Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has zl 400 (99). It has 96 studs on it and I believe 4 inch carbides. My poblem is that when she rides the sled even on groomed hard trails the back fish tails side to side. Is this due to too much ski pressure and not enough track presure, or skis out of alignment. I'll try anything. Please help.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would check both. 1 1/8-1 1/4" toe out on ski alignment. Check the front spring on the rear suspension. It should be loosened as much as you can without it rattling. Then screw down the tension on the a-arms until the sled handles the way you desire. If you can't get all the darting out this way, go to a Skidoo dealer and get a set of easysteers to put on the bottom of your skis. I know, I said the 'doo' word but they really are the best I have found. They are about $20 and they have two styles, one to fit metal skis and one to fit AC plastic skis. I automatically put them on my trail sleds and they really make a huge difference in darting. Trust me, your wife will love you for it. :wub: ;)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My bro-in-laws SX700 fishtailed on groomed trails as you discribe even with 144 studs. The sled had previouely been riden in a sno-x race and I found that the skid springs were cranked down very tight. Upon loosening up both the front and rear skid springs (I didn't have the correct Yamy spec's) the sled behaves better and he is much more comfortable and he's riding faster as a result. He rode brutally slow before. Now he can almost stay with me. ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looked over the sled today and found that the ski alignment was 1 3/4 toe out. Corrected that to the 1/4 range. Hope this should help significantly. I also noticed that the rear shock feels very spungy. Add a little pressure and the tunnels sinks right down to a firm spot then there is about 6 inches of travle left. Does this sound like a bad rear shock?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Shocks control motion. Springs support the weight.
The rear springs could be baffed after 4 years. They're not famous for there longentivity and are reasonably inexpensive to replace.
ZL's don't have rebuildable shocks so a replacement my be in order. You haven't disclosed the mileage on the machine but these are items which do need attention every couple of seasons at the very least.
Good Luck!

B

·
0 Posts
My wife's Z570 had a similar problem last year. I basically loosened the ski springs, (1 turn/revolution at a time) and loosened the front limiter strap 1 turn at a time until the handling became acceptable to her. These adjustments are sensitive so make them slowly, she now loves how her machine handles. Now she wants an EFI..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mileage is roughly 2800. The rear shock was replaced by a fox shock by the previous owner. I will look into the springs.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You should consider having the Fox serviced while the skid is out to have the springs changed. Then you'll know everything back there is 100%.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
how far are the limiter straps pulled up back them off if they are real tight then the track will stay on the ground more instead of just the rear of the skid providing traction

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the limiter straps rouhly 1/4 to 1/2 inch thread showing. If my wife cont to complain I will back them off more

·
Registered
198 Posts
Checking all the adjustments will certainly help the situation but with the stock skis it is almost impossible to get rid of all the darting. Put on those skidoo forks and you will have one happy wife. Remember, HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE!! B)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spudac,

I went to the skidoo shop for those forks. One dealer told me that there were 5 different kinds for plastic skis. He only showed me two, one skinny one and one that was wider. The numbers on the package didn't match the numbers in the catalog for the palstic skis. I called a different dealer and they were ordering the ones for the plastic skis. Question is have you run into this problem? Also what have you used to mount the forks to the skis with. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts