Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
It’s too bad that somebody doesn’t invent some kind of device that fits in your pocket, provides location data and maybe even allows you to talk to people over the telephone system. If only something like that existed.
What a concept - maybe it could even send short messages to other devices while you're going down the trail at 90

·
Registered
254 Posts
i have had my trails disappear after doing an update and didnt realize until i was 20mins down the trail and toggled to the gps. But i also updated my friend sled at the same time and his was fine. What i found was i pulled the usb out before turning the sled off. And that somehow caused the issue. When we got home i did the update again and this time made sure to turn the ignition off before pulling the usb stick out. And everything was fine after that.

I wouldnt update the maps more than once or twice a year. You will notice that even though they list them daily, the update date never changes. I think April 2021 is when mine shows, and i downloaded the updated last week. I wish they would only list the trail update when there was ACTUALLY an update.
true that the main map doesn't change, but the date on the update changes
Gadget Communication Device Font Audio equipment Display device

·
Registered
232 Posts
Often, when loading an update on other types of equipment, if it hangs, the update could not be read correctly. How long are you waiting for the map data to load?
When I picked up my sled, I downloaded the complete map file just in case I would need it later. Have you taken a look at the file after you've copied it to your usb drive? It should have the same name and approx size as below. This file is older, so it'll be a little smaller and don't pay attention to the location on my pc. Things I'd check in your case:
  • is your usb drive large enough, formatted correctly, and not defective? it should be at least 64GB for that size file. I've had many bad usb drives over the years, some brands I'll never buy again. try a different usb drive
  • is the file at the root directory of your usb drive, and the only file on the usb drive?
  • are you inserting and removing the usb drive when the 7s is powered off?
View attachment 2127466
Would downloading the file to my 500gb portable hard drive and plugging that into the 7s work? I'm just tech savvy enough to be dangerous.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It’s too bad that somebody doesn’t invent some kind of device that fits in your pocket, provides location data and maybe even allows you to talk to people over the telephone system. If only something like that existed.
But then you might as well pull out a paper trail map that will also fit in your pocket. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Would downloading the file to my 500gb portable hard drive and plugging that into the 7s work? I'm just tech savvy enough to be dangerous.
Maybe - but I wouldn't go there. Some usb backup drives require more power than a stick, not sure if the 7s can deliver it and I'd hate to find out the hard way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Often, when loading an update on other types of equipment, if it hangs, the update could not be read correctly. How long are you waiting for the map data to load?
When I picked up my sled, I downloaded the complete map file just in case I would need it later. Have you taken a look at the file after you've copied it to your usb drive? It should have the same name and approx size as below. This file is older, so it'll be a little smaller and don't pay attention to the location on my pc. Things I'd check in your case:
  • is your usb drive large enough, formatted correctly, and not defective? it should be at least 64GB for that size file. I've had many bad usb drives over the years, some brands I'll never buy again. try a different usb drive
  • is the file at the root directory of your usb drive, and the only file on the usb drive?
View attachment 2127466
I'm fairly tech savy. That being said, you've had success updating the BASE maps also? I'm assuming so since your file size is 34 GB.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm fairly tech savy. That being said, you've had success updating the BASE maps also? I'm assuming so since your file size is 34 GB.
No on updating the base map. I'm a bit of a collector - if software is available for my devices, I download and save it incase I need it later. 4 hours to download on my isp service in the sticks - if I run into issues, I want it now. When I got the sled, I downloaded everything that was available...

Have you verified the file on your usb device is not corrupted? compare two files by using Windiff.exe

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No on updating the base map. I'm a bit of a collector - if software is available for my devices, I download and save it incase I need it later. 4 hours to download on my isp service in the sticks - if I run into issues, I want it now. When I got the sled, I downloaded everything that was available...
Don't update base maps. End of story. Probably the end of my 7S GPS functionality.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
View attachment 2127466
Those are all good things to check… minimum 64gb, exfat formatted, etc. Like the idea that sled key is off prior to installing or removing the flash drive.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,572 Posts
Don't update base maps. End of story. Probably the end of my 7S GPS functionality.
The huge (33.7GB) 7SDD BASE map changed in the last month. I don't know if anyone has successfully installed the newer version. Because of that, I do not recommend it at this time.

on the "Map & Software Updates" screen on the RideCommand website, near the upper right corner, it says "Map Update" I SURE WISH that said "Trails Update".
The date below is the date of the most recent trail information. Since trail masters around North America contribute trails updates every day, the Trails download is refreshed EVERY DAY. It's size is around 275 MB at this time.

They still have only the MY21 Software Update available, so that is really not helpful to anyone.
If you have a MY22 display, using this Software update would put you back a year in gauge features and functions.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,572 Posts
true that the main map doesn't change, but the date on the update changes
View attachment 2127470
Let's state that clearly.

The date on the 275MB TRAILS update changes. A fresh one is available every day from the Ride Command website.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The huge (33.7GB) 7SDD BASE map changed in the last month. I don't know if anyone has successfully installed the newer version. Because of that, I do not recommend it at this time.

on the "Map & Software Updates" screen on the RideCommand website, near the upper right corner, it says "Map Update" I SURE WISH that said "Trails Update".
The date below is the date of the most recent trail information. Since trail masters around North America contribute trails updates every day, the Trails download is refreshed EVERY DAY. It's size is around 275 MB at this time.

They still have only the MY21 Software Update available, so that is really not helpful to anyone.
If you have a MY22 display, using this Software update would put you back a year in gauge features and functions.
So.....I'm screwed? Any suggestions? TIA

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
So.....I'm screwed? Any suggestions? TIA
Take it to the dealer like I did. They are covering it under warranty no questions ask. You are basically without 7s for this season, but at least you have a usable sled.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
After 45 minutes of refreshing the screen.....I'm back in business! I apologize for all the ill will directed towards Polaris last night. Thank you guys for all the help. If it's not broke, don't fix it. And never ever check that basemap box!
Line Font Display device Electronic device Technology

·
Registered
254 Posts
After 45 minutes of refreshing the screen.....I'm back in business! I apologize for all the ill will directed towards Polaris last night. Thank you guys for all the help. If it's not broke, don't fix it. And never ever check that basemap box!
Send a screen shot of the date of the SNO North America map date - if its been updated, I'll do the update on my 7s. If its the same base map with trail updates, its not worth my time.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts