Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS ANYBODY TRIED TRAIL GRABBERS OR OTHER SCREWS ON THERE SNO PRO TRACK..REALLY DONT WANT TO STUD...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put 192 1 inch screws from Bottom line traction products in my 2002 zr500le, just sold it with over 2000 miles checked the track and I did not lose one!!! These screws have a stud like tip on them not the carbide chips. they do not hook like studs however you can tell they are there they work great for icy corners, hills etc. Definetly know they are there for braking. Hope this helps. I will be putting them in my sno pro next week. Also they are very inexpensive, and can be installed in less than an hour.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Right now I am waiting to get my machine back from the dealer with some type of screw/ice picks....I didnt wanna go with studs either...juss lookin for alil bit of extra grip....I will inform you with how mine does once it returns and I get the time to go out and ride.... :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
read somewhere-supertrax or sled tech-that they are not recomended for sleds with over 100 h.p.-track paddle flexes and the point starts to poke through

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Klymaxx tire lug studs from Outer Limit Sports, are junk!!! I installed 144 and in 200 miles broke the head right off the screw shaft (which is still in the track)on 20 of them. Added more to lessen the load and they were still breaking. I also didn't hook-up with this usless stud. Now have 144 woodys in my F7 SP. Called Outer Limits Sports, and they didn't stand behind there product at all, so I am out the $260. Hope this helps -Ed

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Bergstrom skegs also make these, a little shop out of northern illinois, i called and talked to the owner personally, and he would'nt sell them to me for a f-7, he did not want to see me ruin my track,he said
too much horse power and f-7 are meant to be ridden aggresively!
he said they work better on low h.p. machines that cruise the trail and want just a little help for icy corners and stops!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Don't get them.

Spend the extra time and money and stud the track.

The trail grabbers, if you put them in the wrong place in your track will cause your tunnel to be damaged. You need to put a LOT more Trail grabbers in than studs and there's not much room for them, so you'll end up tearing them out.

As for performance, my friend had them for a while on one of his earlier Sno-Pro's for about a month and took them off. Reasons.

1. They don't offer enough hook up.
2. They don't offer enough stopping power.
3. They prevent some sliding, but aren't as good as studs . . . so why go half a__ to get inferior performance.

About the only thing the trail grabbers saved him from was one time a reduced power slide when he had gone into a turn to fast on an icy road. (temporary brain lock). He slid some with the trail grabbers and almost nudged a guy he was passing. But with studs he wouldn't have slid at all.

The F7's will slide sideways if you turn the ski's a bit and hit the break hard. This leaning slide turn technique works fairly well (on trails without opposing traffic) when you want to rail the turn a bit and use the brake to cause the sled to pivot and turn. If it can slide sideways with studs, imagine what kind of sliding it can do with trail grabbers. I think the F7 can do a powerslide with studs because it has a narrower track and you can't put studs in the outside of the track. That narrowness, makes it handle differently than a wider track with studs in the outer belts.

Because you can't put studs in the outside belt area, it will not bite as much when the rear end is being thrown around.

For these reasons, I would NOT USE track studs or trail grappers on a Firecat.

(Save the trail grabbers for your wifes 440 fan.)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Atomicat has it right! Do not put these in a firecat! I put 120 of them on my zl600 last year. With 1200 miles so far, I have lost maybe 25%. They will give you a safety factor on ice for braking on an icy corner or just being able to run across ice without spinning but they are nothing like real picks. My 600 will easily over power the screws on ice while my zl500 with 96 picks lifts the skis and leaves me like I'm standing still. I will be pulling them out and replacing them with real picks soon. I may save them for my wifes next sled.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts