Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been phoning around.. I'm looking to replace my 10 foot 97 featherlite with snopro cap for something a little larger with drive-on-drive-off capability. I found a "loadrite" and a Floe that fit the bill. Both have 'gull-wing' style doors front and aft, and single axle. The Floe is about $800 bucks more..

Questions are:
1) is the Floe really worth the extra money?
2) anyone have any experience with Loadrite?
3) what do you think my trailer is worth in trade or sale?
4) should I just keep what I have and wait till next fall?

Thanks guys! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Rob? Why do you need a trailer? Cant you ride from your house?

I would like an enclosed to. But cant help with this subject.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
rob,
i picked up my new floe last night, this trailer is built like a brick shit house, absolutely flawless
paid $4,750.00 out the door with spare tire and salt shield you fold down and drive off of.
4-place 20 foot plus v-nose, has tu huge alum. i - beams down center of trailer, very strong
dealer said he can't believe the difference between the floes and the other brands he sells,
most people shy away from the floe because of the price, if it lasts twice as long it's worth it
went with the 13" tire upgrade, those little tires on the cheaper trailers spin fast and heat up the bearings

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rob,

I'm in the same boat. I have an enclosed two place and loading and unloading is time consuming and a total hassle compared to a drive-on-drive-off.

I decided to wait until the fall - more money for ridding this year.

·
Registered
180 Posts
rob, IMO the Floe is the best built small trailer out there. I strongly feel it's worth the extra$. I think it's even better built than the smaller Featherlites, but their 4 place Featherlites are the premier big trailer -should be for $10K++
I highly recommend the 12' gullwing with tandem axle. Sleds are getting longer and longer. Next year you might own a 144" SKS or 144" F7 and then you are set for a while. The tandem really pulls nice. It supports itself so you don't get the front/back rocking of a single axle. Likewise, it is much more stable in crosswinds. I was next to a single axle on a long trip in high crosswinds with my tandem . Sgl- all over the freeway, tandem - tracks straight ahead. Tandem isn't that much pricier - $300???
Do a test on Floe vs other:
1. Look at tongue on each. Floe is shaped for more strength & has another strengthening member cast inside tongue.
2. Look at alum beams under trailer. I haven't seen another trailer yet with same size, other brands are smaller.
2a. stand on front outside corner of trailer. Floe -no flex. I'll bet the other one flexs.
3. Compare quality of enclosures. Floe is all aluminum framework, great welds. Skin is all aluminum, bonded to frame with aircraft industry "glue" so no rivets/screws in the skin.
4. Decks- Floe is cradled in aluminum sides, nicely recessed where you drive on/off , has tie down channel where you can put sled exactly where you want. Manu other brands have screw heads sticking out etc.
5. tie down bars. Floe has new quick tie down bars, just used that once so can't give it the stamp of approval -yet.
6. Floe has fully encased/shielded/protected wiring and truck grade lights. I've owned 6 Floes and never had a lighting problem.
I have no affiliation with Floe, just my personal experience.

PM me if you have questions
I went with 10" rims instaed of opt 13". 13" were a cheap option, nice to be bigger BUT they'd also raise deck height- more above vehicle while towing and ramp would then be steeper also.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
snowface,
arctic cat dealer in shorewood,il
(shorewood home & auto) 815-741-2941 ask for ky moyer he is the power center manager

·
Registered
109 Posts
Rob,

Having owned a Floe and no experiece with enclosed I will offer my 2 cents as well. Floe is a good trailer, however in the end it did not stand up to the abuse I gave it. I did not like the bed or the ramp. That was 6 years ago and certainly they may have improved. If you are moving to a larger trailer, I would definitely recommend dual axle and brakes. I have replaced my Floe with a 14' Sledbed, dual axle, hydraulic brakes (so others can drive). Seems much better for pulling, stops 10X better, and tire wear so far seems to be very good. I can still move it around by hand, despite the dual axle. For the traveling you do, I think you should consider regardless of the brand you end up with.

·
Registered
614 Posts
rob

Atomicat and I bought a new AmeriLite 16' 2 place V-nose all-aluminium enclosed drive-on-off fully trimmed interior for just about $5000 even OTD including drop down leveling legs on the rear, two-door wall-mounted cabinet, v-nose mounted rack that can hold 4 cases of oil, two bright interior lights, two halogen rear loading lights, tongue wheel for easy manuevering, roof vent. It's a SWEET trailer. If you skipped all the bells and whistles, you could save a few hundred. It's basically 8' wide, 6' interior height and 16' interior lenght including v-nose. We sold our old 14' Pace American steel frame for this one. It's wayyyy lighter and a joy to pull. I could pull it with my Aerostar if needed. If you need pics or contact info, no prob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the input, and I am leaning toward getting a Floe. Trouble is, they are hard to find, and dealers don't want to order.. What's the best way to find one like I want and get the best buy? I'd actually like to buy in Canada if possible.

·
Registered
404 Posts
What about Triton? I bought a Triton 12' drive on drive off clam shell for $3000. I love it, I looked at the Floe and liked the heavy duty of the Triton better. The clam shell is built here in Nottingham NH.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Rob - the floe is well worth the money... it is so functional and well built...made for sledders by sledders, out here in the heartland. 800 in the long run is not alot of dough.

IMHO, it is worth it.
good luck.
kj

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
2 Place Aluminum Triton, with the Fiberglass Top Cat, Drive-on/off, light, pulls phenominal.

Buddy had one prior and in my 10 yrs. of riding, haven't seen a better one. Big tires....and that fiberglass cap, nothing sticks to it!

Bought it used for $2,000...great buy!!

Confused yet??

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
FLOE IS THE BEST.

I got a 4 place floe, with the 13" tires and electric brakes.

The floe is built like a tank. Those beams that go down the center of the trailer rest directly on top of the axels makeing it structually stonger. You can slide the axels down the beams to adjust the weight. I have never seen a trailer with adjustable axels. Also the floe has electric brakes on BOTH axels. Some companies cheat and only put it on one or worse yet they use surge brakes. Great wiring on the floe, ive never had a wiring problem on this trailer and they actually ground out the ground. Ive trailered 4 sleds on it at speeds over 90 and it never shook or rattled. The ramp doesn't rattle either because it uses a old fasion ski tie down crank to clamp it in place. Plywood is also extra thick and it is rounded around the edges and the tie down guide.

Dont be a fool buy a FLOE. I think mine was in the $3200 dollar ball park for mine.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i had a 10' sledbed with a topcap and loved it. but too short for F7 . i bought a new topcap on a triton elite 12'. very nice! i like the hinge system far better than what was on my old trailer. about 3000 miles over the holidays out to wyoming and back, didn't hardly know it was there. i pull with a 99' silverado , 75 mph , 13mpg.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
nh patriot, are you crazy? the triton does not even compare to a floe, i have done extensive research to spend my money wisely on a trailer the triton is a yugo compared to a floe, have you ever knelt down to look at the construction of a trailer?
probally not or you would not have posted that!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Rob, check out the High Country trailer, their made right over there in White River Junct. I have one and am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I live in Maryland and drove to Maine to buy a Titan (made by Sno Pro, from what I can see). I bought my Cats down here in PA for warranty issues, but figured I would not have any trailer issues. Titan has beams from the front to the rear, closed in the front. 20" of tie down adjustment (nice, but not enough). I bought a 12' tilt, 10" tires standard, enclosed, light kit with one inside (high rise lights and brake lights in the rear of enclosure were not an option), struts on the side instead of back corner for the cover, torsion axle, 'D' rated tires, opens in the back only, diamond plate, rubber strip across the deck front (keeps water out on the road), lights, wishbone tongue, for 2,550. For another 340 I added jack, spare, twin hydraulic tubes for the tilt, mats, and ski glides (slides?). It also has a replaceable deck edge lip in the rear. Total was 2,890. My dealer wanted the same price for a 10' tilt with less features. My wifes grandma lives in Maine, so I went up and back for $150, including gas, some good, tolls. My dealer sells Bearcats. They are OK, no replaceable rear lip. Also, they don't make a 12' tilt, just ramps. I will haul/ride 10 or so times at best, so tilt is OK. Ramp is not really any faster in my opinion. Also, wanted to spend the money saved on an F7 over the F5! If I live farther north and rode more I would spend the bucks and get an all aluminum in-line by Renegade or Triton or the other big names. Triton has the rounded edges on top, nice look. My kids are 4 and 2, so the plan is to get an in-line for when I grow to 4 sleds. Pricing on bigger trailers is hard, as some have standard items when others have them as options. For example, front door, front door spring assist, stainless hinges and clasps, an inside light switch (I guess the lights come on with a the back or front door open?) grease zerks on hinges, inside lining (plywood, luann, or aluminum), gas doors, access doors, vents on top, salem vents, # of axles, type of brakes, brakes on one axle or both, and height. Some are 5', some are 5.5', some 6', some 6.6'. Sorry so long!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can talk all day! Floe is made in MN and my relatives back there and ND, where I grew up, like them. They are nice. Forget the LoadRite.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I own a very nicely built homemade v nose 2 or three bed drive in and out tandem axle enclosed. Very nice to stand up in and change into riding gear or do repairs and so on. But it is an absolute TANK to pull. the side by side clamshell styles pull much better but you loose some of the above conviences. Several of my riding group are or have either built or purchased the two bed in line style trailers , open and enclosed. I speak from experience when I tell you these things pull effortlessly. Decisions decisions, good luck Rob !

1 - 20 of 34 Posts