Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21,427 Posts
This is a major blow to a good route. Any word on what drove the new owners to this decision?
They don’t give a rat’s ass about snowmobiling as it has zero impact on their business. I also think this is the same company that is now behind mt Bohemia and fucked over the bear belly because they were selling mt Bohemia shirt since the beginning of time

·
Registered
'22 VR1 650 129", '16 ProS 800
607 Posts
Snowmobilers do stop. I have eaten or had a drink at the ski resort several times. Usually during the week but was usually pretty quiet. I always wondered how they stayed open.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I know Steve Hamilton personally. He is very well spoken, knowledge in all the laws, honest, all around good dude. He has made great strides in the GRTA both for summer and winter recreation. He seriously works his butt off for the club and community.
Unfortunately the new owners don't give a rats ass about us snowmobilers. A similar situation happened at Mount Bohemia last year near Houghton. These people don't like us, plain and simple! It happens all over the place.
They can get government grant money for paved bicycle trails and we have to go to great lengths to preserve trails that are almost 100% funded by the users pass and registration dollars.
I wish Steve and the rest of the club the best of luck in finding a resolution. I know they will work tirelessly at maintaining or finding an alternative route.
This is a good reminder to send in your dues and help keep these clubs alive and ultimately our sport.
We spend 15k on new machines. There should be no excuses why every rider is not a club member somewhere!
This entire post is very well said. I plan to send some membership checks in soon.

My uncle recently retired from MDOT and we were once talking about a bike path that was constructed in an area that made zero sense to me. He said there is a MI law that requires a certain amount of walking/bike paths constructed for every mile of road that's built. He didn't know all the details as it wasn't something we worked with daily. Essentially though, the paths are factored into the state budget. If we were smart, we'd figure out how to get a similar law passed for powersports trails. These are also multiuse: sled/atv/utv/walking/bike/horse/vehicle, etc.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,304 Posts
I am a member of the I&M Trailblazers in Illinois, and the Sayner Barnstormers of Sayner, WI. My membership dues are not a significant income source for the club, but when you have a large club it adds up. It's also all done by volunteers. A lot of people take it for granted until a trail gets closed. The tree huggers out number is 5:1 probably and they have more pull downstate. Organized active snowmobile clubs are paramount to our sustainability as a sport. It's just so hard to get people involved. A simple $40 membership helps tremendously!

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
This makes no sense.Indianhead advertises 14 miles of sxs trails on their website.They dont think this might piss off the people that stay there in the summer with sxs and are also snowmobilers?I see there are also a bunch of motorcycle events held there during the summer.
If these summertime users could somehow show some interest in this situation it might help change the owners mind about finding a way to run the trail through their property.
I have to believe that a fair amount of people that use the orv park and go to motorcycle events there are also snowmobilers.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
1,059 Posts
Maybe the local club could get permission to set up some informational signage nearby during these events raising the issue. As others have said, I’m sure the SXS and Cycle people wouldn’t be too keen on how the sledders are being treated and will take their money elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,304 Posts
Nope, I definitely won't now. That trail reroute years ago through the ski resort accomplished it's job, but was not fun to ride. Lots of pavement and in the woods was mostly down to the dirt. Hopefully this helps establish a new permanent route that works better for snowmobiles.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
My thoughts are that the owner is trying to leverage the trail closure for some type of deal with the local governmental agencies If the tourism dollars in the area begin the shrink a deal will be struck. When it becomes a benefit to the landowner the trail will reopen.

Don~

21 - 32 of 32 Posts