90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a trailer
new sled bed vs floe 8.5X10 ramp

floe has turbo lube oil bath hub
sled bed has regular greased bearing

sled bed has its knock off bar system
floe has the vera trak

anyone own either one? can u give me comments?

floe is $1780 new
sled bed $1399 new

all opinions are good!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I currently have a 99?? Sled bed 2 place STEEL trailer and if it's construction is any indication of how their aluminium trailers are made stay far, far away. I had to pretty much rebuild the subframe this summer as it broke off in the rear mount holes for the axle, when i pulled the deck off to do repairs I was really dissapointed to see how it was made, very flimsy. I added a center tie down while the welder was out, seemed like it was broke up allot worse on the passengers side, the side I always haul my sled on when it is alone on the trailer. Pulls way nicer with a single sled when it is in the center for sure. Oil bath hubs are better then a simple greased bearing IMO, and with their track tie down system you have more adjustment as far as where the weight is placed on the vehicle. On my Sled Bed the rear set of supplied tiedown holes and two sled tied on it and it is pretty much neutral , very little tongue weight I can lift it with one hand. Trailer will sometimes whip or sway when it is neutral like that. Pull the sleds up to the front set and it puts allot more weight on the vehicle and while not a big deal on a full size tow unit it is with my S10 Blazer, she squats pretty good with two sleds on it. I am unhappy, go with the Floe. I like the drive on/off better as well.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I am on my 3rd sled bed and have liked all 3
tilt,
drive on drive off
enclosed.
To date I have never had any problems. The fiberglass cap fastening system is not the easiest to use though.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
sledbed are usually junk. Floe is much nicer, and pretty solid. One step better is a Triton Elite.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Both main rails on my sled Bed split at the axle mount hole. I would not buy another one.
[/quote

Check your aluminum frames if you have a sled bed. They break at the axle mount. One guy I know found out the hard way when his bed broke loose from the trailer. Totaled trailer but sled was OK. Another friend told me a few weeks ago that his aluminum rail is broke at the axle mount too.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would easily compare my 12ft montrose, tilt with drive on drive off cap anytime to a triton,floe, r&r...Montrose trailer.com

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 12ft Floe Gull Wing style. I really like it. The onlt complaint is the front door will ice and freeze. Floe has a plastic kit from preventing it from freezing. I have not bought it yet.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
good choice my 10 year old hardly used sled bed cracked above the
axle also. when I called and questioned them they said I haul my
sleds to far back and needed more tongue weight. funny thing when
I asked them if more weight would stop the tongue from cracking
(yes it also cracked). they had no answer. these trailers should be
recalled, if they were "ford" trailers nhtsa would be all over thier asses.

·
Registered
586 Posts
seen the Floe trailers at the SnowShow with cold welds that were cracked....Thought more of the quality of the Sled Bed with the A frame front tongue...

Have a Load Rite trailer & the underside cracked loose....Load Rite made good with a new bottom half....

Still miss the old galvanized steel Remeq out of Canada....

In a nutshell, it seems Aluminum trailers fatigue far to soon & fail far more so than the old Galvanized Steel counterparts....

Saw a galvanized steel trailer & glass from Legend ?? Leyland out of Ontario...that looked the best so far, w/o going to a fully enclosed trailer.

·
Premium Member
39,119 Posts
I have owned both, Floe is much better quality, Sled Bed is ok for the cost though. I now have a solid stainless steel trailer from Royal.

Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts