Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you that have snopros find that the track is noisy, esp. in deep wet snow? If I take my sled on a groomed trail the is not much noise and it spins smoothly, but if I go off and break trail in some powder, this was wet heavy snow I get alot of noise and some vibration through the tunnel. I check my track daily and it is aligned and there isn't any rubbing on the tunnel. Is this normal for the Snopro sleds??? Or do I have a problem???

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I also noticed the noise in similar conditions,everything is good underneath,The problem is most likely the lack of clearance between track and tunnel,both in front and on the sides,not the greatest combo for evacuating the snow from in the tunnel,and the wet snow would pack up much easier than while on hard pack?!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I wrote a big long story regarding tracks, lugs and break in,,, but my computer decided to lose it,,, so too bad. Check in tomorrow.
Use the force

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I see this subject has been brought up three times in the last month or so. I just pulled my skid out to check things over after my 430 mile trip up north, and to see what, if any, damage was done after riding a day and a half with the large rear axle nut missing. It doesn't LOOK like anything got hurt, but my track alignment somehow got WAY off and the track loosened up big time. The nut is there for a reason... keep an eye on it and check it often.

Anyway, after a very close inspection of the skid and track, I'm pretty sure what is most likely making the track noises people are hearing. If it's NOT the track clips hitting the front of the rails -- and I don't think that's it -- then what I think it is, is the inside of the track hitting against the "track slap guides" that are welded near the top of the front torque arm shafts. It looks like -- and we confirmed this -- that the track not only slaps on these things, but is most likely always riding on them, as if they were idler wheels!!! After only 600 miles on my std F7, those guides are already worn down about 1/16". On MOST sleds, when the track is being driven/pulled by the drive sprockets, I believe the track is usually taut and pulled up and away from the guides, but on the Fire Cats, it looks like the track rides right on these things. This would most certainly cause the track noise, especially any described howling, that people are hearing. Is this a bad thing... I dunno', but I'm for sure going to be keeping an eye on those guides, and the integrity of my outter track belts. -- Roy

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
does anyone think that it's noisy (or more noticeable) because the engine is quieter, with the intake and exhaust on the front side instead of the rear?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yes likkerpig, that is a good point too, especially recalling how loud most Cats have been until just the last few years! -- Roy

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have a 1" track with studs and have noticed the same thing.While at the dealer for updates I asked him about it and he said that my track was on the tight side and that once it got broke in it would get better. He drove a snopro all last year and that was what he saw. Snowhunter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts