Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have the chance to trade my XCSP 700 for a Fusion 900. I know that it takes a bit of tweaking and tinkering to get the Fusions working right... and I've seen first hand what a good working Fusion can do..
First of all both machines are 2005's, both have roughly the same mileage 4500 miles and both in close to mint shape. Fusion has all updates done except for 3 and the dealer has the parts in stock to do them. I'm happy with the XC and I know that it's a bullet proof sled but I'm a big guy and looking for big torque and better than 8.6 miles a gallon. Any opinions on what I should do? I really want to get into a CFI sled and in the IQ chassis.
Oh and this will be a straight trade between the two... my dealer is also my very good friend and he knows that I like to tinker so he took it in on trade from an older gentlemen who had trouble pulling it over in the low temps and planned on trading that to me. I also should add that this has been a completely trouble free Fusion for all 4500 miles except for a couple belts.
I already have the 719 helix in my XC which I will take out and I have various gears and springs already aswell... Can anyone give a good clutch and gearing setup that will work for a 6 foot 340 pounder?

Thanks guys.
JD.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If it were me personally I would trade for the fusion. But it depends on what you want. If it is a trouble free fuse they are a sweet sled. the suspension alone is worth it. I have about 600-700 wrapped up in aftermarket stuff to make it right and love it. But then again there are alot of guys who are on the other side of the fence about this sled as well. If you had the money buy the fuse at a good deal and keep the 700 I would do that. Ride them both and then decide which one to sell. If you can get the fuse cheap, you can always resell it on ebay and make alittle cash if you dont like it. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I had a 2005 fusion, did all the tinkering and put on a HTG pipe, geared etc. etc. One of my favorite sled I have owned, sort of wish I kept it. Take the trade, and don't listen to the people that talk sh*t. they do so because they never got on the sled and rode it. Good luck, You will love the sled in the trails!!!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Well I have the chance to trade my XCSP 700 for a Fusion 900. I know that it takes a bit of tweaking and tinkering to get the Fusions working right... and I've seen first hand what a good working Fusion can do..
First of all both machines are 2005's, both have roughly the same mileage 4500 miles and both in close to mint shape. Fusion has all updates done except for 3 and the dealer has the parts in stock to do them. I'm happy with the XC and I know that it's a bullet proof sled but I'm a big guy and looking for big torque and better than 8.6 miles a gallon. Any opinions on what I should do? I really want to get into a CFI sled and in the IQ chassis.
Oh and this will be a straight trade between the two... my dealer is also my very good friend and he knows that I like to tinker so he took it in on trade from an older gentlemen who had trouble pulling it over in the low temps and planned on trading that to me. I also should add that this has been a completely trouble free Fusion for all 4500 miles except for a couple belts.
I already have the 719 helix in my XC which I will take out and I have various gears and springs already aswell... Can anyone give a good clutch and gearing setup that will work for a 6 foot 340 pounder?

Thanks guys.
JD.[/b]
I'm 350+lbs, 6'3"/ I smoke my 185lb friends on their 800 revs.
Front suspension alone is worth the trade. If the machine hasn't been beat on.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I snow checked a 06 700 (755) fusion it road really nice, suspension was great, but the machine was heavy in deep powder, and that engine which is the same as the 900 vibrated so bad at idle that the weather stripping was wearing off the hood with only 500 miles on it, I couldn't even take my son for a ride on it because it vibrated so bad at low speeds your hands would almost go numb, the only other reason I would keep the edge would be because of all the negative stuff about the fusion, you could have a hard time finding someone to buy it later, let along get a decent price for it. I traded mine in last year for a 700 dragon

·
Registered
478 Posts
LOL Looks like I'm in the minority here and apparently talking shit but I would stay with the 700. A 05 Fusion with 4500 trouble free miles is due to start having them. IMO you would be able to sell the 700 privately or trade it in for more value than the Fusion in the future. Actually, I'm sure your dealer would absolutely LOVE you to trade your 700 Edge even up for an 05 Fusion. Moving your 700 will be much easier for him.
Oh well, you're already talking setups for the Fusion, so you have probably made up your mind to do the deal. Good luck.

And yes, I owned a 05 Fusion.

Bull

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
As long as you dont mind the vibration, I think it would be a good idea to trade up to the Fusion. The easy starting and consistent running quality of EFI as well as the superior suspension geometry of a-arms would be reason enough for me to upgrade.
I also agree to not listen to people who badmouth the Fusion. IMO, much of the problems with those sleds could be traced back to either the sled being poorly setup or operator abuse. Of all the people who had issues with breaking motor mounts and blowing belts, how many of those people's sleds were heavily studded? How many of those people frequently jumped their sleds and often were on the gas when they landed?

·
Registered
281 Posts

Thanks guys.
JD.[/b]
I would trade it for the 900 and for clutching I would recommend a not using the 719 helix but instead call team and get them to cut you a 66-46-46 single trax helix because the twin trax have some issues about backing up when you are a bigger person use a red pink spring then run 76 gram weights in the frount clutch I think its a black/white this set up will give you about a 4100 clutch engagement and keep your belt and clutches cooler because of the weight I know because i am 350+ with gear and helmet this set up rocks at 40mph I can pull the skies and so far I have not been beat across the lake :m2c: :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
336 Posts
The mileage scares me a bit but maybe a new topend since you can tinker would be in order. If the fusion is 100% stock you will have to factor in heavier springs, new skis to make it turn and get rid of the stock airbox. And of course some clutching. Mine does not vib nearly as bad as my buddies stock sled but its gonna take some coin and tinkering to make you happy with this swap. Go for it and drive it into the ground without worrying about resale.

·
Registered
746 Posts
LOL Looks like I'm in the minority here and apparently talking shit but I would stay with the 700. A 05 Fusion with 4500 trouble free miles is due to start having them. IMO you would be able to sell the 700 privately or trade it in for more value than the Fusion in the future. Actually, I'm sure your dealer would absolutely LOVE you to trade your 700 Edge even up for an 05 Fusion. Moving your 700 will be much easier for him.
Oh well, you're already talking setups for the Fusion, so you have probably made up your mind to do the deal. Good luck.

Bull[/b]
Definitely in the minority, but I couldn't agree with you more.

My '05 Fusion ran pretty good when it was new, but as the miles built up I got tired of the annual torque stop replacement. I know they're cheap, but it's a symptom of more trouble brewing in the entire motor mount system (yes I had the SLP push and torque arms which are at best a band aid). Even ignoring that, you just cannot ignore the sleds bad reputation (deserved or not) that absolutely kills resale value on them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Theres alot of Fusion 900s on EBay right now, they are plentiful and cheap. Both New and Used. I absolutely cannot argue about the improved ride, I traded and 02 and 05 Edge in for a pair of 600HOs, theres just no comparison.

The Fusion has its issues but, theres alot of potential available with some work, both in power and handling. The edge is chassis technology from 2000 and it really is old school stuff. I had four Edges, do not miss them at all.

You sound like a guy whos not afraid to work on his sled and you have a buddy whos a dealer, IMO you should go for it.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Well I have the chance to trade my XC SP 700 for a Fusion 900. I know that it takes a bit of tweaking and tinkering to get the Fusions working right... and I've seen first hand what a good working Fusion can do..
I already have the 719 helix in my XC which I will take out and I have various gears and springs already as well... Can anyone give a good clutch and gearing setup that will work for a 6 foot 340 pounder?

Thanks guys.
JD.[/b]

My opinion would be to buy it and not do a trade, if you can.

With the lower than regular resale that these sleds have, I too have thought about looking into getting one, but I love a tough challenge and also love to tinker with my sleds.

In my opinion, the two sleds while they are the same year and have around the same millage do not have the same value. Your 05 700 is worth much more in resale value than the 900 will ever be worth.

Thats the price you pay when the factory drops a sled with problems after only a few years.

Can the 900's be made to run right? Sure they can, but you'll never get what they are really worth on the open market, so you need to keep that in mind when you buy it, you just might end up owning it for a long time!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
This coming from a guy who rides an overweight rice grinder.[/b]
Your kidding me right? someone who owns THE biggest P.O.S. ever made should not be throwing stones, how much dose that fusion weigh anyways?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

Bull[/b]
I'm with this guy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I currently own both of these sleds (my Fusion is a 600 not a 900) and it is a matter of personal opinion which is better.
If you ride a lot of tight trails I like the XC better.
My Fusion has more power and is more comfortable, does not handle as well in the corners.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I currently own both of these sleds (my Fusion is a 600 not a 900) and it is a matter of personal opinion which is better.
If you ride a lot of tight trails I like the XC better.
My Fusion has more power and is more comfortable, does not handle as well in the corners.[/b]
The 900 is a completly different animal than a 600 fusion. I would take a 600 over a 900 any day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts