Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 arctic cat m8000 sno pro 153
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m going to be taking my 2017 arctic cat m8000 sno pro 153” to MN I’m wondering if anyone else has had any issues with it I’ll have roughly 4’ 98” hanging off my tailgate I called MN highway patrol they deal with dot laws which state from end of vehicle to no more then 3ft off hang and no exceptions. But when called in they stated that if tailgate is down it’s 3ft past that I did also say that I’m roughly 1ft and some change passed that and they said as long as I have a red flag or bright color flag I should be good but I drive dot trucks for a living and am second guessing it in my personal truck any help would be great as I don’t have access to a trailer and no room to store one

·
Registered
2003 Edge X 700
139 Posts
You can rent snowmobile trailers... Google it.
Otherwise an open U-haul trailer would work.
But as Lid2 said, you've already spent too much time on this.

Reactions: Mightymouse0705

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
maybe modify a sheet of ply wood, to extend over tailgate to meet the measurements required? then add flag and go!

this way you can say you made the effort LOL

I doubt any cop is carrying a tape measure here any way
the way it tends to work is WHY would they be stopping you in the first place, if doing something that ruffles there feathers then well, they look harder for things to add to the stop!

NOW if you wanted to get even more creative here
I would imagine you can get a set of magnetic brake lights that plug into your trucks trailer plug and add them to the back of the sled , this way you would have lights on it , doubt any cop would question things marked that way at all

something like this should be pretty fast easy to add, zip tie to rear bumper to hold em in place and cut off and re do when going home?
or the likes
like 20 bucks so not very costly and sure beats a red flag

·
Registered
2017 arctic cat m8000 sno pro 153
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe modify a sheet of ply wood, to extend over tailgate to meet the measurements required? then add flag and go!

this way you can say you made the effort LOL

I doubt any cop is carrying a tape measure here any way
the way it tends to work is WHY would they be stopping you in the first place, if doing something that ruffles there feathers then well, they look harder for things to add to the stop!

NOW if you wanted to get even more creative here
I would imagine you can get a set of magnetic brake lights that plug into your trucks trailer plug and add them to the back of the sled , this way you would have lights on it , doubt any cop would question things marked that way at all

something like this should be pretty fast easy to add, zip tie to rear bumper to hold em in place and cut off and re do when going home?
or the likes
like 20 bucks so not very costly and sure beats a red flag

its all strapped down and I sadly don’t have those but will definitely pick those up next time and I’m loaded up and only sit 3’ 42” I shouldn’t even get bothered at all being 42” off you can’t tell that by just looking at it either and I doubt they have a tape measure aswell

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
its all strapped down and I sadly don’t have those but will definitely pick those up next time and I’m loaded up and only sit 3’ 42” I shouldn’t even get bothered at all being 42” off you can’t tell that by just looking at it either and I doubt they have a tape measure aswell
well like I said, I doubt they would brother you and just gave that info as a idea to think about if one wanted too!

another simple idea here too, I think would be to add some reflective tape to the rear bumper

or a safety triangle like one of these, could again be added fast and taken off fast too!
I run them on all sorts of farm and construction equipment, really seems to help keep the idiots back from tailgating me!
cheap and in many states I know it helps make things legal too, so adds that to things as well

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
400 Posts
That is a slow moving vehicle placard. I assume you are not a SMV. You could get a ticket for using that.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
That is a slow moving vehicle placard. I assume you are not a SMV. You could get a ticket for using that.
NOT if its attached to the snowmobile and NOT the truck!

I have tons of farm implements and such that have them pertinently attached to them that get towed/hauled on trailers, its perfectly legal here in PA and other states I know of too
but like anything always check your state rules!

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
400 Posts
Very good point. I had failed to process that the attachment was to the sled and not the truck.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Very good point. I had failed to process that the attachment was to the sled and not the truck.
the real idea there is to just add visibility to it hanging off back of truck away from vehicles tail lights, being reflective and fairly large in size and in MIDDLE of truck, just adds a safety factor to those behind it
and I doubt many average drivers know what the sign really means any how
its just IMO about showing any law enforcement that gets behind you , that you made the effort to make things as safe as possible
adding a red ribbon or like flag to things is all Legally maybe needed, but, it doesn;t offer any real help in the mass amounts of morons on roads to day to see things

the larger reflective the sign the better IMO< and or more lights you have on the better LOL

there just a lot of bad drivers out there now,
smarter the vehicles get the dumber the drivers seem to be getting!

ad in snow falling, and all, its just a easy thing to add that can IMO add a layer of safety to help prevent something dumb from happening!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I’m going to be taking my 2017 arctic cat m8000 sno pro 153” to MN I’m wondering if anyone else has had any issues with it I’ll have roughly 4’ 98” hanging off my tailgate
4 foot or 98 inches hanging off the back which is it?
Maybe rent a trailer or even better yet get a 8ft box f250 and be done with it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm betting that this guy already came to Minnesota. However, I just drove from Lake Of The Woods all the way back to the Twin Cities and saw probably fifteen snowmobiles hanging out the back of truck beds. It is very common here and no trooper is going to pull you over. If you want to be 100% legal, then yes, tie a red ribbon/flag or something that will wave around as you drive.

Nothing to worry about in this state unless you're doing 85mph and mouth off to the trooper.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
731 Posts
Man your treading on thin ice with this one. I would mount amber strobes on the haul vehicle and add oversized vehicle banners. Then you must hire 2 pilot car drivers, one in front, one in back. They should be driving bare Jeeps and be wearing bikinis to take the attention off of you. Preferably they should be female...but in a pinch, if you can find only male drivers, the hairier and fatter the better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts