Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a used track (with all new clips), new bearings, new slides and another set of rails on my 96 Ultra. I have the track adjustment at the rear wheels as loose as it will go, but the track is still tight enough that I can't turn it by hand. I took it for a ride around the yard and I could hear the new clips slapping against the ends of the new slides.
Is it ok to ride it with the track tight enough that I can't turn it by hand? Not sure what to do about it...any other way i can adjust it to be looser other than those rear adjustment bolts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thinking......I left the ends of the slides so they were square. I did the same thing last time I replaced them and put a used track on with no problems...of course I could spin that track by hand.

Did you cut the end of the Slides on an angle or did you leave it square??[/b]

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It's so tight with the adjusters backed all the way out that you cant turn the track?
Sounds like you bought the wrong size track,,or,,
So,,you loosened the adjusters off,,,did you also loosen off the axle?
Yes the hyfax might need trimming ,,but not by 5-6 inches

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
A too tight track will hurt fuel mileage, overheat and wear the slides and kill your top end. It's the same effect as driving with the brake partially on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's so tight with the adjusters backed all the way out that you cant turn the track?
Sounds like you bought the wrong size track,,or,,
So,,you loosened the adjusters off,,,did you also loosen off the axle?
Yes the hyfax might need trimming ,,but not by 5-6 inches[/b]
The axle is now hard against the beginning of the adjustment slot and I still can't turn it. When I received the track I looked up the polaris part number on it (also says camoplast) and it was the part number for some polaris's around the 92-95...can't remember which one. It was 121x15x0.875 but all the clips were almost worn through, so I had to replace all of them. It did have some miles on it b/c the lugs were really only 0.75" tall. I'll see if I can find the part no. again.....
Would cutting some of the hyfax off also make the track looser? I did cut them a bit longer than I did the last set with the old track.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The axle is now hard against the beginning of the adjustment slot and I still can't turn it. When I received the track I looked up the polaris part number on it (also says camoplast) and it was the part number for some polaris's around the 92-95...can't remember which one. It was 121x15x0.875 but all the clips were almost worn through, so I had to replace all of them. It did have some miles on it b/c the lugs were really only 0.75" tall. I'll see if I can find the part no. again.....
Would cutting some of the hyfax off also make the track looser? I did cut them a bit longer than I did the last set with the old track.[/b]

Well you tell me,,how far is the hyfax sticking out past the end of the rail?,,surely not half a foot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just took a better look after riding it a bit. With the adjuster all the way out, I think the slides a tad too long. I can see where the clips are catching/rubbing the back edge of the slides. The clips are also slightly rubbing the top corner of the rails. It looks like the windows are just catching on the edge of the slides so I can't rotate the track past that.

How long should the slides be in the back? Should I cut them off just before the wheels?

Took some pics with my phone, so they aren't too good. The first pic is the top/back corner of the rails. The second is the back edge of the slides. Thanks for the help!!!!
[attachment=405656:IMAGE_034.jpg]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just cut off about an inch of the slide and put an angle on the back of the slide. Works perfect now. The track is still tighter than the rest of the tracks I've had, but I was able to get it loose enough to turn by hand and not rub the back of the rails.
THANKS GUYS!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts