Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to mention that our trip was great. Left sherbrook tuesday AM, rode to Montmagny mainly via trail 35. Trails were super, 200 miles. Wednesday we did a loop through Pohenegamook, Cabano, and Riviere-du-Loup, 363 miles of excellent riding. Today returned to sherbrook via 540 thru Thetford Mines, 230 miles. Three days, almost 800 miles and 90% of it was super riding.

F7 ran great.. Have 6575 on now. Chaincase leak held in check with the 80w. Lost about 4 ounces during the trip.

Top end problem is still there, but very weird. Unnoticable under 6700rpm. Crusing 6800rpm and over, I get a "surging" sensation, that I believe is the valves opening and closing. And just to throw you a curve.. ONE time on tuesday I punched it at 70mph and it was like old times.. revved 7950, climbed through 105 and was still climbing. I couldn't believe it! But every other time I punched it it would only rev ~7500 and struggled to get over 90. Sounds crazy but it is the truth. I'm thinking now maybe a bad servo motor???

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hi Rob, missed you at the Snodeo, was there on fri. 10- 12 , oh well our paths will cross. Zekester

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Rob
Glad your trip went good . I'm going to be riding in pittsburg nh next week , hope the trails are still good.I was there two weeks ago and took trail 20 west to beecher falls and cannan and couldn't believe how many deer I saw. Must have seen thirty just on trail 20 , It was unbelievable.when I was there earlier the trails were great, and thew trail going to oquasic was mint, saw some moose on that one. Jim

·
Registered
362 Posts
i'd venture to guess that one or both of your power valves is starting to gum up or one of your cables has fallen off the servo.
just a guess.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hey Rob, I guess we are riding in the same neck of the woods this week. I went up to Matane and am riding on the 5 and 591, there is almost too much snow, I wish they would run the surfacer more often. Roads are hard to cross since they don't plow here, the snow blow, that means you are sometimes left with a six or seven foot vertical wall. Beautifull trails.

Norm

S

·
0 Posts
Myself I would put it on the stand and see what it does, run it up to rated RPM and see when and if the valves are opening. and also see how the clutching is opening and closing as well. rob I had the same problem with last years ZR500, it was the drive spring cracked. could not see it till I took the clutch apart. I hope this helps. Man you ass must be made of leather with all those miles.
I'm racing the F5 this weekend, 86mph on the 660' and still have not jetted or put the race clutch in yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by zekester@Mar 6 2003, 06:50 PM
Hi Rob, missed you at the Snodeo, was there on fri. 10- 12 , oh well our paths will cross. Zekester
You talking about the Snodeo that is held on Mooshead lake? Specificly Greenville,ME.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Snowblind@Mar 6 2003, 11:00 PM
Myself I would put it on the stand and see what it does, run it up to rated RPM and see when and if the valves are opening. and also see how the clutching is opening and closing as well. rob I had the same problem with last years ZR500, it was the drive spring cracked. could not see it till I took the clutch apart. I hope this helps. Man you ass must be made of leather with all those miles.
I'm racing the F5 this weekend, 86mph on the 660' and still have not jetted or put the race clutch in yet.
On a stand it seems to work correctly.. The clutch springs are new. I'm stumped, even more so after that one good run. It was not just a little better, it was like night and day in the difference in the power. I hop my dealer can find something next week when I bring it in. I suspect a intermitent servo motor, wiring, or ecu.

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,200 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Mar 6 2003, 06:28 PM
Just wanted to mention that our trip was great. Left sherbrook tuesday AM, rode to Montmagny mainly via trail 35. Trails were super, 200 miles. Wednesday we did a loop through Pohenegamook, Cabano, and Riviere-du-Loup, 363 miles of excellent riding. Today returned to sherbrook via 540 thru Thetford Mines, 230 miles. Three days, almost 800 miles and 90% of it was super riding.

F7 ran great.. Have 6575 on now. Chaincase leak held in check with the 80w. Lost about 4 ounces during the trip.

Top end problem is still there, but very weird. Unnoticable under 6700rpm. Crusing 6800rpm and over, I get a "surging" sensation, that I believe is the valves opening and closing. And just to throw you a curve.. ONE time on tuesday I punched it at 70mph and it was like old times.. revved 7950, climbed through 105 and was still climbing. I couldn't believe it! But every other time I punched it it would only rev ~7500 and struggled to get over 90. Sounds crazy but it is the truth. I'm thinking now maybe a bad servo motor???
Rob what were the temps? Cat EFI sleds tend to run the fastest in +25* and actually some my best top end speeds have been in +35* temps, they really tend to slow down at about +10* and lower, this probably has to do with the mapping curve based on the temps and barometric pressure, IMHO.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Rob,
I know your problem. Or at least think I do. Anyway, take a look at the magnet that connects to the drive shaft below the secondary on the frame. Or at least have your dealer look at it. Since we no longer have mechanical speedo's, their is a little housing that serves as our digital speedo. Mine came loose inside, and it was screwing a bunch of shit up. Most noticeably was the lack of top end as you mention. Mine didn't run for long after I began to notice, not like yours. Allthough, mine may have completely broke away and yours could still be sending a signal, maybe not a strong enough one. It would also explain you feeling like your valves are sticking. My dealer told me this could happen because of the signal being sent to whatever(I'm not sure, I can't remember, but either coil or voltage regulator or something) is screwing up the signal to your valves as well.
Anyway thought it might help. I wonder did you notice your tach and speedo off ever? Mine shut completely down and went into a limp mode I believe. And it probably doens't have any bearing, but my sled is the same as yours.
Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts