Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one from Maine ever bought a new trailer from a dealer in New Hampshire then went to register it in Maine. What did you have to bring in for paper work seeing how there is no title for trailers in Maine?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but it doesn't really help. I purchased the trailer new, and did not get a green form that says I paid sales tax because there is no sales tax in New Hampshire. The other thing is there is no title on trailers this light, so no title application form was given.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Easiest thing to do is register it as a non resident. All you would need is an out of state address. (easier for some than others) as a non resident sales tax isn't nessesary. I believe if you dont have a green tax paper you can just pay the tax as a resident in a town hall and regester it there. Hope this helps, frank

·
Registered
115 Posts
How and where do you reg. as a non resident? I know I did that for my sled online but can't do that for trailers. . .i think? I need to my bill of sale into a branch office?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't think you register a trailer as "out of state". You would have to register the trailer in that other state, like a car.

Best bet is to go to your town office. They'll probably make you pay the sales tax there.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If its like a car they will look up the value and charge the sales tax on that so either get a copy of bill of sale from dealer or be prepaired to pay what the town clerk tells you,anyway you do it you need to pay the sale tax

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sales Tax Sucks. It used to be in Maine that if you purchased a USED trailer there was no sales tax. I think that has changed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm pretty sure you cant register it in Maine if you dont have an address here to use. If you have a camp or friend who's address you can use you should be all set. Write up a bill of sale say you bought it off a buddy.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Registering it in Maine is not an issue. I live in Maine. I just don't know what to do to register it for the first time.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Sales Tax Sucks. It used to be in Maine that if you purchased a USED trailer there was no sales tax. I think that has changed.[/b]

Wanna be careful on that one. The state tax bureau is doing spot checks on sales tax and the amounts claimed when registering. Sold a bike to a guy and the state called me to ask what I sold it for to see if it matched the amount claimed when registering.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Bite the bullet and pay the tax just get the dealer to send you or fax up copy of sales slip ,you can't have payed alot for it atleast not like a new car or something

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Doesn't matter the state you bought the trailer, you will be required to pay sales tax on it however.
You will need the original bill of Sale. Shouldn't be hard to get. You said it's brand new. Just have the dealer fax it to the town office. Pretty simple, unless it's stolen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts