Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Planning for next year already and bored as hell from COVID. Looking to buy a two place trailer and originally was set on buying a hybrid but after towing a two place open trailer it has me thinking an inline hybrid like the TC167 might be a better option.

I realized towing something that wide is annoying and you definitely have to be careful in tight lanes or construction zones. I also figure a narrower trailer will tow better. I drive a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi so towing capacity isn't a problem.

Those with an inline hybrid do you regret it? If you were doing it again would you get the same? I don't want a V nose. The trailer will be used for sleds exclusively. Storage room at home isn't a problem.

Give me all your advice! Ive read as many threads as I could.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really like my SnoPro 12' Hybrid. i didn't want the extra length of an inline. Guess it depends on how far you tow. Our trips are only 3 to 4 hours each way. I have a 3/4 ton, so towing is not an issue for me either.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really like my SnoPro 12' Hybrid. i didn't want the extra length of an inline. Guess it depends on how far you tow. Our trips are only 3 to 4 hours each way. I have a 3/4 ton, so towing is not an issue for me either.
How do job find the visibility? Is the ramp steep for loading? My truck is already 20ft. I figure a 16 foot or 12 foot trailer isn't going to be much different. Towing the 8.5 wide seems like a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Full width (8'6" ) trailers are nice when you need to work on a sled inside it. In my hybrid, I can park a sled in the middle, and have lots of space to work on either side. Changing a track inside it right now, no issues.

A 7 footer wouldn't give much elbow room.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
well I have towed both , and many other types of trailers over the yrs there is no doubt a narrower trailer is easier to tow and see behind you, , offers a TAD more wiggle room on drifting side to side, but your NOT talking much here to be honest.I personally would have to say for me it would come down to HOW far I would be towing* and how often?if not far, IMO< a 8.5 wide enclosed trailer, deck over wheels , is a VERY simple easy trailer to tow and use, they are LIGHT too, and I think the cheapest to get into as to an inline, and I am NOT talking Clam shells I mean a real enclosed snowmobile trailer, 8.5x12-14 ft+ a V here!my last one was 8.5x12+ a 6 ft V, I towed about 7500+ miles the past 3 yrs, thu sow storms and icy roads and countless construction zones
with NO issue's, it weighted I think 1200 lbs or less empty, so minus it being wider than truck and HIGHER, and catching wind that way, it wasn't a bad trailer to tow at all IMO*
a perk to these types are if you tow in SNOW a lot, the higher trailer deck can help you , as to lower inlines!
*NOt a* BIG difference, but it is there!
Now* the longer* the trailer is, the easier they are to BACK up( TO A POINT)short trailers are effected more by smaller movements and can be very tricky to back up for many folks!but all basic's still apply, skills matter on driver !however IF I was buying* new and costs were NOT an issue(or not much difference between them)and I towed far or often.*or a 2 sled trailer,*
I think I would want an IN LINE over a 8.5 wide, i just more pro's than con's to there designs, , on LONG trips, and just in general*get slight better MPG towing, sit lower, less cross wind effects, lower loading angle on ramps, and can see a tad better behind you!!but I would 100% WANT a front ramp and a rear ramp* for sure,
and a 5 ft or LARGER V on the front, they just offer more room and IMO track better when being towed, helping again direct / cut wind, as to a trailer that doesn't have a V on them or a very short V!
and if I was buying ,I would buy MORE Trailer than I THINK I would need or want!small difference in towing a 16 or 20 ft one, yet ALL that extra room is nice to have
Trailers are almost like garages or shops, there NEVER enough room as time goes by, you want more in them and fill things!*as long as you have room to park it in off season, little better is way better than JUST enough !*

and food for thought on options that should be on ALL snowmobile trailers*
good large diamond plating stone shields on front and rear of trailer,good aluminum*
plating from floor up walls a ft or more! more is better here,
GOOD treated flooring or the more high tech flooring that handles wear and tear and water better!
in floor e track or like attachment system, and a few HD tie downs(better to have these installed at factory IMO than adding later on)'
a wall mounted spare tire holder,
at least one decent sized shelf!
finished ceiling to keep condensation from raining down on sleds from temp changes
a ROOF vent and wall vents!
galvanized axles!
back up lights
rear LIVE view wireless camera system, for lane changing and backing up and?? and being wireless, any vehicle you tow, you can take monitor and use in!

extra options to consider,IMO< these are nice but Not on my MUST have list like above would be!
120 volt plug in set up for charging or running things(Like heater or??)
curved roofs* to help snow come off on its own and less work to clear before towing!
walled, walls and or even insulated walls and roof!

food for thought!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
IF I was buying* new and costs were NOT an issue(or not much difference between them)and I towed far or often.*or a 2 sled trailer,*
I think I would want an IN LINE over a 8.5 wide, i just more pro's than con's to there designs, , on LONG trips, and just in general*get slight better MPG towing, sit lower, less cross wind effects, lower loading angle on ramps, and can see a tad better behind you!!but I would 100% WANT a front ramp and a rear ramp* for sure,
I was looking at a 7.5 wide Neo, round top, this what your thinking is?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Have a 2018 single axle 7’6” x 16’ hybrid inline. Very happy with it. Wouldnt change a thing.

The 6” extra width is critical for me with sleds getting bigger these days. Tows perfect. Plenty of room for our 146” and 137” and lots of gear too. Lightweight. I like the inline which is not only narrower but lower. Without the V nose its lighter and makes the single axle doable which also keeps it lighter.

Only if you are driving Pennsylvania to the County or Quebec (big miles) several times a year...Id go dual axle with brakes myself. Your milage may vary.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I was looking at a 7.5 wide Neo, round top, this what your thinking is?
that sounds like a nice platform!
it is how ever only 6 inches narrower on each side when towing, so its NOT a huge width savings, but when the trailer sits lower, it has less drag over the top of behind the truck!, or until you get them with added height , then your getting that same drag again or more pending HOW tall you go!

as for single or dual axle trailers, I have both, and have towed them far and wide(3 axle trailers too)
I would NOT really want a trailer over 12 ft without two axles and brakes!
even though my last 8.5x12+6v ft was a single axle trailer and I was OK with it, I tow with a big heavy diesel and its got good brakes to handle the NON brake axle smaller trailer, but in a smaller lighter truck, it might have some push in a panic stop or on slippery roads than some might want to experience)

like it or not, there not that much more maintenance, yes brakes can be a bitch at time,s but there also very nice to have, and the weight ratings allow or much more use of trailer and , odds are easier resale
as most folks seem to find dual axle trailers easier to tow and back up?
I have never noticed this, but I hear it all the time LOL

they can also help a lot with loading and tongue weight issue's(I highly recommend using a
weight safe brand Ball holder with a scale built in to help folks load trailers)
sure takes the guess work out of things and there adjustable to keep things level for you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
How do job find the visibility? Is the ramp steep for loading? My truck is already 20ft. I figure a 16 foot or 12 foot trailer isn't going to be much different. Towing the 8.5 wide seems like a pain in the ass.
Lots of good comments here on both sides. To answer your questions, visibility is not an issue for me as I have pull out camper mirrors on my truck. I also pull a 34' camper in the summer so this is a piece of cake to pull. Ramp is not steep at all, loading works well. I was more concerned about the extra in line length for storage and not for towing. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys for the advice. It is very helpful. These are the trailers I am considering. Both appear to be high quality.

https://actiontrailers.ca/shop/inve...door-loaded-with-glides-and-mats-serial-8359/

Versus:

https://actiontrailers.ca/shop/buil...door-7-wide-inline-hybrid-snowmobile-trailer/

The advantage of the second trailer is higher interior height (9" higher), as well as fuel doors.

The first trailer is 200lbs lighter (1200 vs 1400lbs).

Here is a standard hybrid.

https://actiontrailers.ca/shop/buil...rr-hybrid-rear-ramp-door-8-5-wide-snowmobile/

As you can see the price difference is about $2k. This is in Canada, our pricing sucks. An inline V with front ramp is easily $12k here which is too much for me for how I'll use it.

I don't care much about the fuel economy. At first I was dead set on the standard 8.5 hybrid but the more I see on the road the more I think it just looks like a pain. The narrower trailer may be easier to store for me because I have lots of length beside my garage but the width is only about 15'.

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming. If anybody has pics of their inlines loaded I'd appreciate that too! They have videos on that website if any of you guys are bored and want to watch some trailer tutorial videos. Haha

·
Registered
63 Posts
For those following this thread I would like to pass on my experience with Triton Trailers. I have a Triton TC167. Do not buy a Triton trailer. The axel fell off and wrecked the fenders in the process. I got it home and reattached the axel to the frame. While doing so I noticed there was evidence that only 2 of 4 bolts had been holding the axel on since new (no bolt witness marks). While remounting the axel I noted excessive corrosion from a improper insulating pad. Work experience has given me expertise in that area. My dealer had stopped representing Triton because of poor support but he encouraged me to call them. I called Triton and ended up talking to John in quality control. Because it was out of warrantee I conveyed that I did not expect much but I told him if he would give me a couple of fenders I could explain why there was excessive corrosion on the aluminum frame at the steel axel mounting surface. This problem is common in their industry but it is cheap to fix with a little knowledge. John got back to me with a well written e-mail saying that they had determined that the axel failure was do to poor maintenance. And that was my experience with Triton Trailers.

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. That's crazy. I don't see the quality in triton trailers that everyone swears by. Their pricing is out to lunch and they don't come with a lot of options the ones I posted above do.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Squatting a tad here only because I hadnt taken the six 70lb bags of winter weight tube sand out of the tail of the truck bed before I left yet....actually leave one bag towing in case I need sand for traction somewhere.
What motor do you have and do you know mpg towing that trailer on the E-way say 70 -75mph?

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
Wow. That's crazy. I don't see the quality in triton trailers that everyone swears by. Their pricing is out to lunch and they don't come with a lot of options the ones I posted above do.
Triton is local to me and I have friends that work there.Trust me you are only paying for the name that was built on quality years ago before the family sold the company.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
Something else to keep in mind is that the longer inline trailers get unhappy real quick in cross winds because they are light and long.Im also not a fan of the lightweight perimeter frame that they use.Ive seen some issues.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
For those following this thread I would like to pass on my experience with Triton Trailers. I have a Triton TC167. Do not buy a Triton trailer. The axel fell off and wrecked the fenders in the process. I got it home and reattached the axel to the frame. While doing so I noticed there was evidence that only 2 of 4 bolts had been holding the axel on since new (no bolt witness marks). While remounting the axel I noted excessive corrosion from a improper insulating pad. Work experience has given me expertise in that area. My dealer had stopped representing Triton because of poor support but he encouraged me to call them. I called Triton and ended up talking to John in quality control. Because it was out of warrantee I conveyed that I did not expect much but I told him if he would give me a couple of fenders I could explain why there was excessive corrosion on the aluminum frame at the steel axel mounting surface. This problem is common in their industry but it is cheap to fix with a little knowledge. John got back to me with a well written e-mail saying that they had determined that the axel failure was do to poor maintenance. And that was my experience with Triton Trailers.
well I will say this, ,and please take without need to get mad
BUT any trailer can have a BAD one leave its factory, face it lazy people work every where and many other just don't give a crap about what they make, and NO QC dept will catch everything
This is WHY< its up to YOU the buyer to LOOK over things before buying, and look over many times as an owner, and as time passes!
because ALL things wear out, can come loose and move or?? lots of vibrations on a trailer, and road salt EATS things under them and on and IN them!

question for you since you didn;t list it too!

what yr is your trailer??
and how many yrs have you had it,??

and what you NEVER looked under it to see there were only 2 bolts holding axle to frame??

I am under MY trailers several times a yr inspecting things and doing PM's

again, ALL things wear out and its up to its owners to do PM's and make sure things are good yr to yr at a MIN
nothing last forever!

and don't forget folks, TIRES have a date on them for a reason, its NOT just tread wear and how much is there, before its time to replace them!
age alone is reason to replace to ensure safe travels!
SO< over all, I wouldn't BASH, a OEM due to a failure or flaw here 100% some falls on the owner IMO, and sorry if this offends you!
my one sled trailer is on its 4th axle< so, I do know they w ear out and need replacing at points down the road BEFORE a failure happens

1 - 20 of 134 Posts