Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an 02 edge with a toasted motor that I don't think is worth repairing. I have an opportunity to get a 650 triple for a great price. I know this motor won't be the same as the 700 VES that was in the sled but I may be fun project and who doesn't like the sound of a triple triple!

I know there are lots of XCR 800 conversions out there but since this is an older motor I'm assuming the conversion will have different challenges. Has anyone ever done a conversion with an older triple? One of my concerns is that maybe the wiring harness won't be compatible? I know I will have the standard items to change like mounts, pipes, airbox/pod filters but is there anything else I should expect?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Apples and oranges man, nothing at all in common; I love the old triples, but I'd steer clear, as it will be a ton of work and then what do you have that would have any value to jon q public.

At a minimum, presuming straightforward mechanical mocking-up/fitment, which it won't be, you've got to swap the full wiring harness, gauges, switches and make the necessary splices. Air box, exhaust, it is endless.

Take the $$$ from a part out and put towards an IQ would be my advice, or another EDGE; best of luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, its good to see how someone else did it. I figured it would be a ton of work and in the end add no value to the sled.

I've be doing some research and talking to the guy that has the motor and there is a risk that the motor isn't even running (at least he has never had it running, previous owner said it ran) so that would add another element to the build that would really make it not worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts