Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on a trail report, that the trail going between baraga and chassell is closed. Is that because of low snow or is it closed? I was planning to ride out of Baraga next Saturday, maybe I won't be going the way I planned.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I saw on a trail report, that the trail going between baraga and chassell is closed. Is that because of low snow or is it closed? I was planning to ride out of Baraga next Saturday, maybe I won't be going the way I planned.[/b]

I think you are referring to the section from Chassell to Houghton or whatever. I guess they still don't have right of way privilages etc.
So I was told when I almost went there over Christmas that you can either make it on Secondary roads just fine, or if the lake is frozen you zip across.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I think you are referring to the section from Chassell to Houghton or whatever. I guess they still don't have right of way privilages etc.
So I was told when I almost went there over Christmas that you can either make it on Secondary roads just fine, or if the lake is frozen you zip across.[/b]

I thought the court had ruled in favor of the DNR to open that section up....what's the hold-up? Piss on those idiots that think because their property butts up to it that they can close it! It's a damn state trail paid for by all and should be open. The DNR needs to go in and knock down any barricades and get that section up and going now. These people that bitch and whine about the noise, etc are full of shit....what did these idiots do when the trains were rolling thru there? They put up with it and that's what they should do with the trail. Hey, no one put a gun to their head to buy the property, so it should be known and accepted that minor nuissance may come with ownership of said property.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I found.

Baraga:
Baraga to Chassell - #15 North: Closed
Baraga to Sidnaw - #15 to #8/15 to #109 to #8/15: 4-8" snow base. Fair to good condition. There is a re-route on this trail so follow the marked groomed trail.
Baraga to Nestoria – #15 to #8: 4-8" base. Fair to good condition. Groomer made it to the Cozy Inn - past there is still low on snow and there is water on the trail we need some colder temps so we can groom the whole trail. Can get thru with snowmobile.
Baraga to Alston – #159 to #8/15 to #109: 4-8" base. Fair to good condition. We groomed the whole trail. Still some water but passable. Stay on trail.
Baraga to Andersons Corner - #14: 4-18" base. Fair to good condition. Plenty of snow to ride in the woods.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Trust me, you don't want to ride that trail. I rode it last year and it sucked. The way I was told is that it was open, just not being groomed, so you can ride it but it's rough as heck. Except that the signs are next to impossible to find... it's not worth it, it will be faster for you to go around. When you get into Chassel the trail just stops and it's a pain to find everything.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
So say a guy was coming from Big Bay and wanting to go to Hancock / Houghton. What would be the fastest way and not have to fight small, crap trails ??

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
That's what I was thinking but it sure seems like the long way around. I rode that section of 109 two years ago and encountered a terrible section that was through the woods somehere. Very narrow, ungroomable and miserable for quite a few miles. I think it was some kind of re-direct, I;m not sure. I wonder if anybody has traveled 109 lately ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I saw on a trail report, that the trail going between baraga and chassell is closed. Is that because of low snow or is it closed? I was planning to ride out of Baraga next Saturday, maybe I won't be going the way I planned.[/b]
Is anyone riding the ice north from Chassell yet?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I thought the court had ruled in favor of the DNR to open that section up....what's the hold-up? Piss on those idiots that think because their property butts up to it that they can close it! It's a damn state trail paid for by all and should be open. The DNR needs to go in and knock down any barricades and get that section up and going now. These people that bitch and whine about the noise, etc are full of shit....what did these idiots do when the trains were rolling thru there? They put up with it and that's what they should do with the trail. Hey, no one put a gun to their head to buy the property, so it should be known and accepted that minor nuissance may come with ownership of said property.[/b]
T-Bone...I think that you are thinking of the Cheboygan trail.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Plenty of ice to ride the lake to get from chassel to houghton, no problem![/b]
How far on the ice do you have to ride and does it take you way out in the lake or is it mostly following the shoreline ?

Is there a lot of tracks, guys been running it regular already ?

Walt ( I'm not much for lake crossings )

·
Registered
322 Posts
How far on the ice do you have to ride and does it take you way out in the lake or is it mostly following the shoreline ?

Is there a lot of tracks, guys been running it regular already ?

Walt ( I'm not much for lake crossings )[/b]
WEll i will be heading home to houghton tomorow i willl check how much they have been riding it but last time i looked there was tracks and yes you can stay near the shore if u want to .

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
T-Bone...I think that you are thinking of the Cheboygan trail.[/b]
No Matt, this one had a similar situation. A property owner put up a barrier or fence across the trail to discourage it's use. The DNR sued and won, at least I thought they did, but yet this continues to get dragged out. I understand why property owners get pissed off when idiots blast by at late hours and/or trespass, etc. but when you have property that used to be adjacent to a RR grade what did they do about it when a train passed at 4am. I can damn well bet that they didn't build a fence across the tracks. When people buy homes next to trails, that's the offset to it....there may be some noise. Just another group of people that don't like snowmobilers. My response to them is FUCK YOU.....I pay taxes just like them and that's a state owned trail and I have a right to ride it if I want. If they don't like it then maybe they should move.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Trail 15 is still closed for another 2 weeks due to logging in the area.......The lake from Chassell to Houghton is good to go.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Trail 15 is still closed for another 2 weeks due to logging in the area.......The lake from Chassell to Houghton is good to go.[/b]
So how do you get from Baraga to Chassell ??

·
Registered
916 Posts
So how do you get from Baraga to Chassell ??[/b]
Walt,

The only way from Big Bay to Houghton is trial 14 to Baraga (a beautiful trail, but gets thin toward Baraga), to 15, to 109, unless you ride the lake. We rode 109 on Sunday from Copper Harbor, back to our truck in Three Lakes. From Twin Lakes it was freshly groomed, but when you get to the swamp it's to soft to get the groomer through. Heading North to Twin Lakes you can take Laird Rd, theres a jog eastward @ M-38 and jump on Laird Heights Road to pick up the trail, north of Alston. This will get you clear of all the bumps, but you will have to ride the ditches of M-38. I think you can go north on the road from the Bar in Alston, and head east to pick up Laird Heights road.

Check out the map from Fishweb.

Let me know if you need more detailed info.

Hud

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thank you Hud,

I'm going to enter that route you suggested in my GPS.

Walt

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thank you Hud,

I'm going to enter that route you suggested in my GPS.

Walt[/b]
This is what i wonder, why do u guys always stay in Baraga, they dont have as much snow, and it is a huge hassel to go from there, i mean after you have drove 10 hours you might as well drive the last 20 minutes to stay in houghton, which is much easier to deal with, you can go north to Copper Harbor or south to Twin Lakes, Ontanogan, anywhere that way. I am not trying to advertise, but i always see ppl on here asking about that trail, and then bitchin(not saying you in particular) when they find out the trail from Baraga To chassell is closed. I dont know makes more sense to me to go to HOughton and ride from there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts