. land owner doesn’t mind anyway so it’s moot

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used to leave right out my back yard. But I have to admit after awhile it looked like a real trail that went to a road that leads to developments etc. so yes I always had people in my yard looking confused. Lol. So I started going down road 100 ft and dipping into same Field so no more trail into my back yard. I’m sure a sign that said not a trail would work also for me. But I know others use my path to gain acres also so I like to keep it condensed to a small area in the interest of it not being blocked off. Which legally they probably couldnt do anyway as town owns a strip through it for access and power lines etc. land owner doesn’t mind anyway so it’s moot
Yup. I put up the sign mostly so less saavy riders didnt get stuck and wreck our trail. No need for anyone to use it unless they have a camp in our club.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Just curious, what Tug Hill municipalities have trail access, public water, and high speed internet?
When I was up there unless you were in Boonville, Turin or C'ville you had a well... Being up on the hill above C'ville even off grid I had decent internet service even back then.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Only Turin Village has city water. Lyons Falls has water and sewer.
C'ville has water in the village... The spring houses that supplied the water were across and down the road (Smith Road) from our camp. The guy that supervised the building of the sand filtration system that the state mandated also did my water supply for our camp. They had to have restrictors on the lines running down to town to cut down the pressure of the gravity feed from up on the hill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
C'ville has water in the village... The spring houses that supplied the water were across and down the road (Smith Road) from our camp. The guy that supervised the building of the sand filtration system that the state mandated also did my water supply for our camp. They had to have restrictors on the lines running down to town to cut down the pressure of the gravity feed from up on the hill.
My bad, I know C'ville has water, just added to the point of where. Not all of Turin has H2O at the street.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts