Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Odd question. I was wondering if anyone has bought a Mountain sled and used it from trail riding?

If you do, Do you go full stock? Or has anyone went thru and changed clutching and gearing ECT. and just took it on the trails.

Just curious.

Blake
2-23-21

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes I trail ride my 12 m8 alot actually and changed gears after 2 years. And have to change clutching obviously. And scratchers. You will want a wide front end for trails narrow is to tipy and ski lift on every corner. Its a bear in the corners sometimes with the long track but its fun on a good groom trail you never lose traction. And can always dart off trail on a lake or in the woods in deep stuff.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I have. It sucks. I wished I was on my trail sled. It cornered like crap and inside ski lift at low speeds. I could corner probably 15 to 20 mph faster on my Pro-R switchback... And I was way out front of the other mountain sleds on the trail. So I was pushing it as hard as I could and I was still slower in the corners than riding at a more relaxed pace on my Pro R.

Clutching you will need to change weights for lower elevation.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When my 19 year old son joins, I trail ride my 163 Pro while he rides the Indy. Corners are tough as it pushes quite a bit, but it’s certainly doable. Conditions have to be really bad for mine to get to 140+ temps with scratchers down.

Personally, I’d rather ride my 163 than ANY pre-rider forward sled on the trails. A mountain sled isn’t ideal on trails, but not the worst either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 2019 m6000 141. I set the skis to full wide (38.5") and I swapped the track to a Backcountry 1.75", lost surprisingly little offtrail capability (in Northern Ontario deep snow) and it's far better on trail. I cannot keep up with a trail sled but it is definitely adequate. It's a pretty stellar sled for ungroomed logging roads and powerlines/trail breaking. The worst part about trailriding newer Cat M-series sleds is their tiny heat exchanger. My scratchers go down at the start of the day and never come up.

They could also benefit from a regear, the 19/50 gearing makes trail riding mpg terrible and throttle response is jerky at low speeds on hard pack.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I have rode Mt sleds 10-15+ miles to get to off trail and found they SUCK IMO< on trail as to a trail sled, I would have no understanding why anyone would want to try and make one into a trail sled, the costs and work to do so just isn;t worth it,. as it will never be close to a trail sled

if you want to ride trails save yourself the hassle and troubles, BUY a trial sled

as even if you alter gearing add a wider front end, your still turning a much longer track that will burn more fuel and even with ice scratchers will get a LOT hotter than a trail sled in same condition
and you will always have push in corners from that LONG track/skid under you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I run my MTX 153 on the trails when either my wife or a friend is on the XTX. The scratchers are down most of the time and I am not the fastest around the corners, but it is still better than not going at all. Don't try to make it a trail sled and know what you have and enjoy it for what it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts