Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing around with joining all my tracks using mapsource, I have seem to hit a snag with my tracks and can't get any more to join without having a line go across my tracks, is there any software out there that is easier to use?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I have been playing around with joining all my tracks using mapsource, I have seem to hit a snag with my tracks and can't get any more to join without having a line go across my tracks, is there any software out there that is easier to use?[/b]
Any other software would do the same...when you join the end of one track to the beginning of another there will be a line....in some cases there are tricks you can do in editing to avoid long cross-screen lines.

Attach your .gdb file of tracks and I'll see what I can do with it. If it is not possible to do a clean job of joining more of your tracks I'll make you a map.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Open up the track properties for 1 of the tracks you're trying to join. Click on "invert track". That will rid you of the straight line from the "far" end of 1 of the tracks. That way you'll just have a short line between the closest end points of the 2 tracks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other software would do the same...when you join the end of one track to the beginning of another there will be a line....in some cases there are tricks you can do in editing to avoid long cross-screen lines.

Attach your .gdb file of tracks and I'll see what I can do with it. If it is not possible to do a clean job of joining more of your tracks I'll make you a map.[/b]
Let me find which track I was having problems with and I will attach it, thanks.

Open up the track properties for 1 of the tracks you're trying to join. Click on "invert track". That will rid you of the straight line from the "far" end of 1 of the tracks. That way you'll just have a short line between the closest end points of the 2 tracks.[/b]
I will have to try that out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am trying to join track 1 with the master track, maybe I am doing something wrong, but so far I have been able to join a ton of tracks. I have had a similar issue with another track doing the same thing, just can't seem to find that track right now.

Or this set were I am trying to join tracks 1 and 4 to the master.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I am trying to join track 1 with the master track, maybe I am doing something wrong, but so far I have been able to join a ton of tracks. I have had a similar issue with another track doing the same thing, just can't seem to find that track right now.[/b]
Here you go...

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Thanks alot, mind telling me what I was doing wrong, or maybe what I wasn't doing? LOL[/b]
use the Track Divide Tool to split the main track at the point of track 1
use the Track Join Tool to join one leg of the split main track to track 1
from the end of the now joined track 1 use the Track Draw Tool to trace back to the split on main track
use the Track Join Tool to join the two legs together again
do the same with track 4

tip: to use a track with as many points as you have in this track (4178 points) I would rename the file to ACTIVE LOG so that it uploads into your GPSr's Active Track storage area with all 4178 points...if you upload it to the Saved Track area you would have to filter it down to 500 (or whatever your particular Garmin units limit is) points loosing a lot of points. Or better yet make a map of the track.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
use the Track Divide Tool to split the main track at the point of track 1
use the Track Join Tool to join one leg of the split main track to track 1
from the end of the now joined track 1 use the Track Draw Tool to trace back to the split on main track
use the Track Join Tool to join the two legs together again
do the same with track 4
tip: to use a track with as many points as you have in this track (4178 points) I would rename the file to ACTIVE LOG so that it uploads into your GPSr's Active Track storage area with all 4178 points...if you upload it to the Saved Track area you would have to filter it down to 500 (or whatever your particular Garmin units limit is) points loosing a lot of points. Or better yet make a map of the track.[/b]
Again, thanks alot, you made life a little easier. I am planning on making a master track file then make a transparent map, I already made a test transparent map of some of the tracks and it worked good.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have alot of tracks for Quebec. Can only put 20 on at a time on my Garmin map 76C. Would a transparent map work better and how do you make one?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have alot of tracks for Quebec. Can only put 20 on at a time on my Garmin map 76C. Would a transparent map work better and how do you make one?[/b]
I have a guide for doing it: http://gpssledmaps.com/guide/quick_map.php .

Or you could upload your track files to my site and I'll start a Quebec map and make it available for others to download. You mentioned before that you have some NY tracks too. I've got a pretty extensive NY map almost ready to go so if you could upload those as well, that would be great.

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I have alot of tracks for Quebec. Can only put 20 on at a time on my Garmin map 76C. Would a transparent map work better and how do you make one?[/b]
I created a how-to video (plays in Windows Media Player) with step by step text instructions that shows how to make a transparent map from tracks that installs into Mapsource. Video Tutorial

Upload more than 20 tracks:
try combining some of your tracks with the Track Editing Tools in Mapsource...

or try this:

you can load the 20 tracks with 500 points each in the Saved Track space...

plus you have 10,000 points that can be used in the Active Track so you have the option of loading another 20 tracks with 500 points each...or 10 with 1000 points or however you want to filter your track points down to...you need to turn tracking off in this situation as the Active Track is now full and you don't want to overwrite...here's how you do it...rename the 20 tracks or whatever number you have to ACTIVE LOG 1...ACTIVE LOG 2...ACTIVE LOG 3 etc...this will force the tracks to load in your Active Track space..

if you want to be recording tracks you'll have to leave some space...calculate the estimated mileage of track you want to record...lets just say 200 miles...set the interval to say .10 mile...you'll need 2000 track points for recording...that leaves you with 8000 points to load saved tracks into the Active Track area...so in this example you load 20 in the Saved Tracks plus another 16 at 500 points each in Active Track and have space to record 200 miles of track at .10

1 - 12 of 12 Posts