Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have the trail conditions improved overall since everyone is now paying with the plates?

Was adding the $40 to the plates a success for the trails?

Should be more money for grooming now, what's the situation in your area?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Porcupine has been out grooming more than they have been in past years and the trails where groomed are great. Greenwater Lake should be ashamed of themselves. It's my understanding that their grooming is funded by the government and most of their trails are in horrible condition. Alot of their trails aren't even cleaned off. Unfortunatly regardless of grooming if we don't get a good dump of snow soon all the trails close to home will be in bad shape.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Porcupine has been out grooming more than they have been in past years and the trails where groomed are great. Greenwater Lake should be ashamed of themselves. It's my understanding that their grooming is funded by the government and most of their trails are in horrible condition. Alot of their trails aren't even cleaned off. Unfortunatly regardless of grooming if we don't get a good dump of snow soon all the trails close to home will be in bad shape.[/b]
Yeah I rode at Greenwater a couple days over the holidays, swamps and fields were really good, but never went on the trails. Didn't make it onto any Porcupine trails either. I grew up there.....probably know you.

·
Registered
2 x 2021 900T's- 6737 KM
1,647 Posts
The amount of times our local clubs(Kelvington+Archerwill), groom is about the same as before in the trail permit days, except there is alot more money in the accounts for fuel+unexpected breakdowns...To bad we can't use the money to buy more SNOW!!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
The amount of times our local clubs(Kelvington+Archerwill), groom is about the same as before in the trail permit days, except there is alot more money in the accounts for fuel+unexpected breakdowns...To bad we can't use the money to buy more SNOW!!!![/b]
If we ever get enough snow to start grooming, our trails might not get done any more as well, but the money sure helped with the $13,000 track repair bill. What do you think snow might cost? LOL Erv

·
Registered
49 Posts
Porcupine has been out grooming more than they have been in past years and the trails where groomed are great. Greenwater Lake should be ashamed of themselves. It's my understanding that their grooming is funded by the government and most of their trails are in horrible condition. Alot of their trails aren't even cleaned off. Unfortunatly regardless of grooming if we don't get a good dump of snow soon all the trails close to home will be in bad shape.[/b]
I agree with you Piston Broke.I ride the Ducks and have for 22 years starting over at Childs in the beginning.That groomer at Madge is a joke(another government powered groomer).If the boy's from surrounding clubs ran there trails like that there would be NO snowmobiling in the area.Hat's off to the guy's that take care of Kamsack to canora to Stennen,Norqway,Pelly,Arron and on the Manitoba side--Benito,Swan,Child's lake,Roblin,Grandview.All these clubs run great trail systems and warm-up shack's.

·
Registered
227 Posts
did the trail get groomed from humboldt to naicam yet? i thought i saw a sign the otherday by PAMI building in humboldt where trail starts. Anyways whether or not its groomed spring is around the corner. With this being the worst year for snow a guy may as well pack it up for the year. I have 30 miles on my sled so far this year and there were sparks coming from skis most of the 30.

·
Registered
2 x 2021 900T's- 6737 KM
1,647 Posts
Trails are groomed from Naicam to Humboldt, and to watson...Limited snow down the highway ditch+north to Naicam...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey Renegade Scott, you don`t have to go very far to find great snow conditions. Was up to Wakaw Lake over Christmas, excellent snow conditions!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
lots of snow around spiritwood , new club started last year at the lake. lots of fund raising and hundreds of hours of trail maintenance and groomer repairs. new tracks,head gasket,rad,water pump,electrical,new paint job.all of it vollenteer work.hats off to all you club vollenteers like myself.finally the trails are groomed and in good condition and yes the money helps.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hey everyone, I just came across this thread and wanted to ask some of you guys some questions regarding combined registration/trail pass. First off, how is it working over there for you guys? Was/is there a lot of resistance to the idea? Is it strictly mandatory, no exceptions, or are there exemptions for say trappers, hunters, people in areas where no "officially maintained" trail system exist? I am not familiar with northern Saskatchewan, is it fairly sparely populated like Manitoba's North?

There have been a bunch of heated discussions on the Manitoba forum regarding mandatory trail passes with registration. A lot of us in remote northern areas which lack any real trail maintenance are against the idea. Our situation here is, years ago a bunch of people cut trails through the dense bush, people like trappers, fur traders, fishermen, hunters, then Hydro and mineral exploration, surveying, etc. For decades, locals would keep willows trimmed, deadfall cleared, trails dragged and hazards marked. Alot of these trails go to areas without any other access, as in no other way to get there, aside from bush plane. A number of years ago, a private individual purchased his own groomer and drag. There was a "snowmobile club" of sorts (friends and family) formed and they decided to groom all of these trails. They never asked those who originally cut those trails, or who had been maintaining them for years. Fast forward to today, our local club has since joined snoman, and membership fees went from $40 (local) to $115 (provincial).

Quite a few people were upset with the cost increase and stopped buying memberships. They continued to put up signs, clear trees and brush, pull drags, mark hazards, etc. Essentially, they keep the trail system open. The trails aren't as smooth as when the groomer is up and running and pushes down them, mind you, but the groomer is often down for repairs and doesn't get out much. The vast majority of people in the area that do ride, really don't care whether or not the trail is groomed. We get lots of snow up here (3-4 feet ground cover or more) and there are always well used, ungroomed trapper trails. People who are not members of the club do the majority of the trail maintenance. They do it because it's their trapline, or the path out to their hunting grounds, or they just enjoy getting out and going for a ride.

The arguments coming from the more populated areas of the province is that these people are "freeloaders" because they don't pay for provincial passes when they never ride on trails outside of our area. We've even brought up the fact that it's those individuals doing the work, and dollar bills don't pull drags or cut trees, people do.

How much were your trail passes prior to and after the integration? Are there any exemptions? Is there significantly more funds available to the snowmobile clubs, and how is that money distributed? Just this year, Snoman started sending out gps tracking devices to all of the clubs and are supposed to start distributing funds based on kms groomed.

Just curious on the situation in Sask. There are people saying that the cost will go down, others saying that it will rise significantly. Some people think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, and others have said that they will just stop registering their machines.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
From what I have read it seems the grooming clubs have been getting more money with the change in the system. The old trail pass rates were $65 ealrybird, and $95 after December 1, or something like that. The surcharge on registration is $40. It is a problem for the northern riders that do not have grooming clubs, but still have the potential for police enforcement of the Act requiring registration,and those who want to insure their sleds. I think that a lot of the trappers and isolated communities never did register their sleds, and there probably is not much desire to enforce the legislation in those situations. It is real nice for the clubs to not have to deal with selling and managing trail passes, but still a real piss off for others who want to be forced to pay for something they don't want, need, or can't get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts