Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Polaris Assault 800
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trial ported my jugs myself with the help of a local racer. Most companies out there that trail port the jugs, just clean up the surface on the middle, main port and then raise the outer ports to match the inner port. Thats it. $300-$400 to raise the small outer ports about 2 mm. I raised the ports slowly and gently from the exaust side until they were the same height as the middle. Then tappered the edge of the port on the inside of the jug so the rings would not catch the sharp edge. This was a slow and time consuming job, but you have to take your time to not ruin the Nicasil lining. It is possible for the average guy to port your own jugs, if you have the proper grinding tools. This is by no means a full blown race port, but the average trail rider does not need a full blown race port. I also ordered custom made base gaskets from Cometic to raise the ports, and then cut the stock head to match. RKtek head is going on ebay. Below is a picture of what I took off (dotted lines). The gray area is the stock porting to show you.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
You just worked on the exaust ports only? Did you polish it? I have raised the boost port with good results to fill and sweep the cyl. Did you leave all the intake ports alone? Just looking for more info for a better job on the next project. :div20:

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
any chance you will get some dyno info ? I have away wanted to a back yard job but could bring myself to chance the cost of a 2 stroke motor. sounds like you had some good advice so it not much of a chance!

·
Registered
2012 Polaris Assault 800
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleaned up all the ports, intake and exhaust. I only changed the 2 outer exhaust ports for height only. I just wanted some extra for the trail, and seeing how I had the jugs off to plug the decompressions holes, I did the porting. Perfect time to do it. I will be going to the engine dyno when its all together, but my problem is that I am changing so much on the motor, I really wont know what did what. Heres what I am doing and did so far: Plug decompression holes, clean up the ports and raise the 2 outer exhaust ports, thicker base gasket, RAD valves, complete SLP single pipe, cut the stock head to compensate for the thicker base gaskets (made the total squish .040") (selling the RKtek head). In the drivetrain I put in a lightweight chromoly jackshaft, Wave brake rotor and pads. I am most likely going to change all 4 rings when I go to put it back together, but they are $37.00 a piece!! Dam. It only has 2000 miles on it, but now is the time to do it I guess. Money, money, money! How much do you want to spend, is the name of the game.

:beer:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
That thing will rock when you are done! Its kinda like a madness, spend till it hurts, then spend some more! :augen41: Let use know what the dyno says.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts