Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in past strange winters, when the mild weather closes the trails, I head off to Owen Sound, Peterborough, Eganville, Barrie or Midhurst. This year, when I take in the races, it sometimes inludes a starting line view!

This weekend, many trails will be closed but the racing continues in Owen Sound.

Yesterday, I dropped by to see how race mechanic Mike Schmidt was doing. He and his guys have to prep the sleds for Team Kodiak/Sloot Racing and also prep the sleds for Ric Wilson's team. The London Recreation Race Shop has about fifteen sleds to work on during each week. "My" sled got a new track and new studs yesterday! Thanks Mike!

[attachment=416513:KodiakSchmidt.jpg]

[attachment=416512:4CSchmidt.jpg]

[attachment=416511:340Schmidt.jpg]

Phil Molto
CSRA # 340
SnowGoer Canada
Antique and Classic Snowmobile Club of Canada

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've wanted to race since I was a teenager, standing beside the OSRF's ice oval tracks. Stock, mod or super-mod, I would have given anything to be out there on the track.

At the age of 43, I was shooting snowcross stories for Snowmobiler Television. I arranged with the CSRA and Factory Recreation/Royal Distributing to let me follow a TrailSport race with a helmet cam and a 440 Ski-Doo. When I finished those snowcross laps at Chicopee, I was hooked! I got one real race in last April at HorseShoe Resort with the same team and had a fantastic weekend.

At the OSM Toronto Sled Show I was visiting with the various teams I'd got to know. John Sloot and I were visiting several times over the weekend, as his race trailer was directly across from our vintage sled display. John offered me a ride with his team, and voila, I am a racer, having a total blast.

Here in Kitchener, I have a great wife and three great kids who free me up to do this stuff, and you'll often see them at sled events with me. My son (16) will be working trackside with me, and he was at some oval races these past winters.

Racing is great, I love it! Yell at me this weekend if I'm walking/limping by your area.

Phil.
CSRA #340

[attachment=417055:IMG_3571.JPG]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts