Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Right in Burlignton, no. However, you can be on decent trails with a 20 minute tow. Really good trails will take you a while to tow to.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Buy a trailer! :Wow1:

·
Registered
377 Posts
You can ride to Lake Champlain on trails in several places but not all the time and the trails aren't real great unless there is alot of snow.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The lake keeps the Champlain Valley lower on snow than the farther East portions of the state.

Chittenden county which includes Essex, Colchester, Milton (and Burlington but no trails there) .... has one large loop trail. It is usually beat to dirt as this is the population center of the state. I live just off this loop and have not ridden it is 2 years, prefering to trailer East or North to Quebec.

There are several public lake access points where you could unload your sled and ride on the ice if that is your thing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by REV600HOSDI@Oct 4 2005, 06:05 PM
well how far is it to tow to good trails from champlain??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=908381
[/quote]

Champlain College is in the center of Burlington.

It is a 15 min drive to the Colchester/Mallets Bay lake access. If the lake is frozen good you can cross and get on to the Milton/Essex trail loop.

It is a 20 min drive to the trail crossing/parking in Essex Center on Rte 117, several farm fields usually have good coverage and the Saxon Hill club does an excellent job of grooming.

It is an 40 min drive to Waterbury good trails there.

It is an hour drive to Morrisville good trails there.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Depending on snow conditions....usually good by Feb(except last year :dunno: ), you can trailer down to Hinesburg and park at Ballards store. You can head to Waitsfield from there (awesome trails :div20: ) or you can head towards Essex and points north and east. They usually do a good job of grooming in that area when the snow is adequate. Hinesburg is about 15 min south of Burlington.

Another option is to head a little further south on Rt 116 to Starksboro, trail 17 crosses Rt.116 and you can park on the side road right where the trail crosses and the head up towards Waitsfield. Waitsfield usually has good snow early due to its trail system being at a high elevation plus awesome grooming to boot. :beerchug: :fluffy:

There is a trail that goes to the Dutch Mill Inn in South Burlington/Shelburne border on Rt. 7, I am not sure of the parking situation there though...but I have ridden there on occasion from Hinesburg.....assuming the conditions allow it.

Hopefully this winter we can ride from all areas early!!!!! :banana:

Happy trails!!!!! :luxhello: :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
302 Posts
A little here and there, but not really. You pretty much gotta stay on the trail. My buddies and I hop off the trail here and there to play in fields. It's kind of an "unwritten" rule that it's ok to play off trail as long as there is plenty of snow cover and no signs saying "stay on trail" or "no snomobiles". I could show you some places to play that are within 20-30min drive from Burlington.

What is the riding like where you are from?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Actually it's a written rule that you do stay on trails unless you have permission or are the landowner. It pisses me off everytime I have to put up a STAY ON TRAIL sign. We have lost trails in recent years because people decided it was OK to play in the field.

·
Registered
302 Posts
But REV600HOSDI, as you can see by Sael's post, we have a lot of uptight tree huggin landowners here, so you really need to be smart about where u go.

Edit: Sael, I'm not calling you the greenie, I'm just agreeing with you that there are landowners out there like your talking about.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
theres alot of different types of riding here in central new york. I prefer to ride alot in open fields and do jumps. but i still like to do trail riding as long as the trails are good.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Unless you speak directly to the landowner and get permission...NEVER go off trail.

Do you think the clubs have tons of money and time to invest in putting up stay on the trail signs every 50 feet? Well they don't!

If you want to ride where ever, pony up the bucks and buy your own plot of land or don't ride.

I've seen enough trail closures.

It's not all about greenies either. If I was a non-snowmobiling landowner I wouldn’t' want tracks all over my property ruining the beauty of the crisp white snow or running down my newly planted row of tree seedlings.

Think about it people... it is a privilege not a right!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im just are you guys all tree huggers??? common u gotta have some fun off trail and hit up some major boondocking

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by REV600HOSDI@Oct 7 2005, 11:35 AM
Im just are you guys all tree huggers??? common u gotta have some fun off trail and hit up some major boondocking
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=914594
[/quote]

Whatever.....you probably have a modified muffler on your sled too.

Do us all a favor stay off the Vast trails and ride in a circle in your Mommy and Daddy's yard.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Originally posted by RedRizza@Oct 7 2005, 03:56 AM
It's kind of an "unwritten" rule that it's ok to play off trail as long as there is plenty of snow cover and no signs saying "stay on trail" or "no snomobiles".
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=914041
[/quote]

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by REV600HOSDI@Oct 7 2005, 11:35 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=914594
[/quote]

Please stay in NY with that attitude............We don't want anymore closed trails! Some people love their pristine open snow covered trails w/o snowmobiles on them.........People are friendly here in VT ...........ask for permission before you boondock or ride with some of the locals who already have permission..........by riding in a field without permission from the owner YOU ARE SCREWING THE REST OF US VT SNOWMOBILERS!...........we're a small tightnit group, let's keep it that way! Thanks! :beer:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Originally posted by yo momma@Oct 7 2005, 12:23 PM
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please stay in NY with that attitude............We don't want anymore closed trails! Some people love their pristine open snow covered trails w/o snowmobiles on them.........People are friendly here in VT ...........ask for permission before you boondock or ride with some of the locals who already have permission..........by riding in a field without permission from the owner YOU ARE SCREWING THE REST OF US VT SNOWMOBILERS!...........we're a small tightnit group, let's keep it that way! Thanks! :beer:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=914696
[/quote]

:werd:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts