Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone been able to find a way to quite this noise on F models when traveling under 40mph. I have tried several sleds and have run loose, correct, and tight track tension and nothing appears to make a difference. When I get on my Zr800 this noise is not noticable...Short trips on the F7, no problem, long trips, this is very tiring, it wears at you....I havn't seen much discussion on this topic but I know they all do it, however some may be worse than others...I would be greatful on any comment that would give me an idea to why this is...

:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Do you have a SnoPro model? I have a F5 SnoPro and the only noise or vibration I notice is from the deep lug track and I knew it would be before I bought it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a F-5 sabercat and mine does this real bad on cold days. Found out by looking under it that ice is building up by track where it passes over drive shaft. also by front heat exchanger. Today I did some clutch testing on arrowhead lake milton, vermont @ 30 degs 3" of snow secondary spring in hole #2 one thin shim out. 100 mph @ 8240 rpms. spring in hole #3 (stock positon) 97 mph @ 8300 rpms. <_<

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Studs, No Ice, 1" Track... All three that I have tried do it right out of the garage...hot or cold...

Thanks for your questions and concerns...Many times this is how we figure things out...

·
Registered
23 Posts
:huh: I HAVE 2000 MI NOW ALL UPDATES EXCEPT SNOW FLAP.
JUST GOT BACK FROM QUEBEC 600+ MI. MY TWO ZR BUDS NOTICED
THE TRACK NOISE ??? RIGHT AWAY WHEN THEY RODE MY F7 STD.
OIL BEFORE ADJ 90-1 NOW 53-1 GAS MILAGE 12.5--15 MPG
LOVE MY POWDER PRO SKIS 6" CARBIDE
THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I guess you validated my point....Doesn't that noise wear at you after a long day....The Zr's are smooth compare to my Fireball. I still like it, but would like less noise also...

·
Registered
308 Posts
The noise you are hearing on the firecats is the track coming around and making contact with the front arm of the rear suspension. right above where the bolt goes through to hold the front of your suspension in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info..

Does that mean there is something wrong??

Is there a fix??

Won't it wear through the track???

Thanks again, much apprecaited...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I think Finner's got it. The track DOES indeed ride right on top or the front arm "loops" -- even when the track is pulled taut by the front drivers when accelerating. -- Roy

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by Roy T@Feb 24 2003, 01:11 AM
I think Finner's got it. The track DOES indeed ride right on top or the front arm "loops" -- even when the track is pulled taut by the front drivers when accelerating. -- Roy
I agree Roy, but I think ice build up is also causing it. I started a 50 mile run with hardly no noise, and it was vibrating pretty bad when I got back. VERY cold conditions. Thawed it out and ran the track...all OK. IMO there isn't much room for the snow and ice to escape because of the tight track/ tunnel clearance. I think this is causing more ice build up than we're accustomed to. No scientific evidence...just my thoughts. :)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yep, I agree with that too Wicked King. There is some noise/howl with no snow or ice built up in the suspension, but yes it can and does get quite a bit noiser when the snow and ice starts to build up under there, especially in colder temps, and especially when you don't have a chance to thaw things out! -- Roy

·
Registered
147 Posts
I notice the noise more while in deep snow than on the trail - my son drove my F5 snopro last week and was saying the same thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In addition to the front A-arm, the track lugs are also hitting on the underside of the tunnel. With the skidframe out of the sled its easier to notice the thick black rubber left on the tunnel (towards the front of the sled). The noise is prabably worse with the sno-pro due to the deep lugs. I keep up on the track tension but it still happens. I'm not worried, its just that it can get into an annoying rythem at lower speeds.

R

·
0 Posts
RUSTYO. 3000M ON RED PAT. 7 BAD VIBRATION DRIVE SHAFT BENT THEY SAY NOW ON BACK ORDER, HOPING TO RIDE BY THE WEEKEND.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2 cents worth. My F7 standard with a big lug track has howled and vibrated from the first mile. Dealer can't figuire it out, and neither can I. Drives you nuts from 15 TO 40 mph. :angry:
And vibration coming through the bars, i am assuming it is that big 700 doing its stuff. :)
Took me a while to fix the ice problem on the running boards. Had to do all the fixes, take seat off and put weather stripping around edge, resealed the heat exchanger , put J-B weld on the holes at the bend of the tunnel, and took rear bumper off and put some weather stripping on tunnel and put the bumper back on over top. and put some silicon around the outer edges. There was enough ice biuld up before i did this to sink the titanic. And Cat didnt know before production??? <_<
oil 75 to 1 before i adjusted pump,(and had a look at the pistolians) when i fill tomorrow i will know the after #.
Told my dealer that it was not using much oil from day one. Gave me a blank look. <_<
AND NOBODY UNDER 900 CC HAS BEAT ME YET.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My F7 had no noise until 500 miles - now noise is very annoying. My F5 had no noise with first track with 100 miles. Updates done on rear skid and 2nd track put on. Now has had noise for last 500 miles. Total sled miles = 600.

R

·
0 Posts
rustyo.back from the dealer one bent drive shaft and third bearing on the chain side.Ready for north ONT on the 6th.If your shaft goes have the dealer order the drive shaft parts seperate or they probally will be back ordered.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Originally posted by rustyo@Feb 27 2003, 12:48 PM
rustyo.back from the dealer one bent drive shaft and third bearing on the chain side.Ready for north ONT on the 6th.If your shaft goes have the dealer order the drive shaft parts seperate or they probally will be back ordered.
Where in north Ont? Just curious as I live up here in the sticks :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts