Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my marathon 12 hour 254 mile "use it before we loose it" ride yesterday I ran across the Elmira Club trail Patrol. It looks like they had just set up and I stopped to chat for a minute, within minutes this guy without a permit comes riding up and stops, shuts his sled off and says......Yes I would love to buy a permit here's my cash. How often does that happen? He had waited to purchase his permit and tried a number of places before going out but was unable to get a permit before riding.

The trails around the north of Kitchener were really busy and by the end of the day were getting pretty slushy and were beat to crap. Just a sign of how many riders there are in the area and the tough job the Clubs have in keeping up with grooming.

It was amazing to see that the majority of sleds had young people either riding with their parents on on their own sleds. What a nice site to see. I wanted to get a couple pictures of the younger folks out on the trail but the drizzle and snow started falling so it was not conducive to taking good family photo's.

As your riding down the trails it hard to imagine all of work that has gone into getting the trails put in and groomed. Something to think about next time your out riding, there's a lot more to it than just putting a few stakes in a field.

My thanks to everyone involved in the Golden Triangle Snowmobile Assc. for all the hard work they have done to set up and maintain these trails that I enjoyed riding so early in our season this year.

·
Registered
764 Posts
That's actually an old trick Indy! I got that a few times when I was a patrol at Conestoa lake. People ride around with no pass, and money, or cheque in their wallets. If they get caught they gladly pay the pass. If they don't get caught, they gladly ride the trails! If they don't get stopped all season, they have $230 dollars left in their wallet!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
He had waited to purchase his permit and tried a number of places before going out but was unable to get a permit before riding.

The trails around the north of Kitchener were really busy and by the end of the day were getting pretty slushy and were beat to crap. Just a sign of how many riders there are in the area and the tough job the Clubs have in keeping up with grooming.

It was amazing to see that the majority of sleds had young people either riding with their parents on on their own sleds. What a nice site to see. I wanted to get a couple pictures of the younger folks out on the trail but the drizzle and snow started falling so it was not conducive to taking good family photo's.

My thanks to everyone involved in the Golden Triangle Snowmobile Assc. for all the hard work they have done to set up and maintain these trails that I enjoyed riding so early in our season this year.[/b]
Our club ran out of permits a few weeks ago. I heard we got a dozen from Elmira club and were sold quick. He probably did the run around but there are only a few left in the area. I was also told OFSC head office wont have any for a few weeks.

Trail around the north of Kitchener took a beating Friday night from the St Clements wing night. No groom after. I took a short ride (60 miles) yesterday afternoon with Snogirlfx and my son. Trails were brutal. Trails across plowed fields are brown, corners are bare and banked up. The mogels are so big in some spots they swallow the whole sled. Wish I would have been sledding Friday night than cooking wings.

We also noticed the number of kids/families out riding. Thats good to see. Actually didn't see too many weekend warrior types.

Melting real fast around here now.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Same here we've been out for over 2 weeks now, got some off aother club in our district 2 weeks ago and sold out of them too. I believe there is a permit shuffle happening with some northern clubs as we speak ......... should balance out well for the northern clubs with low sales ....... I hope ???

·
Registered
65 Posts
If anyone is looking for a permit I just grabbed one last week at Royal Distributing. They give you three options of which area you want your permit for so you can still support your home trails. Golden Triangle, Belwood Lake and I forget the third.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's actually an old trick Indy! I got that a few times when I was a patrol at Conestoa lake. People ride around with no pass, and money, or cheque in their wallets. If they get caught they gladly pay the pass. If they don't get caught, they gladly ride the trails! If they don't get stopped all season, they have $230 dollars left in their wallet![/b]

This guy seemed sincere, with the conversation we had I would have no doubts believing him that he tried his best to get a permit and as Blackstar and Nutter mentioned there is a lack of permits out there. I have also been a trail patrol/warden for 10 years.

So ? Have we sold that many more permits this year that they are all sold out? Or who at the Barrie office decided to cut back and short ship everyone(at least every Club i have talked to or heard from). We can't sell permits if we don't have them! It's hard to do trail patrol and enforcement if there's no permits!

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Running out of permits?

That must do wonders for permit sales.

What does it actually cost to print a permit sticker? Why not have lots of extras?

:dunno:

This guy seemed sincere, with the conversation we had I would have no doubts believing him that he tried his best to get a permit and as Blackstar and Nutter mentioned there is a lack of permits out there. I have also been a trail patrol/warden for 10 years.

So ? Have we sold that many more permits this year that they are all sold out? Or who at the Barrie office decided to cut back and short ship everyone(at least every Club i have talked to or heard from). We can't sell permits if we don't have them! It's hard to do trail patrol and enforcement if there's no permits![/b]
The OFSC had so much faith in their "Go Snowmobiling" campaign that they shipped the clubs FEWER permits???

:lol:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anyone is looking for a permit I just grabbed one last week at Royal Distributing. They give you three options of which area you want your permit for so you can still support your home trails. Golden Triangle, Belwood Lake and I forget the third.[/b]
From what I heard yesterday on the trail Royal is sold out too now.

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
That's actually an old trick Indy! I got that a few times when I was a patrol at Conestoa lake. People ride around with no pass, and money, or cheque in their wallets. If they get caught they gladly pay the pass. If they don't get caught, they gladly ride the trails! If they don't get stopped all season, they have $230 dollars left in their wallet![/b]

Yup I knew a few that done this

The best is when they get caught end of march and have to buy

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Maybe they took my ranting seriously :lol:

I know we sold 35% less permits

Though supposably the after dec1st sales are going not too bad

I guess they only have themselves to be blamed if they do not have enuff permits to give out

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Running out of permits?

What does it actually cost to print a permit sticker? Why not have lots of extras?

The OFSC had so much faith in their "Go Snowmobiling" campaign that they shipped the clubs FEWER permits???

:lol:[/b]
Our District/Association only orders an amount based on projected permit sales averaged over the past couple of years. This year, with more snow early, our permit sales are going nuts!! Hope it continues with all this "warm" weather we're experiencing...

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Running out of permits?

:lol:[/b]

I can't speak for other districts, but I'd imagine most did the same as us and ordered what they usually order :dunno:
I know they ain't cheap to produce, so we all know if there was a bill for for an extra 400 or 500 pemits at the end of the season there'd be those that scream bloody murder. They only print and distrubute very few over and above what the clubs request.

As for the campaign ... I'd say it increased sales pretty good we were way up even before the snow started to fall.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
How much is "ain't cheap to produce?"

Are they worth .50 each? $1.00 each?

Anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
How much is "ain't cheap to produce?"

Are they worth .50 each? $1.00 each?

Anyone have any idea?[/b]

No idea other then the fact they have anti fraud security measures and are numbered like currency ......... that can't be cheap.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
but when you produce <100,000
Hey maybe with this shortage you will find them on ebay going for $300+ :)[/b]

Or scalpers out in front of the dealers .......

All ready had buddy get one ripped off a couple days ago ... yup he just stuck it on over a nice pealable layer of 5 years worth ?????

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is why its told not to keep adding them up.
Peel the old one off and install new one.
Indy, we might have seen you yesterday we were out all day.

Trails very well used.

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
This is why its told not to keep adding them up.
Peel the old one off and install new one.
Indy, we might have seen you yesterday we were out all day.

Trails very well used.[/b]
I still get a kick out some of the older fellas

I have seen some older sleds with 15+ permits all over the sled

Its like patch work pride :)

G

·
Maybe they like to remind themselves how many times they have bent over to pay for a trail system funded by taxpayers money?[/b]
What is your problem? Was it a club that hurt your feeling, perhaps the ofsc, or are you just sad because you are not wanted in any social circles? To have the attitude you have, is a serious character flaw, I have yet to see you post anything productive on this board. To put it bluntly, you are about as much use to this site as a server crash.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts